Ronald D. Moore to Adapt Outlander series for TV

I enjoyed the first episode alot.

PS. Is it just me or is this somewhat similiar to Highlander? The name alone had me confused with Highlander and we got Scots! :b

I enjoyed the first episode alot.

PS. Is it just me or is this somewhat similiar to Highlander? The name alone had me confused with Highlander and we got Scots! :b

Well, there is no immortal, no swords fights and beheading.
When I first read the title I thought about the movie Outlander.

If I actually had Starz, I'd be so pissed all the times I forget this airs on Saturday.

I about missed tonight's episode cause I forgot it was a Saturday show.

Ep 2 sets things in motion. I really like the production value and costumes, my only problem are the accents, they are very strong ( for good reason ) and I can't find the English subtitle when I get the episode.

Yeah I was thinking about that as well. The accents and words are great and authentic, but Ive had to pay close attention and rewind a couple times. Not that I mind, but some viewers might not like it. Thankfully having read the first book Im somewhat accustomed to the way they talk, but hearing its a bit different from reading it. The most common colloquialism they use is "ken" which means "to know".

^^
yeah, I feel like I miss too much stuff and that bother me. I don't have this issue with American shows ( unless it is Texan accent by example ). Hopefully for me I can get the overall meaning through the images ( and my brain :p ).

Last edited:
I'm really trying to like this show, but nothing is really grasping me.

This show is getting better and better IMO. It's quickly becoming one of my faves. Last Saturday's episode, in particular, was ace. :up: Also... THE SCENERY! So beautiful. :hrt:

Last edited:
Good to see Claire changing her point of view on a society she only knows as an Historian.
Frustrating part : I didn't understand a single word of McKenzie speech.
Trivia about MyKenzie, I knew he looked familiar, and imdb confirmed it, he was in Gang of New York.

This seems more of a docu-drama (showcasing Scottish culture) than an actual tv series.

This seems more of a docu-drama (showcasing Scottish culture) than an actual tv series.

:huh:

The first book is full of Scots culture and the second book is full of Parisian court life and I assume the rest of the books are the same with whatever culture they take place in. Its one thing that makes these books so good imo. They really do the cultures and times justice. The reader has very little trouble falling into that world and experiencing it.

And its hard not to have that in the show. The character is stuck in 18th century Scotland a few years before the Rising that wiped out the Clans. Scots culture and their way of life is a central part of the plot. You cant have the show without establishing and showcasing it. The audience needs to soak this in and understand why the destruction of these people and their way of life is so tragic and why Claire decides to [blackout]try to stop the Rising and to save these people that she comes to love and respect.[/blackout]

Truth is if you were expecting a fantasy series thats not what this is. This series is a historical drama/love story. The time traveling rocks are so far the only fantasy aspect Ive found in the books.

Last edited:
I'd really like it if this show would use subtitles when people are speaking French and Gaelic. Can't imagine what they gain by leaving the viewers clueless about what's being said.

I was beginning to think they had cut Claire's beating and then ol' Blackjack showed his true colors. God, he is such a sadist!:argh:

Last edited:
Last night's episode was so brutal but I'm glad they didn't hold back. Damn. Black Jack Randall is E-V-I-L. Dougal was awesome.

I had to fast forward through the lashing. I took one look at the hamburger meat that was his back and about gagged.

I'd really like it if this show would use subtitles when people are speaking French and Gaelic. Can't imagine what they gain by leaving the viewers clueless about what's being said.

I was beginning to think they had cut Claire's beating and then ol' Blackjack showed his true colors. God, he is such a sadist!:argh:

The French part in this episode was of no interest, the Officer asked if Claire talked French, she said yes, then he went on and called her a "putain" ( smoree ).
For a moment I thought the Officer had inner conflicts but no, he's just sadistic.
I didn't watch the whole lash scene either, I could not bare the lad tartar steak back.
Btw, the Officer is Claire's husband ancestor right ? ( the razor heirloom ).

The French part in this episode was of no interest, the Officer asked if Claire talked French, she said yes, then he went on and called her a "putain" ( smoree ).
For a moment I thought the Officer had inner conflicts but no, he's just sadistic.
I didn't watch the whole lash scene either, I could not bare the lad tartar steak back.
Btw, the Officer is Claire's husband ancestor right ? ( the razor heirloom ).

Yeah Blackjack Randall is the ancestor of Claire's husband Frank.

Wow. That was just an incredibly vicious flogging scene. I watched it all though. Some of you need to toughen up. lol

Last edited:
It was uncomfortable to watch but I can't look away. :funny:

After watching the Passion of The Christ and most recently 12 Years A Slave i've become pretty de-sensitized to flogging scenes.

After watching the Passion of The Christ and most recently 12 Years A Slave i've become pretty de-sensitized to flogging scenes.

Ive seen Passion a lot and 12 Years once and this flogging looked visually worse to me. Sure the movies have the edge due to the subject matter, but visually this is the most disgusting flogging Ive ever seen. I can handle lashes and stripes and bone exposed, but Jamie's back was nothing but hanging strips of meat by the end. When someone's back starts looking like fresh beef I get a little sick.

Ive seen Passion a lot and 12 Years once and this flogging looked visually worse to me. Sure the movies have the edge due to the subject matter, but visually this is the most disgusting flogging Ive ever seen. I can handle lashes and stripes and bone exposed, but his back was nothing but hanging strips of meat. When someone's back starts looking like fresh beef I get a little sick.

I'm not sure why this is any lesser subject matter wise. :huh:

This one was worse.

The show really took it too far. For a show that prides itself on some authenticity this was pure fantasy. No one and I mean no one can survive a flogging like that. Lets put aside the blood loss. The shock alone would kill him. The brain cant process the amount of pain he would have been in. And then there is the infection. In the 18th century highlands he would have died of infection if the shock or blood loss didnt killed him. I know the book makes a point of saying how bad it was and his back was very scarred, but the lashing he got in last nights episode wouldnt leave scars lile he has because the lashing he got last night didnt leave enough healthy skin on his back to heal into scars.

It was just gratuitous nonense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"