Batwoman Ruby Rose WAS Kate Kane/Batwoman

I think they’re more worried that they’re going to make it the “Girl Power!” to this show’s Supergirl.

No one is against the character being gay.... I haven't read any homophobic comments about the character... well at least on here.

People here seem really worried that a gay character is going to be gay.

I think it's more that people don't want that to become the main thing that dominates the entire show. She should just be a superhero that happens to be a lesbian, and that can be in the background.

Even with other CW shows, there is often too much focus on their love interests. Arrow is better when it doesn't have too much Olicity and is just more plot and action oriented. The love scenes in Arrow (eg the one with Olicity in Panda Narbat) was so cringe-worthy to watch.

I didn't see a lot of fans worried that heterosexuality was going to define Arrow or Flash. The complaints about the love interests in those shows aren't framed as critiques of too much heterosexuality, but people are already complaining that Batwoman will be too focused on homosexuality. Even if it is, so what? This is the first ever queer lead of a superhero adaptation. It is a big deal.

Last edited:
Maybe the reason why fans don't express worries about heterosexuality characters is they've grown up with it (parents) and that they're themselves are heterosexuals so therefore its normal to them. Also Oliver or Barry's love life is not the only thing that defines them as characters.

Okay the character is gay and that's absolutely fine. But being gay shouldn't be a big deal which is my point and it should be treated like its normal (like heterosexuality). I simply don't want her being a lesbian to be the only thing that's interesting about the character.

Last edited:
Okay the character is gay and that's absolutely fine. But being gay shouldn't be a big deal which is my point and it should be treated like its normal (like heterosexuality). I simply don't want her being a lesbian to be the only thing that's interesting about the character.
Being gay is a big deal. It's a big enough deal for some people to be attacked for being gay or having opportunities in their life restricted. You want a character who is gay but completely stripped of what it means culturally to be gay. Batwoman's sexuality makes her different, you can't ignore that.

And do you really think a season that will likely have 20+ episodes 45 min each will only focus on romance or whatever it is you're worried about? The brief series description already defined different interlocked elements of her character.

And do you really think a season that will likely have 20+ episodes 45 min each will only focus on romance or whatever it is you're worried about? The brief series description already defined different interlocked elements of her character.

Have you watched a CW show before? :sly:

I'm not saying that gay people aren't being attacked and that homophobia doesn't exist. All I'm saying that Batwoman should be a character who has motivations and dreams but happens to be gay. Who you sleep with doesn't define who you are as a person. I guess we have different perspective on the matter and I don't want to derail this thread any further.

I didn't see a lot of fans worried that heterosexuality was going to define Arrow or Flash. The complaints about the love interests in those shows aren't framed as critiques of too much heterosexuality, but people are already complaining that Batwoman will be too focused on homosexuality. Even if it is, so what? This is the first ever queer lead of a superhero adaptation. It is a big deal.

They don’t worry about it because it wasn’t required that the lead actors actually be heterosexual men. The only people calling attention to the fact that Batwoman is a lesbian are the ones who’re creating the show.

And you know what? That’s fine. Be proud of that. Celebrate that. I’ll never say that it isn’t a big deal. But you don’t have to be obnoxious or heavy handed about it, and frankly, I don’t trust whatever group of writers Berlanti is going to assemble to do it any other way. One of the reasons I stopped watching SG is because of its obnoxious delivery of an ideology that I actually support: that women are just as strong and capable as men. At that point, it stops being about the message and more about the godawful writing that just beats you over the head with how progressive it is. And that’s coming from a very liberal man.

In any case, you could argue that heterosexuality DOES define Arrow and Flash, because there is such an emphasis placed on romantic relationships on those shows.

I have no problem with her sexuality. Being honest, it's actually a draw for the character, but I do hope anything in the dialogue related to her being a lesbian is not interspersed into every other sentence in the script.

It will come up and it will more than likely come up in relation to Alex and her (if any) interactions with Kane. When it does I hope they do it, and continue to do it, with Supergirl's level of maturity in the way they dealt with Alex coming out.

And then leave it in the background while Batwoman gets on with the job of kicking criminal bootay!

Being gay is a big deal. It's a big enough deal for some people to be attacked for being gay or having opportunities in their life restricted. You want a character who is gay but completely stripped of what it means culturally to be gay. Batwoman's sexuality makes her different, you can't ignore that.

Yes I can ignore it because being a lesbian doesn't impact her abilities as a superhero. Batman didn't recruit Kate because she was a lesbian. He doesn't care so why should I?

Maybe not 20+ episodes, but enough and subtly enough to make me roll my eyes and give up on it. That's why I gave up on Legends of Tomorrow; so much forced socio-political commentary in season two that I couldn't take it anymore. This is the CW network though so who knows. Given what season one of Supergirl was, I wouldn't put it past them to shoehorn commentary into Batwoman.

Have you watched a CW show before? :sly:

I'm not saying that gay people aren't being attacked and that homophobia doesn't exist. All I'm saying that Batwoman should be a character who has motivations and dreams but happens to be gay. Who you sleep with doesn't define who you are as a person. I guess we have different perspective on the matter and I don't want to derail this thread any further.
Well Said.

It would be funny if Batman thought to himself "Batwoman is gay so therefore I should recruit her to show how progressive I am".

Last edited:
She has a bad agent like Chopra because she was in XXX and now that Meg movie.
I actually think she must have the BEST agent, because despite being fairly new to the scene (and not at all being a good actress) she's appeared exclusively in known properties.

The Meg
Pitch Perfect 3
John Wick: Chapter 2
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Orange Is the New Black

Most new actresses would kill for that kind of CV. And now she's Batwoman in her own show. Maggie Q had to work a lot longer and harder before Cw gave her Nikita.

Last edited:
Maybe she'll have her own salmon ladder.

Damn, I hope so. That scene of Sara Lance on the salmon ladder from Arrow is still ingrained in my memory - it was so awesome to see her doing Oliver’s trade mark exercise / feat of strength and skill.

Damn, I hope so. That scene of Sara Lance on the salmon ladder from Arrow is still ingrained in my memory - it was so awesome to see her doing Oliver’s trade mark exercise / feat of strength and skill.

If Ruby Rose has trouble doing it, she can start at the other end on the top and jump down a rung at a time to make her way down instead. That will put a new spin on it. :o

I actually think she must have the BEST agent, because despite being fairly new to the scene (and not at all being a good actress) she's appeared exclusively in known properties.

The Meg
Pitch Perfect 3
Orange Is the New Black

Most new actresses would kill for that kind of CV. And now she's Batwoman in her own show. Maggie Q had to work a lot longer and harder before CV gave her Nikita.

Indeed. She could be doing a lot worse.

Most new actresses would kill for that kind of CV. And now she's Batwoman in her own show. Maggie Q had to work a lot longer and harder before Cw gave her Nikita.

Especially given that Maggie Q is actually a good actress. (In fairness all I've seen Ruby Rose in are Dark Matter and Pitch Perfect neither of which really gave her a chance to really act.)

A nice little skit with Ruby Rose.

Ruby Rose Tries 9 Things She's Never Done Before.
I like what she says just after 3m30.

[YT]HVFRJHj5Ijo[/YT]

Other thoughts on her casting.
I'm they cast a queer actor, on the other hand, I think I was hoping for an unknown. Looking at this, it kinda feels like the CW saw Ruby Rose and saw "Movie Star" and snatched her up without really doing any thinking. That said, I'm glad she's excited for this and am hoping this is the kind of role that allows her to really open up as an actor.

The Meg
Pitch Perfect 3
Orange Is the New Black

Maggie is also Asian and not considered HOT like Ruby Rose is.

Ruby is about as much of a movie actress as Katie Cassidy was before she stopped having bit roles in big movies.

Ruby is about as much of a movie actress as Katie Cassidy was before she stopped having bit roles in big movies.

She has far greater name recognition though than Katie Cassidy ever did (mostly thanks to social media/changing times).

Huh? :huh: I wouldn't really consider Ruby Rose hot. She sometimes seems a bit masculine. I'd rather take Maggie Q over her.

What you consider hot and hollywood...she's very much of an IT girl.

The Meg
Pitch Perfect 3
Orange Is the New Black

I'm surprised that she's willing to do a TV show due to her movie career. It's impressive CW managed to pull this off as they usually go for a unknown actor for leads of their TV shows e.g. Stephen Amell but instead they hired someone with a name recognition and a huge following in social media e.g. Instagram.

It's a lead role in a proven franchise, with her name top and center. Plus, listening to her talk, it's apparent she has a love for the character.

As for attractiveness, the only turn-off for me are the tattoos. Ruby Rose is a beautiful woman and she looks the part.

Also, seeing her in JW2, we know she can do fight scenes and can certainly carry an intense, 'don't mess with me' look. And though I've never watch Orange is the New Black, I've watched clips of her and liked her acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"