Rogue One Rogue One: RT Watch Thread

Discussing flaws in a movie is one thing. You don't do that. You discuss the state of the franchise like they are doing it wrong, while they continually please fans, make a lot of money, and apparently have made the two best Star Wars movies since Luke, Leia and the droids watched the Rebel Fleet float through space. TFA is a damn good movie you go out of your way to complain about because it wasn't what you wanted out of Star Wars. Not that the movie was badly made, but not what you wanted. Which is your right of course, you still treat it like the vast majority is insane. And you complain about how others enjoy Star Wars.

Star Wars hasn't lost its ambition. It regained it, and in the process is delivering fine films.

I'm questioning people, their likings of it, and Disney handling of it. There's also a difference between me not liking what Disney is doing and what people like. You seem to think this is all one and the same. I don't mind that people like them. I've never said I have. But I am concerned that others don't question it too. I don't think people are insane (I was wrong to call people delusional) it's just they're giving this franchise too much credit and not looking past its flaws that give way to more serious problems. I don't complain about TFA because it's not what I wanted. I complain about it because it has serious flaws as a film first and through the criticisms are what could have been and the missed opportunity. I never went in wanting a SW movie to be one way or had a specific movie in my head. I just wanted something a better than what we got.

Last edited:
It's wrong according to your subjective view, or are you king of this mountain? The only excuse I see here is the one you are looking for to complain about new Star Wars.

Also going anywhere, means they can go anywhere, including 30 years post-RotJ. I am pretty sure the vast majority wanted to see what happened to Luke, Han and Leia. To see their kids. And that includes the filmmakers.

No one wanted to see that over used character. No one at all. Not the fans. Not the filmmakers. Not even Lucas. No one gives a flea's fart in a hurricane about Luke! There's new stories set thousands of years after Luke died that need to be told. The integrity of the franchise depends on it! :o

I'm questioning people, their likings of it, and Disney handling of it. There's also a difference between me not liking what Disney is doing and what people like. You seem to think this is all one and the same. I don't mind that people like them. I've never said I have. But I am concerned that others don't question it too. I don't think people are insane (I was wrong to call people delusional) it's just they're giving this franchise too much credit and not looking past its flaws that give way to more serious problems. I don't complain about TFA because it's not what I wanted. I complain about it because it has serious flaws as a film first and through the criticisms are what could have been and the missed opportunity. I never went in wanting a SW movie to be one way or had a specific movie in my head. I just wanted something a better than what we got.
Why do people need to question anything? You act like this is 2002 and we just walked out of a second straight disaster. You act like this is the DCEU and these movies are super divisive. You talk about credit being given as if you are the gate keeper here to how much credit should be given by people. Why?

You basically look at people and these critics, and tell them they are lying to themselves. I am lying to myself. Why?

And you are being false. You do have a specific movie you want, it is why you complain about the time period, their choices of ships, their enemies, etc. If you don't, why bring up setting the story in a different time?

I actually think that Saga films ARE something in particular, there's a way those actually should be. And TFA, to it's credit, tried to be that but in my view it didn't pull it off. However, Anthology films can and ought to be anything the filmmakers want it to be, because Star Wars give you an infinite sandbox to play in.

I guess it will stay in the 80's.

I guess I am happy with that :)
I'll be happy if I enjoy the movie on Thursday night. And I hope you do was well Venom. :up:

Last edited:
147 Reviews

123 Fresh

24 Rotten

84%

7.5 Average

Thanks, Darth. I hope you enjoy it as well. Seeing it on Thursday night too (in the UK).

Time passes the slowest in those final days/hours.

Thanks, Darth. I hope you enjoy it as well. Seeing it on Thursday night too (in the UK).
Thank you. :up:

What time will you be seeing it? Do they have 7pm showings there, or do you have to wait until midnight?

Personally, I suspect Lucas was bitter with TFA more that they abandoned his ideas than the fact that it was made "for the fans". It's just that those two things happened to be one and the same, haha.

It should be noted that he apparently loved Rogue One, and I suspect that's legit because I don't think Edwards would be gushing about that if it weren't. Lucas even stated back in 2005 that while he could never envision Episode VII happening, he was open to spinoff films. So I think this has been a dream of his for a while. The concept for Rogue One was also originally pitched to him as an episode of the live action SW series. I can see how he'd probably have an easier time enjoying this one. He's probably able to step into the world he created as a fan, which I believe he's always wanted to do, without the baggage of the story touching the Skywalker saga which is deeply personal to him. I'm sure the more overt political messaging appeals to him too.

Last edited:
Thank you. :up:

What time will you be seeing it? Do they have 7pm showings there, or do you have to wait until midnight?

I am seeing it in the afternoon. As for showings here in the UK, they even start at midnight tonight (Wednesday to Thursday). Due to circumstances, I am waiting almost a whole day until I see it.

The struggle is real :D

Glad this is getting good reviews. Hoping to find the time to see it before the week's out.

Sure, but I don't see what that has to do with this argument. In these terms, I'm talking about finding something new. How that worked is another discussion, but my point is, Lucas was always trying to find the next new thing and pushed boundaries. He created a platform for filmmakers to see what not to do. There wouldn't be the success of any of these movies if Lucas didn't fail. He was in total uncharted territory back in the 90's with the creation of these ideas. The PT were a platform for him to try new crazy things. Same with the original trilogy. To varied results, but my point is overall, they were fearless. Disney is going forward sure, but constantly looking over their shoulder and asking, "Now you're sure this is right?" In doing so, it's coming up with results that's partly there, but not completely. My problem is criticizing what's not there because there's clearly part of a major component that's not being filled yet and not enough people are talking about it.

It works for TFA, because it was appropriate but you can still pass the baton but still go crazy with it (by going crazy includes having a great story first and foremost). My problem is TFA not only held back, it knew it wanted to be held back. I got the sense of that all over. Now I'm projecting but people can correct me: For what exactly? To ease us back into SW? There's no rule for it at all. What? The audience and fans can't suddenly handle a high quality and totally fresh SW film? Is it too much for them? All Disney needed to do was not be the prequels and it would automatically be better and restore faith. My problem is, that's all their doing and then a bit more. It comes off that getting SW on track and making it be accepted by everyone was their first priority. Not just to make a great film.

Well I never felt that GL went that crazy or was fearless, you could tell there were many times he stopped himself etc. But that's for another argument.

What this seems to come down to with you and most of your posts even outside of the SW area that is always angry at Disney seem to be you thinking we are I'll just be honest, idiots, and settling sheep that will just take what ever we can get as long as it's well made.

No that is not how I am and I'm sure the majority of the people are. There is a reason the film was critically acclaimed, sorry nostalgia can only hold so much and most critics are not fanboys like us.

It just feels like this is more of a "against the system" "I hate Hollywood!" an argument that has been around since it was created. Like somehow LFL is artistically bankrupt and just is looking at marketing etc.

To most TFA is great not because it's similar to ANH in some respects, just like how many love Terminator 2, even though it is really the original almost beat by beat on steroids. It's because it is a great film, it's characters are amazing which to most is one of the most crucial moments. It was not seeing the Falcon alone that got people excited it was all the small character moments, BB-8 giving thumbs up, Kylo Ren freaking out, Han Solo's death, Finn facing his fellow brothers, Rey accepting her destiny, Finn facing his fear and fighting Kylo, the little moments between Rey and Finn, Poe and Finn's absolutely magnetic friendship where you can't help but smile. Unkar Plutt's character in general "One quarter portion...." "Tell that to Kanja Klub" Rey walking up the Jedi steps. It's all these things that stuck with people, and that made it so great. Even to some that agreed it was similar in aspects to ANH it still was a superb film to them with lots of new moments.

It's where I think too many act like TFA did nothing new, I will be the first to agree it does similar things to ANH the plot points are similar while the story and quest of the characters is quite different, there is a lot of uniqueness and risk that was taken, while other areas it did play it safe, which is okay.

A lot undermine how much risk it was to have a female, a black and a Guatemalan. Not only that but new fresh characters that went against some of the most iconic of all time and held their own and then some. Downplaying that just seems disingenuous. I remember many saying they were going to be mad that Luke was only in the film for a little bit and should have been in the entire thing afterward most did not care because the new characters were intriguing and lovable.

We could play the "It could have it should have" all day, I have with certain films. But the problem is with films as good as these and it seems Rogue One is pretty darn good if not as good as TFA, but especially with TFA films like this it's harder to play the "It should of, it could have game" Not that one cannot question things about it by any means. But saying that "If it would have been more fresh as well people would have just liked it the same" That's hard to say. But what we got was embraced and loved.

If Disney is 6-7 films in and they are still just making ANH plot structured films I would say yeah, even if they are good they need to move on. But it was one film, after one that had come out 40 years ago introducing a whole new generation and reintroduction to many others. But the second film even though with it's flaws it seems to be a film that really departs from the Star Wars norm. And shows that Disney is planning to go into new realms as well as the classic, and continue to evolve this as it goes down the road.

Rogue One shows they are far from "afraid" of trying new things. But it does not take away what a great film TFA was, and the good film that Rogue One seems to be. If all these films were really decisive and mixed I would say there is more room for those kind of arguments but right now Disney is doing a superb job.

So I hope this is not a looking down on us for any of this. A lot of your posts subtext feel like it comes off of "you are all sheep and just drinking the kool-aid". You may not intend, or you might but a lot of it feels more or less like that.

Up to an 85% now, abut 36 hours away for me.

The important thing is that it's steadily climbing. The Force Awakens still has 203 more reviews than Rogue One, currently. How many do you think Rogue One will get? I'm thinking it'll get close to 300.

TFA really has a huge amount of reviews I think it's the most I've ever seen for a film at 361. Most big films usually end around 300-320. So I figure around there.

Bad claymation. :argh:

:woot:

And I completely agree about a Star Wars films needing certain qualities. What is the point of a Star Wars film that doesn't feel like Star Wars?[/QUOTE

Star Wars is the one exception, in my opinion, to branding in movies. It's Star Wars. It IS the definitive science fiction block buster of all time

Nah

saw the ridiculous predictions on here, made my own.

Turned out my prediction was near after all.

BmGE9bM.gif

Turns out your prediction wasn't closer after all. By I am sure you won't be back to talk about that. :funny:

Why do people need to question anything? You act like this is 2002 and we just walked out of a second straight disaster. You act like this is the DCEU and these movies are super divisive. You talk about credit being given as if you are the gate keeper here to how much credit should be given by people. Why?

You basically look at people and these critics, and tell them they are lying to themselves. I am lying to myself. Why?

And you are being false. You do have a specific movie you want, it is why you complain about the time period, their choices of ships, their enemies, etc. If you don't, why bring up setting the story in a different time?

I'll chime in and say, some may have issues with Disney or the way things are being handled with SW. But yeah, in no way is it in the league with the DCEU. That universe is in peril critically, and is extemelu divisive. When NPR and the trades repeatedly report about the internal problems with WB handling of their D.C. properties, it has weight. And hopefully there's course correction.

Here it is just a matter of taste. But let's not neglect that both films have done well critically and financially (hopefully with R1).

I think we are looking at a 83-86 for this movie has it has been at 83-85 for a while going back and forth and we have around 100-150 more reviews left for this movie most likely and I don't see this changing by more then a few points now.

Careful with the audience reviews over at RT. Although most of them are 4 star and 5 star raves, they're giving away spoilers like crazy, even in the headers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"