RUMOR: Superman game in the works

I mean, really? The lack of a dash is that big of a deal? I don't even know if a lot of people would consider that a real "misspelling." Not saying it's real, but that's a pretty pedantic detail to lock onto.

The GIF makes it look real to me. I don't know how anyone would go that far to fool people.

just noticed something......

isn't Kal El supposed to be spelled Kal-El?

if this were real, I doubt they would make such a misspelling.

so........now I'm starting to think it's fake.........:(

unless it's a very early work in progress.

Its odd you mentioned that because it says "kal-el" in the actual bio.
If it's early work Alpha or beta stage level. that usually get's fixed via game testers (in house or out sourced) so I wouldn't worry about the dash part . there are game test for that specially.

But we'll have to wait & see how much of this is real.

Last edited:
I'm telling you...

1398229070837.gif

I've been wanting WB/DC to do a Superman game since I played Arkham Asylum. Ever since I hear that Factor 5 worked on a Superman and the game got canceled because the studio had too shut down, no other cancelled game pissed me off more.

And I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the canceled Maul game and canceled 1313 didn't piss me off as much as Factor 5's Superman.

Factor 5 were the developers behind the Star Wars Rogue Squadron series. As a kid, I ****ing loved Rogue Squadron on the N64 and on the Gamecube. Having those guys do a Superman and based off the concept art and the videos would have been epic. It's a damn shame Factor 5 is no longer in business but that's more Lucas's fault for NOT HAVING LUCASARTS PUBLISH AN ALREADY COMPLETE ROGUE SQUADRON REMASTERED SERIES FOR THE WII WITH ALSO 2 PLAYER LIGHTSABER FIGHTS THAT EVERYONE WANTED FOR THE WII!!!!!!

Back to the topic, while I love Batman more, we've had 4 great Batman games were before we had 0. Sure there were some that were ok but none could touch the Arkham games. I want nothing more than a Superman game on the Arkham games level. There's too much potential not to try.

I mean, really? The lack of a dash is that big of a deal? I don't even know if a lot of people would consider that a real "misspelling." Not saying it's real, but that's a pretty pedantic detail to lock onto.

is it a big deal?

well, if one is a stickler for details, then yes it is. :o

:oldrazz:

it would be like if the official Spider-Man movie poster said Spider Man or Spiderman on it. The lack of the hyphen would make it a misspelling, since Spider-Man is the correct spelling.

so, if Kal-El is the official, correct spelling of the character's name, then anything without that hyphen is technically a misspelling.

now, personally, I didn't even realize there was a hyphen in Kal-El's name. I honestly never gave it much thought until I looked it up today to see what the official spelling was to compare to that game image.

I've probably just used Kal El or Jor El when talking about the characters here. but then, I'm not working on a big budget video game.

if you are putting out a product that's meant to be sold for commercial consumption, then I would think ( and hope ) you would do enough quality check on it to make sure the character's name is correctly spelled, no matter how trivial it might seem.

Last edited:
The GIF makes it look real to me. I don't know how anyone would go that far to fool people.

yeah. that would certainly be an elaborate fake to make the whole thing animated.

If it's early work Alpha or beta stage level. that usually get's fixed via game testers (in house or out sourced) so I wouldn't worry about the dash part . there are game test for that specially.

But we'll have to wait & see how much of this is real.

I really hope you are right, zenith. I hope you're right.

I'm telling you...

1398229070837.gif

I've been wanting WB/DC to do a Superman game since I played Arkham Asylum. Ever since I hear that Factor 5 worked on a Superman and the game got canceled because the studio had too shut down, no other cancelled game pissed me off more.

And I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the canceled Maul game and canceled 1313 didn't piss me off as much as Factor 5's Superman.

Factor 5 were the developers behind the Star Wars Rogue Squadron series. As a kid, I ****ing loved Rogue Squadron on the N64 and on the Gamecube. Having those guys do a Superman and based off the concept art and the videos would have been epic. It's a damn shame Factor 5 is no longer in business but that's more Lucas's fault for NOT HAVING LUCASARTS PUBLISH AN ALREADY COMPLETE ROGUE SQUADRON REMASTERED SERIES FOR THE WII WITH ALSO 2 PLAYER LIGHTSABER FIGHTS THAT EVERYONE WANTED FOR THE WII!!!!!!

Back to the topic, while I love Batman more, we've had 4 great Batman games were before we had 0. Sure there were some that were ok but none could touch the Arkham games. I want nothing more than a Superman game on the Arkham games level. There's too much potential not to try.

I feel the same way.

You don't understand the lengths people will go to disappoint others.

is it a big deal?

well, if one is a stickler for details, then yes it is. :o

:oldrazz:

it would be like if the official Spider-Man movie poster said Spider Man or Spiderman on it. The lack of the hyphen would make it a misspelling, since Spider-Man is the correct spelling.

so, if Kal-El is the official, correct spelling of the character's name, then anything without that hyphen is technically a misspelling.

now, personally, I didn't even realize there was a hyphen in Kal-El's name. I honestly never gave it much thought until I looked it up today to see what the official spelling was to compare to that game image.

I've probably just used Kal El or Jor El when talking about the characters here. but then, I'm not working on a big budget video game.

I honestly don't think most people put that kind of thought into the hyphen in a made up name like that. Like, Spider-Man as Spider Man probably wouldn't matter to anyone. I could understand maybe running it all together like KalEl or Spiderman, but dropping the hyphen really isn't the same. It could've easily been a stylistic choice. That's so pedantic, I really don't think it's worth even thinking about.

A new superman game would be awesome but I'd be fine if this is just for Injustice 2

I honestly don't think most people put that kind of thought into the hyphen in a made up name like that. Like, Spider-Man as Spider Man probably wouldn't matter to anyone. I could understand maybe running it all together like KalEl or Spiderman, but dropping the hyphen really isn't the same. It could've easily been a stylistic choice. That's so pedantic, I really don't think it's worth even thinking about.

as a consumer, I don't really care. I just want a good quality fun Superman game.

I'm not going to boycott the game because they misspelled Kal-El as Kal El.

but, from a production point of view and a quality control point of view, then it is a big deal.

if they miss the correct spelling on the main character's name, it makes you wonder what else they've missed.

as a consumer, I don't want a product that's filled with typos and errors.

again, it speaks to quality control.

just like your namesake, Tron Bonne. Would you want a game or merchandise that inconsistently spelled her name? Sometimes its Tron-Bonne or Tronn Bonne or Tronne Bonn. all it is is just a one letter or one character difference, but it's still a misspelling.

assuming this is real, of course. and assuming someone doesn't catch the misspelling to fix it.

Last edited:
Even if real it can easily be fixed and am sure fan feedback will let them know..or they'll just patch it!

Even if real it can easily be fixed and am sure fan feedback will let them know..or they'll just patch it!

oh, sure.

but it could also mean it's fake and a photoshopped image where someone got careless and left out a hyphen.

though that gif would seem to suggest it's real.

hopefully it's not from some cancelled project, though.

I really do hope it's real and for a solo Superman game.

but there's a chance it could turn out to be fake, so that's why I'm being cautiously optimistic. I'm not going to get my hopes up too much until I hear something official.

Last edited:
Funny how this appears shortly before SDCC...

as a consumer, I don't really care. I just want a good quality fun Superman game.

I'm not going to boycott the game because they misspelled Kal-El as Kal El.

but, from a production point of view and a quality control point of view, then it is a big deal.

if they miss the correct spelling on the main character's name, it makes you wonder what else they've missed.

as a consumer, I don't want a product that's filled with typos and errors.

again, it speaks to quality control.

Uh...?

But anyway, you're making such a mountain out of a molehill.

just like your namesake, Tron Bonne. Would you want a game or merchandise that inconsistently spelled her name? Sometimes its Tron-Bonne or Tronn Bonne or Tronne Bonn. all it is is just a one letter or one character difference, but it's still a misspelling.

assuming this is real, of course. and assuming someone doesn't catch the misspelling to fix it.

Those aren't the same thing at all. Nothing is really misspelled here, a hypen is simply dropped, and that's just not really that big of a deal. Hyphens are really only important whenever it's classifying something. Via Wikipedia:

• A man-eating shark is a shark that eats humans.
  • A man eating shark is a man who is eating shark meat.
With names they're not that important. The only time it really would be is in the case of a woman or man taking dual names in marriage, such as Wright-Jennings, but even then it's not unheard of for that to be dropped and written in free form such as Wright Jennings. It usually depends on the context.

For a made up comic book name, I really don't see why it would matter. Whoever put it there maybe just thought it looked better in that front without the hyphen. It's not some kind of deadly mistake.

well, I respectfully disagree, Tron. whoever created and named these characters chose that name with that spelling.

if dropping a hyphen isn't that big of a deal, then adding a hyphen shouldn't matter, either, right?

So, Batman and Superman can be spelled Bat-Man and Super-Man?

Spider-Man can just be called Spider Man?

Ant-Man has a hyphen in his name, and the title of his new film is spelled that way, too.

why not just call it Ant Man?

these are fictional characters' names with specific spellings, hyphened or otherwise.

I don't think you should be able to just change the spellings or drop the hyphens because it "looks better" in your font in your game.

not when you are working on an officially licensed product.

It just occured to me:

How would you guys like a dynasty warrior styled Superman game? Have a crazy balls to the wall combat system and gameplay.

Like in Pirate Warriors, the characters are already way too powerful for the common enemy, so they attack in huge waves. It's incredibly satisfying and fun when you take on all of them at once.

I think that's one way to make it work. Without taking itself too seriously. I really don't see a serious SM game like the Arkham games being fun for more than one hour while still doing justice to the character.

It just occured to me:

How would you guys like a dynasty warrior styled Superman game? Have a crazy balls to the wall combat system and gameplay.

Like in Pirate Warriors, the characters are already way too powerful for the common enemy, so they attack in huge waves. It's incredibly satisfying and fun when you take on all of them at once.

I think that's one way to make it work. Without taking itself too seriously. I really don't see a serious SM game like the Arkham games being fun for more than one hour while still doing justice to the character.

I'd rather have an open world game like the Arkham games.

and judging by the more "comic booky" looking fonts in that leaked image, if this is a real Superman game, then it looks like the tone will be different than the Arkham games.

well, I respectfully disagree, Tron. whoever created and named these characters chose that name with that spelling.

if dropping a hyphen isn't that big of a deal, then adding a hyphen shouldn't matter, either, right?

So, Batman and Superman can be spelled Bat-Man and Super-Man?

Spider-Man can just be called Spider Man?

Ant-Man has a hyphen in his name, and the title of his new film is spelled that way, too.

why not just call it Ant Man?

You really don't see the difference between removing a hyphen and getting Kal-El as opposed to Kal El, and adding a hyphen and getting Bat-man instead of Batman? There's a very clear difference there. One alters the word completely, and one does not. Kal El is two words already, Batman is one word that you're separating into two.

I'm not disputing that the hyphen is there, but it's really not the deadly sin that you seem to think it is. I honestly doubt anyone outside the most pickiest of the most nerdist would have batted an eye at the spelling of Spider-Man as Spider Man or Ant-Man as Ant Man. The fact that they even spelled it with a hyphen in the description tells me it was more of stylistic choice than a mistake. Because, again, hyphens really don't matter that much for names. I mean, maybe at one time they had some kind of clearer meaning, but nowadays, nah.

I'd rather have an open world game like the Arkham games.
It can still be open world and be like that. The thing is, if it doesn't take itself too seriously, we can go guns blazing on the enemy without people complaining that we're killing everyone. It'd help if it has that comib booky graphic like Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions.

You really don't see the difference between removing a hyphen and getting Kal-El as opposed to Kal El, and adding a hyphen and getting Bat-man instead of Batman? There's a very clear difference there. One alters the word completely, and one does not. Kal El is two words already, Batman is one word that you're separating into two.

I'm not disputing that the hyphen is there, but it's really not the deadly sin that you seem to think it is. I honestly doubt anyone outside the most pickiest of the most nerdist would have batted an eye at the spelling of Spider-Man as Spider Man or Ant-Man as Ant Man. The fact that they even spelled it with a hyphen in the description tells me it was more of stylistic choice than a mistake. Because, again, hyphens really don't matter that much for names. I mean, maybe at one time they had some kind of clearer meaning, but nowadays, nah.

well, if the official spelling of the name has a hyphen, then removing a hyphen and spelling it as 2 words is in fact changing the spelling of the name.

imo, it's as much a misspelling as adding a hyphen or making a one word name 2 words.

again, maybe it's just me, but to me, all of those would be misspellings because you are changing the official spelling of the name.

now, I agree, the average consumer is probably not going to know the difference. and I'd bet the average consumer doesn't even know a hyphen is supposed to be in Spider-Man or Ant-Man or Kal-El.

And I'm not saying spelling Kal El like that is a deadly unforgiveable sin. If this is real, then it could simply be an oversight and a careless error that will be corrected.

However, I merely pointed this out in the 1st place, because it could also be the work of a photoshopper who got careless and forgot to spell Kal El right in the big bold fonts, but spelled it correctly in the smaller detail fonts.

So, it could be a sign of a fake. or it could be real.

that's all I was trying to point out. I didn't mean for it to become this big of a deal.

It was merely an observation.

It can still be open world and be like that. The thing is, if it doesn't take itself too seriously, we can go guns blazing on the enemy without people complaining that we're killing everyone. It'd help if it has that comib booky graphic like Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions.

if it's open world and over the top, then go for it!! :woot:

Clark decided Superman needed to fit in better, so he took the hyphen out of his name to make it look more like an Americanized first and last name.

Y'know.. this game had everything going for it, it was as awesome as The Arkham games......... then I loaded up the Character bio and that typo made the whole game a piece of ****.

0/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"