Roommates: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been debating for awhile if I should get a roommate. It would be considerably cheaper rent wise, but the horror stories I've heard have made me hesistant. Do you guys have any stories to help?

I've been debating for awhile if I should get a roommate. It would be considerably cheaper rent wise, but the horror stories I've heard have made me hesistant. Do you guys have any stories to help?

The only 'shared house' experience I have is from my university days so we are talking 20+ years ago and it was a f**king nightmare. Unless you know the person moving in is someone you know exceptionally well and you know their habits and their 'level of cleanliness threshold' before hand and you know they chip in with their share the housework and things, and you're happy with all that, then fine, go for it, if not, walk away now.

So siblings, relatives, and good friends. I see Friends lies again. :o

I wouldn't house share with someone I didn't know anyway. Too much of a gamble.

I mean, it is a big gamble. Sometimes it ends up being a horror show. Sometimes it works out amazing.

I was going to live with my brother at one point, but his dependability was sketchy at best. He's a bit of a slob, but I told him to keep his filth restricted to his room and out of the living room, bathroom, and kitchen and we'd be good.

I've had one really bad and one really good experience (now one of my best friends for life).

Nice to hear that.

If it's any help to 'combat' my nightmare story in terms of house share, I was also in Halls of Residence prior to going into a shared house and met one of best friends in the world ever, and we are still best mates 24 years later so, it can work out.

So Friends didn't entirely lie.

Roommates are fine so long as the common areas are clean. My brother was awful about that. But my one roommate I had was pretty good at that. But he got behind on paying his end of the bills. Guess why he isn't my roommate anymore :o

Roommates are fine so long as the common areas are clean. My brother was awful about that. But my one roommate I had was pretty good at that. But he got behind on paying his end of the bills. Guess why he isn't my roommate anymore :o

Kitchen and Bathroom are key, if there s mutual understanding of cleanliness levels on these two, then there is a chance everything will be okay, plus as S-F indicates, the capacity to budget always is welcome.

It all depends on how much are you willing to give up, also!

Intimacy is always a complicated and sensitive (not sensible!) thing. If your room-mate decides to bring someone in for the night, you most probably will have to deal with uncomfortable noises and maybe even get to see things. This may also happen: a quick run to the bathroom and BAM! there's someone you don't know in there.

Also, you can be the one who decides to bring someone in, or maybe even throw a little birthday party or so and your room-mate can be a d!ck that day.

And the rules will be set 50\50 between you and your room-mate for you will not be entirely in charge of the place anymore. It's a SHARED rent and the other person will also be entitled to have a say.

It depends on how much you need that extra cash and how much are you willing to give up. I live alone and it's the best thing ever! I clean if feel like it (no one cares! The place is always clean, BTW... but If I want to clean late at night I can do it), I love loud music, I don't work on the weekends so I get to sleep until I feel like it all through Saturday and Sunday and no one bothers me.

Last edited:
Still searching for one and I got a lot of "is this REALLY a roommate situation? :sus"

Many years ago I shared an apartment with a friend who I've known since he was born (I'm 4 years older than him), and it ended our friendship for a very long time. We didn't get cool again until 2014, so that was about 14 years of us not being down...specifically me not wanting to have anything to do with him.

Dude kept the bathroom and kitchen a mess constantly. Would leave logs floating in the toilet, would pile dishes up and not wash them to the point we started getting roaches. Moved his girlfriend in without consulting me and she was just as filthy as him. They clogged up the shower to the point there was like six inches of filthy black water STANDING IN THE TUB. Had me washing up in the sink because I wasn't about to clean behind them like a freaking maid.Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that his filthy girlfriend didn't start paying a third of the rent when she moved in.

Needless to say I got the hell out of there. Didn't tell him jack squat just rented a u-haul and had a couple cousins help me get my stuff out. We're cool again these days but it's not like we see each other or hang out on a regular basis, and that experience kept me from ever doing the roommate thing again.

I recall a Hype member telling us that he came home and found his roommate and roomie’s girlfriend, passed out naked in the Hype member’s bedroom with vomit all over the hallway and bathroom. Like it had been sprayed from a hose.

Yikes

That sounds like Slacker Mike,

I think it was Kane numbers in name.

The only room mates I've had were in college. Some were awful, some worked well because we ignored each other. None of us became friends. I did stay in a house with two high school buddies for a semester and it was a pretty mixed bag. Sometimes we got along great, sometimes...not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"