The Rise of Skywalker ROS What went wrong (Spoilers Welcomed)

Chris Terrio. I feel like I'm more forgiving with JJ Abrams due to his track record. But Chris Terrio is credited as a writer in bvs and Justice League. And this is another misfire in his filmography as a writer. I'm baffled why Disney even hired that guy in the first place for a film like this.

Rian Johnson should have never been attached to do a "saga" film. I don't think the guy is a bad filmmaker by any means, but he wasn't right for a mainline entry in the series.

Riahn Johnson and that is is. TFA was amazing and TROSW was really good to and i enjoy TLJ but it hurt the franchise and if JJ did all 3 some of the things that happend in the first half of TROSW could have been used in TLJ instead and it would have helped the story and pacing of TROSW.

This movie is nothing more than a retcon of TLJ. Probably the greatest error of this film is that I just don't care about any of the main characters.

1. Bringing back the emperor, which took away the opportunity to turn Kylo Ren into THE big bad, which was more interesting to me.
2. Making Rey related to anyone. I loved that her parents were "nobody", and the idea that she was special because she just is.
3. Not giving more power to Luke's sacrifice by having the resistance's numbers be large at the beginning of the film, which i believe was what the end of The Last Jedi hinted at.
4. The predictably of Kylo Ren's arc. They're lucky that Driver sells it so well.
5. I was expecting less risks after ep 8 but damn, this was soft filmmaking. The cop out on potential game changing moments like with Chewie and C3P0 were sad.
6. This episode could have been a great opportunity to show just how much The Force Awakened. Apart of the journey could have been recruiting more force sensitive people in order to combat the knights of ren, and hinting at a new group of jedi for the new republic.
7. And just the overall flaws in pacing and character work im the film. They kind of are non-existent in this one.

Last edited:
1. The writing. Three film's worth of material crammed into 140 minutes and a constant need to pander to all the audience members who didn't like TLJ.

2. The Pacing. The film literally feels like it's being played in fast-forward.

3. More a problem with the overall trilogy, but the lack of any kind of blueprint really hurt this film in particular. I loved just how many mysteries were set up in TFA and couldn't wait to see them unfold. None of them did in ant satisfying way. And all the "shocking reveals" that this movie does give us have either A) no real foreshadowing in the previous films or B) Make little to no sense considering the events of TFA and TLJ.

Overall I can say that this was a fun time in the cinema but as an ending to a trilogy I've really enjoyed so far and a Saga that has defined my life it really should have been better.

1. This trilogy should have never existed. These characters were not the characters we were looking for. We all waited 30 years for the sequel to Luke’s story, and we didn’t get it. Even if they were going to diverge from the books so we could have Chewie back from the grave, the movies should have all been about Luke and his son.

2. The Last Jedi was supposed to be Luke’s return. Luke’s return was going to give us the movie we didn’t get from TFA, and it was expected his arc would be completed in the third act like Anakin’s before him…. So much for arcs.

3. No plan for the trilogy, and thus it doesn’t feel like a trilogy. This entry felt like there were three missing movies that came before it.

4. The pacing of the story.

5. A lack of emotional connection between the old trilogy characters and the new characters. Sidious is back and everyone suddenly has the feels about him even though he hasn’t been foreshadowed or mentioned once (am I mistaken?) in the last two films. It would have been better sense for a clone of Vader to have been brought to life because that is who has been foreshadowed (and we never even saw his force ghost). Sidious’ resurrection felt as connected to Ep. 7 and 8 as if Maul returned or if the First Order had found an ancient Sith frozen in carbonite and thawed him out to lead them in Ep. 9.

6. Underwhelming reveal about Rey’s identity. They built it up too much by not giving the goods in Ep. 8, and then it didn’t make any sense because they didn’t plan this out and it creates a plot hole about why Anakin Skywalker’s saber called to her or why she happened to be on the planet with the Falcon.

7. They could have designed this whole trilogy around the return of Sidious, and it would have worked, but that isn’t what it felt like. It felt like they didn’t know what the hell to do after Johnson killed Snoke in TLJ.

8. Ep. 8 and 9 were both sidetracked with meaningless side-characters like Rose and horse-girl-who-isn’t-an-Ewok in Ep. 9.

9. No Ewoks beyond a cameo despite RotJ clearly setting us up for an Ewok character (Jedi?) in the sequels.

10. This trilogy didn’t connect back to the prequel story until the 11th hour.

11. Disney and Kennedy ethnically cleansed the galaxy of Solos and Skywalkers as a massive middle finger to fans. Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers. Everything outside of the main series is just exposition. They could have made a KOTOR trilogy or Yoda trilogy if they didn’t want to touch the Skywalkers, but the House of M’s whole intent for this trilogy was to literally kill Han, Luke and the last of their family. Disney wants their Star Wars to be the Star Wars of tomorrow. Disney wants their characters to carry the story instead of George’s (Example: Galaxy’s Edge).

12. Rey Palpatine has replaced Mary Sue. Rey Palpatine is the new name for all overzealous, over-gifted characters without flaws or moral decisions to make.

Reactions: Bim
Here’s how I would have made the main arc of the new trilogy:

Force Awakens: Ben is still Leia’s son and has not yet turned. Luke is not an exile. The Galaxy is in relative peace when Luke feels a disturbance out there. They go to Jakku where they find Rey and Luke senses something about her. Ben is slowly being drawn to the dark side by voices and then turns at the end when he feels he’s been replaced by Rey as Luke’s apprentice and kills Luke. He goes off and finds the Emperor’s secret cult and starships and they turn to him as leader.

Last Jedi: Cut to a year later. Ben’s forces have basically started a new empire. Rey feels guilt for inadvertently causing Luke’s death. Ben is now Kylo and wants to make Rey his apprentice. He also is secretly trying to resurrect Palpatine through Sith powers as he believes Palpatine brought order to the galaxy.

Rise: Kylo finds redemption after Palpatine returns and kills Leia to try to finish off the Skywalker family.

Quite honestly, the answer is the script. I can cite many things about the movie I don't like, but almost all of them just boil down to the fact that the script wasn't good. It felt very fan fiction esque and like a first draft. Maybe if this movie had been delayed like an additional year and they got some time to iron out these details in the script better, then maybe it would have flowed better. But as it stands, the script was crap. No amount of lovely visuals or witty banter really save that.

I also think it is a cop out to blame the last movie for this one's failures. Even if I want to subscribee to the theory that the plot details didn't go according to the plan JJ Abrams had, that doesn't excuse bad writing. JJ could have come up with different solutions than he did, could have allowed the action and such to be staged in the strip in a way that allowed the movie to breathe a little, but you didn't do that. Instead we got this overstuffed mess of a movie. No one forced him to do that.

Last edited:
Rian Johnson being hired to make The Last Jedi.

TROS was awesome though.

Here’s how I would have made the main arc of the new trilogy:

Force Awakens: Ben is still Leia’s son and has not yet turned. Luke is not an exile. The Galaxy is in relative peace when Luke feels a disturbance out there. They go to Jakku where they find Rey and Luke senses something about her. Ben is slowly being drawn to the dark side by voices and then turns at the end when he feels he’s been replaced by Rey as Luke’s apprentice and kills Luke. He goes off and finds the Emperor’s secret cult and starships and they turn to him as leader.

Last Jedi: Cut to a year later. Ben’s forces have basically started a new empire. Rey feels guilt for inadvertently causing Luke’s death. Ben is now Kylo and wants to make Rey his apprentice. He also is secretly trying to resurrect Palpatine through Sith powers as he believes Palpatine brought order to the galaxy.

Rise: Kylo finds redemption after Palpatine returns and kills Leia to try to finish off the Skywalker family.

I like this. At least your ideas for TFA and TLJ.

1. Disney's lack of planning
2. JJ's lack of originality
3. Bringing Palpatine back without alluding to his involvement in prior films and forcing him into the final film
4. Luke and Leia knowing Rey is a Palpatine
5. Finn suddenly being force sensitive
6. Ren's sudden turn to the light side because his mother whispered his name
7. Han showing up as a memory?
8. A lack of danger for any of the main characters
9. Leia's send off
10. The lack of an epic lightsaber fight
11. The entire plot-- a wayfinder scavenger hunt that meant nothing at the end of the day

JJ Abram's lack of originality.

I completely agree with this as well. Which doesn't really contradict my prior point about the script being the core problem since he helped write this movie. But in general, Abrams is not a wonderful director in my opinion. Yes his movies look very professional and visually appealing and he can come up with some dynamic action sequences, but when it comes to the story end of his movies he almost always drops the ball for me. His movies are rarely about anything, and if they are it's not really overall important to the movie. Especially in his genre filmmaking here with the Star Wars and Star Trek films. All he does is a greatest hits version of better movies with some new window dressing. That's it and that does not do a lot for me.

The script is easily the biggest issue. JJ isn't a strong writer and adding someone like Chris Terrio definitely didn't help things. I cringed so hard at his wannabe "I am Ironman" line he gave Rey.

The script is easily the biggest issue. JJ isn't a strong writer and adding someone like Chris Terrio definitely didn't help things. I cringed so hard at his wannabe "I am Ironman" line he gave Rey.

Yeah, that exchange felt very fan fic quality. Awful.

Terrio decided to add "x place is abandoned/no one is here" lines to satisfy a check list of online criticisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"