Ruby Rose IS Batwoman

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Speed Force, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Black Canary's also done it.

2. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    That's a fair point.

3. Thome216 Registered

Those are also stories of the heroes initial journey. When they are finding the way in which they will identify themselves as well as how they will look. If they end up doing this, showing the character becoming the Batwoman we see in the comics then I would fine with that.

Especially if it's so that there will be no Batman in relation to her character. He was the arch-type for her look, so unless they come upon her fully fledged in the crossover, they would have to show her progressing to it. That's why I really hope they merge their origins together (if there is no Batman at all on whichever universe she ends up in.) If she is that universes Batman, then using his origin and the reason for the batsuit is easily acceptable. To me anyway...

As to the wig, it's as much costume as the mask. It just further muddles the description of the vigilante (same as with Black Canary) and I think could even be considered iconic. It's such a strong visual difference from Batman, that when I think of Batwoman, and not so much Kate Kane, I imagine that shock of red hair that echoes the red in her suit.

Plus, I think if they just had her wearing a smooth cowl, people might accuse her of looking too much like Batman. Or Batgirl. Batwoman has the red hair.

Came across this on the Twit.

[​IMG]

#153 Thome216, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  4. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Nice pic. I'll be surprised if the costume looks that good though!

5. Thome216 Registered

I'm really hoping they put a lot into it. That pic is just missing the mask.

6. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'm hoping that the fact this is freakin' Batwoman will convince them to go the extra mile with the costume. If it's as good as Robin's costume on Titans I'll be pretty happy.

7. Thome216 Registered

With all the shows, the suits of the central heroes all turn out to be pretty good. I'm hoping it'll continue here.

8. XStreme Skins Registered

When I heard about Batwoman being in the crossover and getting her own show i was indifferent to the news. After Ruby Rose was cast it piqued my interest in the character. I can't explain but she seems right for the role. If she is good in the crossover I will give her show a go.

9. The Infernal Mky Mk

That's a really awesome pic. Hope the suit is good and the show too. Haven't really paid much attention to Batwoman before, but I like the concept of her.

10. Thome216 Registered

I started buying the volumes of her 52 run, and so far they are really good! I just hope they keep to the spirit of the comics as often as possible.

11. LoganGambit87 Registered

12. Thome216 Registered

Idiots come with all stripes.:cwink:

13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Isn't that old news?

14. The Infernal Mky Mk

A few days old at least. It's not that surprising though given certain people have been pushing that attitude. I have to imagine how it would have went down if the actress cast had actually been straight.

15. Thome216 Registered

Maybe a lot better. I think they loaded the 'angst' when they went for a lesbian actress only.

16. Teelie Jokerface

Even if she were "lesbian enough" then she wouldn't be "Jewish enough" or tall enough or strong enough or some other whiny complaint because there can't be a casting without controversy anymore.

17. The Infernal Mky Mk

Not quite sure what you mean there. Personally I think if they had cast a straight actress it would have been worse because they would still feel safe harassing her because it's fine in their belief.

Sadly this seems to be the direction some are headed down.

18. WhoMani Registered

Honestly if they've cast a straight actress then these idiots would have accused the showrunners of being homophobic.

19. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'll bet they were patting each other on the back when they cast RR. I can't imagine they foresaw the scale of some of the over-reaction.

20. Teelie Jokerface

Really. Can you think of a single casting choice over the past decade that didn't have someone complaining the character was miscast? It's always been this way but the echo chamber that is the internet has amplified it far beyond what it ever was. And much more contentious too. It used to be a lot more civil. Now people get all righteous and downright vicious over it.

21. Travesty Registered

So when do you think we'll get a costume reveal?

22. Thome216 Registered

If they had just hired an actress without care or publication of sexual preference then it would not have been so prevalent in people's thoughts. I keep coming back to Alex. Yes, she came before we knew the character was going to be a lesbian but most people can't fault her portrayal.

I feel that they make this stuff even more energetic when they load it up with expectations, rather than just finding a good actress who can do credit to the role and leave it at that. Sure, people will find a soap box from which to complain from, but there is no reason to add to the 'noise.'

23. The Infernal Mky Mk

But Batwoman in the comics is a lesbian. That mob of people would be taking an interest in any Batwoman adaptation. I don't get the sense in blaming CW for her casting. These trolls find controversy.

24. Thome216 Registered

True that!

But I think they spiced it up more than it needed to be. I think they did good hiring RR, as what I've seen so far I've liked, but you don't have to be gay to play a gay character or vice-versa. Nor should they be setting the precedent that says you have to be handi-capped to play handi-capped, gay to play gay, straight for straight, etc etc etc...

I know that's apparently a big push, but there's no reason to feed the trolls.:cwink:

#174 Thome216, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  25. WhoMani Registered

Honestly I believe you hire the best person for the job regardless if the character is gay or not. But if its a trans characters then it becomes a grey area... but that's a different discussion. I feel like CW only decided to audition lesbian actresses just so they can show how progressive they are and that they're fully behind the LGBTQ community... but it backfired.

#175 WhoMani, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018