Roland Emmerich's 2012

I vote for a group of random people who just happen to cover every racial/ethnic type, hair colour and essential survival skill. :hoboj:

And the centre of whatever destruction it is will be New York City, of course. Where else? :whatever:

What a shame he isn't a better director. No one else can make epic without soul like Emmerich! :applaud

And they'll all be running from some big catastrophie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45268

Cusack in Talks for Emmerich's 2012
Source: Entertainment Weekly
May 19, 2008

Entertainment Weekly has learned that John Cusack is in talks to star in Roland Emmerich's (10,000 B.C., The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day) new disaster movie 2012 at Sony Pictures.

The film blends the idea of the Mayan calendar, which predicts the world ending in 2012, with natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, typhoons and glaciers plaguing the planet and a large cast of characters dealing with the mayhem.

Cusack would play Jackson Curtis, a divorced dad who alternates between writing and driving a limo.

The studio is targeting a July 10, 2009 release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45268

Cusack in Talks for Emmerich's 2012
Source: Entertainment Weekly
May 19, 2008

Entertainment Weekly has learned that John Cusack is in talks to star in Roland Emmerich's (10,000 B.C., The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day) new disaster movie 2012 at Sony Pictures.

The film blends the idea of the Mayan calendar, which predicts the world ending in 2012, with natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, typhoons and glaciers plaguing the planet and a large cast of characters dealing with the mayhem.

Cusack would play Jackson Curtis, a divorced dad who alternates between writing and driving a limo.

The studio is targeting a July 10, 2009 release.

Gotta love Cusack joining up.....

i hope it's more than just the Earth cleansing itself. RE has already done that movie with Day After Tomorrow. i want 2012 to involve something other-worldly. whether that means spiritual, alien, or even ancient...as long as they include a factor other than nature.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/jo...or-set-to-witnesses-the-end-of-the-world-4674

John Cusack & Chiwetel Ejiofor Set To Witnesses The End Of The World!!

Date: May 19, 2008

By: Edgar 'El Toro' Arce
Source: Variety

Just saw this piece of news regarding a member of the famous Cusack family….

According to Variety, John Cusack has signed on to topline to star in director Roland Emmerich's (10,000 B.C., The Day After Tomorrow) new disaster movie 2012 for Sony Pictures.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (Redbelt, American Gangsters) also is in talks to join the big-budget epic, which chronicles the end days of human civilization.

The title refers to the year the world is supposed to end after a global cataclysm. Story centers on an academic researcher who opens a portal into a parallel universe and makes contact with his double in order to prevent an apocalypse predicted by the ancient Mayan. Cusack is set to play Jackson Curtis, a divorced dad who alternates between writing and driving a limo. Emmerich wrote the script with his 10,000 B.C. co-writer Harald Kloser, and the duo will also produce the film.

Its funny how just this past weekend I was talking about how the world is suppose to end according to Aztec calendar, and now this happens!! A definite sign!! It should be interesting but I think I’m kind of worn out from all the end of the world stuff. What about you?

Should another end of the world film be done? Or do we pretty much know how its going to happen just from all the various films from the past?

I'm actually a huge fan of Cusack, so I'll see the film. And I actually really like the way El Mayimbe described the plot.

I was just reading something about the Crystal Skulls (from the new Indy movie), if the real ones aren't united by the year 2012, the world will end, apparently.

It should be about the discovery of Planet X and it hitting earth. That would be awesome.

Now i enjoy RE's movies like "ID4", "Stargate", "The Patriot" and even "Joey (a.k.a. Making Contact)", while "Godzilla" is my least favorite RE movie i liked it though.

This should be interesting.

I wonder if we will actually survive in this film?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot we already had the answer.

Cusack eh? I guess it's his turn to do the giant blockbuster thing.

Pretty solid cast being put together for this.

more people have been cast, including one of my fave actresses.

http://www.joblo.com/more-travel-to-2012

Roland Emmerich's latest disaster epic (or possibly "epic disaster", considering the budget is rumored to be near $200 million) is drawing more actors into its vortex of sci-fi devastation.

The thriller, called 2012, has lured decidedly sexy female specimen Thandie Newton. She's joined by the significantly less sexy but adorably roly-poly Oliver Platt, and Danny Glover, who's probably just still hoping for another LETHAL WEAPON while slurring through junk like SHOOTER. Glover will play the President with Newton as his daughter (interestingly, Newton is currently in the White House in a more ghastly form as Condoleezza Rice in Oliver Stone's Bush bio/comedy 'W').
The trio join the already-cast John Cusack and Chiwetel Ejiofor in the flick, which involves some nonsense about parallel dimensions, a Mayan-predicted apocalypse and a global cataclysm. Emmerich, who loves destroying the country/planet real good (INDEPENDENCE DAY, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW), wrote the script with his 10,000 BC co-writer Harald Kloser, so we can probably expect a similar level of excitement and logic.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45937

Peet Lands Female Lead in 2012
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
June 13, 2008

peet2012.jpg
Amanda Peet has landed the female lead in Roland Emmerich's epic disaster project 2012, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Peet is joining an ensemble cast led by John Cusack that includes Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Danny Glover and Oliver Platt.

The film revolves around a global cataclysm and the heroic struggle of the survivors. Peet is playing Cusack's ex-wife, newly married to a wealthy man. Cusack plays a divorced father trying to become a writer while holding a job as a limo driver.

Emmerich wrote the script with Harald Kloser, who is producing with Mark Gordon and Larry Franco. Emmerich also is executive producing with Michael Wimer and Ute Emmerich.

Barring an actors strike, the movie will shoot in July. 2012 is scheduled for a July 10, 2009 release.

im excited to see the world end

i hope we have a space shot of earth as it crumbles

Wow. This has a pretty amazing cast. I'm even more interested than before.

the movie should play like the cable guy
and through out the film we go to clips of people watching Tv and on tv is a movie awards show

and it has roland emmerich up for a major oscar and at the end he gets it and then all the power shuts off and the movie finishes

:up: for Oliver Platt joining the cast. Real real good cast being put together on this film. Should be pretty good.

Hmmmm.

I like the casting and I like the plot. Glad they incorparated some sci-fi stuff as opposed to just natural disasters. It truthfully sounds like a cross between Stargate and Independence Day.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/story-details-for-roland-emmerich-s-2012-4921

Story Details for Roland Emmerich's 2012!

By Kellvin Chavez on June 24, 2008

newspic4921.jpg

One of our readers, Dr. Strangefist was able to track down the first big spec script that Sony won in a bidding war after the writer's strike. The budget is rumored to be close to $200 million and already has John Cusack and Amanda Peet cast in lead roles.

The story blends the idea of the Mayan calendar, which predicts the world ending in 2012, with natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, typhoons and glaciers plaguing the planet and a large cast of characters dealing with the mayhem.

WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS LAY AHEAD

So here we have 2012, the latest magnum opus from disaster enthusiast Roland Emmerich. Hot on the heals of the disappointing prehistoric epic 10,000 BC, 2012 is a return to what Emmerich ostensibly does best – mass destruction. The hook this time around is the apocalypse itself; more specifically, the year of the title, which marks the end of the Mayan calendar and which many believe will be the end of the world. With the date rapidly approaching, the 2012 apocalypse theory has been a bit of a hot topic in recent years, and there has been rampant speculation been several books written on the subject. Mr. Emmerich likely saw in the theory a concept ripe for use in a big budget disaster movie. After all, the actual end of the world as we know it would surely make for the disaster movie to end all disaster movies. So does it actually live up to the promise of the concept?

Things get rolling in the near(er) future of 2009, as an American scientist named PROFESSOR WEST rushes to a research facility in India, where a colleague named SATNAM has made a mysterious but alarming discovery: it seems that there have been usually severe storms on the surface of the sun, which are having a grave effect on earth. Professor West contacts his friend ADRIAN HELMSLEY, a young scientific advisor to the president, and informs him of the ominous developments. Helmsley attempts to brief U.S. PRESIDENT WILSON on Satnam’s findings, but is stopped by pompous White House chief of staff ANHEUSER, who has it out for Helmsley.

From here, things move forward to 2010. By this time President Wilson is aware of what is happening, and calls a private meeting with seven other prominent world leaders at the G8 summit in Spain. What he has to tell them is that the world’s top scientists have confirmed that the world will soon come to an end. Meanwhile, in Tibet, the Chinese military displaces several villages and begins working on what is supposedly a massive dam-building project, Things jump forward another year to 2011 as more mysterious events unfold; a WEALTHY SAUDI discusses an enigmatic dossier and one billion dollar transaction with an MI-6 AGENT, and a group known as the World Heritage Foundation, headed by President Wilson’s daughter LAURA, is replacing priceless works of art such as the Mona Lisa with replicas and taking the originals to storage facility in the Alps for safekeeping.

Finally we reach the titular year 2012. By now, signs of impending doom have been steadily accumulating. The west coast is beset with so-called “mini quakes,” and fissures randomly appear in the earth. Nevertheless, people are going about their daily lives as usual, oblivious to the doom in store. We are introduced to JACKSON CURTIS, chauffer and aspiring novelist, who is rushing to pick up his two young children LILLY and NOAH from ex-wife KATE’S house in Los Angeles so he can take them on a camping trip in Yellowstone National Park. After a brief run-in with Kate’s standard issue new man, Porshe-driving plastic surgeon GORDON, the sort of happy trio is off on their camping adventure. Next we meet elderly jazz musician HARRY, conveniently enough the father of Adrian Helmsley, as he boards a cruise ship in San Fransisco to provide the onboard entertainment. As he tries in vain to convince bandmate TONY to contact his estranged son in Japan, the ship is suddenly rocked by an unexpected swell in the ocean. Back in Washington, Laura Wilson receives a call from a distraught museum director in France, who has just enough time to inform her that the World Heritage Foundation is a sham before his car explodes. It seems that he learned too much about the Foundation’s real purpose and had to be silenced. Laura is horrified to discover that she has been working for a front, and is further incensed when she realizes that both Adrian and her father knew what was really going on and didn’t tell her.

Meanwhile, Jackson and the kids arrive at Yellowstone to discover that the military and teams of government scientists, led by Adrian Helmsley, have taken over sections of the park for reasons they cannot fully reveal. Jackson also encounters crackpot radio host CHARLIE FROST, who believes that all signs point to a major catastrophic event beginning in California, spreading to Yellowstone, and eventually destroying the whole world. Jackson is understandably dubious, but back in Los Angeles the previously small fissures become massive, yawning cracks in the earth.

It appears that things are progressing faster than anyone anticipated, and we get our first inkling of what it is that world leaders are planning to do about it; they, along with select wealthy elite from across the globe, will board specially built ships that can weather nature’s wrath. Everyone else will be left to perish and the people from the ships will be left to rebuild civilization and repopulate the planet. Basically, Noah’s Ark for the new millennium.

Gordon and Kate narrowly avoid dying in a crevase in Los Angeles, and Jackson and the children rush back to find them. They arrive just in time to pick them up and escape as earthquakes ravage the city. Against all logic they return to Yellowstone to track down Charlie, who Jackson realizes was not as much of a crackpot as he initially thought, and who may be able to help them survive the rapidly approaching doomsday. Once again their timing is impeccable, as they reach the park just as it is turning into the world’s biggest active volcano. Our motley but determined band of protagonists once again narrowly escapes impending death, this time armed with details about the Arks and a map to their location. What follows is a race against time, earthquakes, dust clouds, and tsunamis as the various groups of characters make their ways across the globe (remember the displaced villagers building the dam in Tibet? Well, guess what they were really building) to try and be among the lucky few who are spared as the earth gets ready to flood Old Testament style.

As it turns out, the answer to the question posed in the introductory paragraph is a resounding NO. Who knew the end of the world could be so predictable? This is an almost completely by-the-numbers disaster movie, featuring all the requisite dubious science, silly and implausible set-pieces, narrative clichés, broad, one-dimensional characters, and heavy handed attempts at emotion and morals that one would expect from the genre.

Aside from the idea of the Arks there is really no aspect of this film that we haven’t already seen in dozens of other action, sci-fi, and disaster blockbusters. It is so steeped in predictability, ridiculousness, and cliché that it borders on self-parody. In the tradition of previous Emmerich blockbusters such as ID4 and The Day After Tomorrow, the obligatory action and destruction scenes are particularly bad offenders in this regard, featuring characters impossibly running away from massive explosions, dust clouds, and bizarrely personified cracks in the earth.

The script barely even hints at the details or origins of any of the real theories about 2012, suggesting that the association is mainly here just to cash in on a trend. Instead, Emmerich and co-writers Harold Kloser and Matt Charman shoehorn in several brief but glaringly awkward attempts at political commentary and even what could be construed by some as a few baffling jabs at religion. And of course everything leads to an unbearably neat and happy ending, despite the fact that the film is about the vast majority of the world’s population being wiped out.

It would have been great if Emmerich & Co could have injected some new life into this tired genre, but unfortunately, and not that surprisingly, all they are giving us here is more of the same.

I think Emmerich is a bit of a joke - haven't enjoyed a film of his since I4 and The Patriot.

The cast of this movie, however, has me very interested. I think I will see almost anything with Cusack in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"