Batwoman Ruby Rose WAS Kate Kane/Batwoman

The costume and cowl look great IMO, though the hanging-over-the-edge emo hair thing is irking me.

4ISUTnU.jpg

That costume is better than anything post-BReturns and pre-Nolan.

So it's better than anything in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin is what you're saying?

I mean, the costume is great, but that's not exactly a high bar to surpass.

Also, great tease tonight:

As 20 second-clips go that one is pretty darned cool :)

Also, is that the Joker at the 5 second mark, leaping off those steps? Looks like he has green hair and there's definitely a laugh playing as he jumps.

Definitely felt like a Joker-esque character between the laugh and hair.

Though if I'm honest, and it's not much to go off of from a teaser, that laugh sounds less Joker-like and more like...one of those plushie toys you'd get when you were a kid and if you squeezed it in the right spot, it would laugh.

So it's better than anything in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin is what you're saying?

I mean, the costume is great, but that's not exactly a high bar to surpass.

The costume looks awesome on live action and they did a good job with the costume as it miles better than anything Batman Forever or Batman and Robin which again isn't a high bar but on TV budget it looks cool. I would say that it's almost as good as the Nolan's Batman costumes.

I don't dislike that costume at all, especially for a TV version it's very credible IMO.

I want to see this series focus on her as a vigilante and stay away from her being lesbian too much. Use shuttle hints and relationship but not focus on it. The focus should be on her being a crusader learning, to be her own and as a detective take down Gotham worse criminals. There's a difference showing who she is compared to what she is, don't let what get in the way of who she is as in Kate aka batwoman and protector but what she is lesbian should help her but not be the main focus of this show. I am definitely still going to watch the series though if it is made.

I want to see this series focus on her as a vigilante and stay away from her being lesbian too much. Use shuttle hints and relationship but not focus on it. The focus should be on her being a crusader learning, to be her own and as a detective take down Gotham worse criminals. There's a difference showing who she is compared to what she is, don't let what get in the way of who she is as in Kate aka batwoman and protector but what she is lesbian should help her but not be the main focus of this show. I am definitely still going to watch the series though if it is made.
This being the CW I think that the character already being a lesbian and the fact that the makers went out of their way to cast a lesbian actress will mean that aspect of her character will feature pretty heavily.

This show will shown on CW and the shows on CW aren't subtle when it comes to politics. So I have no doubt they will focus more on her sexuality than her as a vigilante but I hope they prove me wrong.

Supergirl had a dedicated storyline about Alex coming out. With the other DC/CW shows, the existence of gay characters has been (I think?) more “incidental.” But as the saying goes, everything is political. Thus, the normalization of gay relationships is, in itself, a statement. It remains to be seen which approach Batwoman will take (should a series be greenlighted). Relationship melodrama, though, is a sure bet; it is the CW. :cwink:

The writers on Supergirl handled Alex's coming out really well. As opposed to their political points, it was far less of a bat to the head and far more 'organic.' It's one of my favorite story lines, mainly because it was handled and acted so well.

We don't know yet how any writers will handle Kate Kane's personal life, if the show goes ahead which I'm really hoping it is. With most TV shows being a reflection of our society, and lesbian/gay lifestyles still being seen as outside of the mainstream, I would assume it will not be treated as 'normal' or inconsequential.

That being said, I do hope they don't go out of their way to make a point of it, as for example...

'And who the Hell are you!?" demanded the enraged criminal.
'I am Batwoman, and I am a lesbian!
'

...shouldn't be the answer.

I don't expect them to ignore it either. Whether straight or not, a hero's personal life is an important part of the storytelling.

When Vixen had her would-be (live action) backdoor pilot on Arrow, the first dialogue was something like this:

Criminal: Why don't you come out and face me like a man?

Vixen: How about I kick your *** like a woman?

The thing is, up until that point the show had never focused on vigilantes being female. It was always just treated as normal, but when the possibility of a female-fronted show came up, they wasted no time in bringing it up. I'm not sure exactly why; maybe it's because they lack faith in a female-led superhero show that doesn't specifically try to court female viewers, or maybe they just think they'll get extra ratings by selling female empowerment. Regardless, even if they haven't made that much of there being supporting gay characters on these shows, that doesn't mean Batwoman won't treat it as a big ****ing deal.

That said, while I haven't watched Supergirl, the impression I've gotten is that it eventually cooled off on the "women can kick ***, too" angle. So maybe Batwoman will start off beating this particular drum but eventually settle into a show where she happens to be gay.

Oh yeah I remember when Vixen was supposed to be the original Supergirl until the actresses didnt want to commit and then we got actual Supergirl who became the new trinity.

Oh yeah I remember when Vixen was supposed to be the original Supergirl until the actresses didnt want to commit and then we got actual Supergirl who became the new trinity.
Would've been down for that. Could have been the discarded Flarrowverse character depository rather than Legends as I'm not sure she has a sizable rogues.

Yes, there was all this 'Yay, we're introducing... Vixen!' but then after a while things just seemed to fizzle out. Even in Invasion! and Crisis on Earth-X they didn't really seem to know what to do with her.

Well by then she was a supporting character and not even the original who was meant to form the Flarrowverse Trinity.

When Vixen had her would-be (live action) backdoor pilot on Arrow, the first dialogue was something like this:

Criminal: Why don't you come out and face me like a man?

Vixen: How about I kick your *** like a woman?

The thing is, up until that point the show had never focused on vigilantes being female. It was always just treated as normal, but when the possibility of a female-fronted show came up, they wasted no time in bringing it up. I'm not sure exactly why; maybe it's because they lack faith in a female-led superhero show that doesn't specifically try to court female viewers, or maybe they just think they'll get extra ratings by selling female empowerment. Regardless, even if they haven't made that much of there being supporting gay characters on these shows, that doesn't mean Batwoman won't treat it as a big ****ing deal.

That said, while I haven't watched Supergirl, the impression I've gotten is that it eventually cooled off on the "women can kick ***, too" angle. So maybe Batwoman will start off beating this particular drum but eventually settle into a show where she happens to be gay.

Well, I'm hoping they'll already be along the learning curve without having to retread it.

As to the 'kick you *** like a woman?' line, I actually have no problem with it. Granted, I came along well after that story arc and never saw it, but considering she is a woman and not a man as she was being called out as, it seems like a minor thing. I'd actually view it as similar to the Flash's line in the first crossover when facing Livewire and Banshee.

'...why don't we settle this like women..?' :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"