Ron Howard is Directing the Han Solo movie

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Dec 12, 2017.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Let's talk about the current director of the Han Solo movie.

2. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I think that after one viewing I would lock Ron and the Kasdans down for a full trilogy. Howard working off the Kasdans' script and with the backing of Lucasfilm really delivered a nice, solid mix of old school movie making with new school aesthetics. We may never know what Lord and Miller's version would have been but Howard certainly didn't not deliver something too grating with it's humor or the like. Again though... I think you bring back both Howard AND the Kasdans. The solid script is no small help to a director.

3. Dave McFly

Dave McFly Darth Rey

yeah Howard did a great job love to see him doing a Lucasfilm fantasy film his first one since Willow which was wow 30 years ago.

4. titansupes

titansupes Registered

Totally agree. The Kasdans and Howard did great. Even if not a trilogy, at least let Howard return for one more to give it a good shot from the get-go, instead of doing a (fantastic) job of righting someone elses ship.

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

I think Larry's more or less said he's done after Solo, but no reason Jake couldn't come back to write or co-write with someone else.

And yeah, Ron nailed this.

6. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I think Jake might have even said that he'd like to do another, and include his favourite Bounty Hunter (Bossk).

7. Dave McFly

Dave McFly Darth Rey

I liked that his brother Clint had had his usual cameo I was almost expecting him to be in makeup as an alien lol

8. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Howard did a good job.

9. warhorse78

warhorse78 Registered

I know. It was also nice to see Ron's good friend, Warrick Davis, have a brief cameo in the movie.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Ron Howard didn't do a great job. The Kessel Run was the best looking and directed scene in the whole movie. But the rest of the movie isn't very inspired. Also, the movie looks ugly and unnaturally dark at times.

11. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I mean... Really Vile? Really? That sounds like churlishness for the sake of it.

12. Pink Ranger

Pink Ranger The North Remembers

I liked it. Ron Howard has never directed a bad movie IMO, and this time is no different.

13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Sorry being honest. Some of the worst lighting and cinematography I've ever seen for a Star Wars movie.

#13 TheVileOne, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  14. The Chris

The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

I have to agree. I'm seeing a lot of praise for this aspect, and usually I'm a big fan of dark and atmospheric visuals but not so dark that you can't see anything. It was baffling to me, especially when you know you're making a film that's going to be projected in 3D, where the glasses darken things further. This was definitely my worst IMAX 3D experience in terms of picture quality since Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

15. MeenieWK

MeenieWK Screw Loose

Go to a better cinema bro...

16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

I saw it twice. Once at an Arclight Hollywood and against at IMAX at AMC CityWalk. The latter is 4K DLP IMAX. That's the gold standard for IMAX projection. It's not the cinema. It's the film.

17. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

That is not at all the gold standard for IMAX projection. The gold standard for IMAX projection is 15 perf 70 mm film projection. 4K laser is not even close.The real deal is 18k resolution. But I digress...

18. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

I had the same problem. I was hoping it was the theater I was in.

19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Whatever. When they rolled it out, they called it their new gold standard projection system. It was supposedly their best and state of the art projection system.

My point is, I saw it in two different high level theaters, and the movie still looked unnaturally dark. These were far from sub-standard.

20. titansupes

titansupes Registered

I definitely noticed a few shots where it was too dark on Corellia and Mimban, but other than that I thought the movie looked fantastic. Truly felt like the "seedy underbelly" of the SW universe.

21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Corellia's meant to be this even-grungier Blade Runner industrial hellhole, and Mimban's a WWI frontline hellhole.

The rest of the movie didn't look like that. Obviously the choices made for those two planets were just that, choices. There's plenty of color and dynamic lighting in the rest of it.

22. Filmfan93

Filmfan93 The Man in Black

This film looked really beautiful. Great visuals and cinematography. A bit dark at places (I saw it in 2D at our local cinema), but I see them going with the same darker vibe with the spin-offs that Rogue One also had.

From the streets of Corellia, the train heist on snowy Vandor, the beautifully shot Kessel Run (my favourite sequence in the film), to the desert-y look of Savareen - this locations in the film looked gorgeous.

Howard did a great job, imo.

23. Pennywise

Pennywise Registered

I liked the movie, but it was also way too dark at my screening, I thought something was wrong with the screen.