Roland Emmerich Planning Battle of Midway Movie

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Roland Emmerich has plans to follow Independence Day Resurgence with a Battle of Midway movie

20th Century Fox tonight celebrated the 20th anniversary of Roland Emmerich’s Independence Day with a special screening of the 1996 sci-fi blockbuster on the studio lot in Century City, California. The film, which also gets a Blu-ray re-release this week, will soon get its long awaited sequel when Independence Day Resurgence hits the big screen June 24. Returning stars Vivica A. Fox and Jeff Goldblum joined Emmerich himself for a special pre-film Q&A. It was there that Emmerich announced that he’s currently developing a Battle of Midway movie.

The Battle of Midway began on June 4, 1942 and saw the United States Navy, over the course of the following several days, decimate an attacking Japanese fleet. Shortly thereafter, director John Ford produced an 18-minute American propaganda documentary that details the key elements of the battle.
Roland is no stranger to historical tales. He directed the 2000 American Revolution feature The Patriot and, just last year, the true civil rights drama Stonewall.
“At the time, the Americans were the underdog,” Emmerich told the crowd. It was one of those moments where, against all odds, people came together and did the impossible. A lot of pilots died in this battle. I want to make a monument to them and it would be great to make a movie about it.”

Any time Emmerich tries to "pay tribute" to a historical event it ends up having about as much depth as a shallow puddle by the side of the road.

I wonder if Emmerich being German will affect the movie. It might be even more anti-axis than we'd get from an American director.

I like WWII movies.....but it was getting harder and harder to make decent ones because all of the equipment (tanks, planes, ships) were getting scarce. But now with CGI you can put them in and make them look credible.....so I've been hoping for a resurgence in them. The last movie concentrating on the battle of Midway was the 1976 all star production aptly titled MIDWAY. It was a decent telling of the historical event but the battle scenes consisted mostly of actual newsreel footage and scenes from old war movies. They also tacked on a useless love story angle that took away from the seriousness of the movie.

I still have more confidence in him that I have in say, Michael Bay. So maybe if we're lucky this will end up like a WWII version of The Patriot. Not great, but decent and with some cool battle scenes and good performances.

He's not gonna be hurting for action scenes though. Some of the craziest air/sea fights took place during this thing.

He will show Nolan how to blow sh** up in war movie.

I swear, WW2 will never get old as far as making movies goes.

Hey I actually really like The Patriot so count me in.

Haha. I mean, this can't be any worse than Pearl Harbor. :oldrazz: **** it, color me curious.

I'd want someone with more gravitas to direct this. There's scope here to make something visually stunning, I wouldn't want it to descend into some cgi bore fest.

Oh cool.

Wait Emmerich, forget it.

Emmerich's such a weird one. Like, his really early work shows the guy at least has some potential and can work under the right circumstances, but pretty much everything after Independence Day is just - yeah, damn.

Like the other guy said though, The Patriot isn't half bad. *Shrugs* If he's looking to do something other than his usual blow-****-up-for-the-hell-of-it Bay mode, it might turn out decent enough.

Film News Roundup: Patrick Wilson Joins Roland Emmerich’s World War II Movie ‘Midway’

Patrick Wilson has joined Woody Harrelson, Luke Evans and Mandy Moore in the World War II action movie “Midway,” directed by Roland Emmerich. Wilson will play Edwin Layton, the rear admiral in the U.S. Navy who was part of the intelligence team that correctly pinpointed the location of the Imperial Japanese Navy’s attacking fleet near Midway Atoll in 1942. The damage to the Japanese fleet was so extensive that it never recovered and military historians regard the battle as a turning point in the war.

Ed Skrein Joins Roland Emmerich’s World War II Film ‘Midway’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Ed Skrein is joining Roland Emmerich’s World War II pic “Midway,” sources tell Variety.

He joins an ensemble that includes Woody Harrelson, Mandy Moore, Luke Evans, and Patrick Wilson.

Last edited:
https://deadline.com/2018/08/aaron-eckhart-nick-jonas-keean-johnson-tadanobu-asano-midway-roland-emmerich-1202443585/

Roland Emmerich’s big-budget epic Midway is ready to hit the high seas with Aaron Eckhart, Keean Johnson, Tadanobu Asano, Dennis Quaid and Nick Jonas among those joining the project.

Luke Evans, Woody Harrelson, Mandy Moore, Ed Skrein, and Patrick Wilson have already been revealed for the strong ensemble and they are now joined by Asano (Zatoichi), Eckhart (The Dark Knight), Johnson (Alita: Battle Angel), singer and actor Jonas (Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle), Quaid (Day After Tomorrow), Luke Kleintank (Man in the High Castle), Jun Kunimura (Kill Bill: Vol. 1), and Etsushi Toyokawa (Love Letter).

Wow, somebody's got some balls. But a WW2 movie is almost always a good.

Not minding the cast here, gotta say. Eckhart & Quaid seem to fit this type of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"