Rumors about the Eternals coming in Phase 4...

Discussion in 'Eternals' started by Tymminator, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

If this pans out, I think it would be awesome, and it would fit with the whole “cosmic direction” they are said to take next phase.

2. Hello2016

Hello2016 Well-Known Member

Here's my thoughts on the cosmic direction:

Edit: Fixed links above

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  3. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I'm sorry but the last thing I'd want is for the Eternals to have the tone of Ragnarok, as fun as it was.

4. Damkac

Damkac Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about them but I'm sure Marvel knows what they are doing.

5. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

**cough** (INHUMANS) **cough** :o

6. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

Marvel Studios knows what they are doing.

7. Random490

Random490 Well-Known Member

Very important distinction.

8. MbJ

MbJ Well-Known Member

9. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Well-Known Member

The more Marvel Studios realizes the Disney/Fox deal is going to be a reality then the less the Eternals is less of a priority for them.

10. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

I think the Eternals could work. My thought is the very first Eternals story (very Jack Kirby and all) worked fairly well as an almost Indiana Jones style adventure. Either way, it would be helpful for them to build up the Celestial mythology a bit more.

11. MbJ

MbJ Well-Known Member

Having at least one curve ball franchise would be consistent with the studio's previous output.

Just because they have the X-Men again doesn't mean they need to stop using lesser known characters.

12. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Well-Known Member

Sure, but in this case it lessens the likelihood of them using obscure characters as much as they used to. No way they would have even considered Guardians, Ant-Man, and Strange and positioned them in the universe the way they have had they had access to FF and the Mutants at the beginning.

Keep in mind: I'm not saying them having access to almost all their characters means they'll cease doing movies about lesser-known characters(of course not) but my point is them having access to their most well-known properties lessens the desire try them as much as before Feige would be ecstatic to put his own spin on characters that he started his extremely successful career with.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. Mike Murdock

Yeah, I don't buy the argument that once Marvel Studios has the right to the X-Men it's suddenly going to be the 1990s with X-Men and nothing else. One of Marvel's main focuses has been on variety and having different types of characters and movies.

14. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

They wouldn’t because Feige is simply not that stupid. If Marvel Studios suddenly owned all their stuff and Perlmutter was in charge or any other type of generic CEO then yeah, I could see a shift where only big named titles would be focused on. However Feige is in charge and they now have documented proof that “2nd/3rd” tier titles can bring in huge $$$.

That’s why is was a good thing at first Sony and Fox has/had certain properties as it made Marvel Studio make do, but in the process of that they discovered some of these other “lesser” title would not only just do “OK” or even be a “hit”, but a few would become full fledged blosckbusters with huge fan followings.

X-Men and F4 will take up a slot each in new phases and I could even see a few X-men solos eventually, but now they know they don’t have to devote just to X-Men as that’s simply leaving money on the table. You just don’t know what might be your next Guardians of the Galaxy or Black Panther.

15. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

One of the rumored ideas for the Inhumans way back when it was a movie was to have the Royal Family as Kree sleeper agents hiding in plain sight, waiting to be activated when the invasion took place. And, of course, deciding to rebel in favor of their adopted home. The other rumored idea was a "Game of Thrones" style royal drama, which Marvel TV was able to carry out to perfection under the skilled leadership of one Scott Buck.

But before I go on too long gushing about Inhumans, I'm thinking the sleeper agent idea could be recycled for Eternals. Have Sersi, Makkari, Ikaris and the gang living on earth setting the stage for a Celestial invasion before ultimately deciding to take the big guy down. Of course Feige may just decide to go all "Inhumans with a proper budget", in which case nevermind.

16. Comic Book Guy

Comic Book Guy Well-Known Member

2019: Spider-Man 2
    2020: GOTG3, Black Widow, Dr. Strange 2
    2021: Black Panther 2, Spider-Man 3, Ant-Man 3, The Eternals
    2022: Captain Marvel 2, X-Men, Fantastic Four
    2023: Avengers: Secret Wars?

Can see the new slate of movies playing out like this. X-Men and maybe FF and definitely elements of the FF rights will be interwoven into movies prior to their own movies in 2022. If the rights close around early-mid 2019, then we could see Silver Surfer and Galactus or some other returned cosmic rights hinted, cameoed, or teased in GOTG3. Maybe the new Wolverine can be introduced in the Black Widow movie, and the FF themselves can first hinted at or mentioned in Dr. Strange 2. Then with the following 2021 movies, you have potential to really introduce the FF in either BP2 or SM3, and have the concept of mutants really introduced and delved into in The Eternals movie since the experimentation by the Celestials that created Eternals and Deviants also created mutants.

What will also be interesting is if Marvel decides to make the big team up film with all the new problems under an Avengers branded title or just label it something like Marvel's Secret Wars and retire the Avengers brand for a while to build up hype and not overuse the property.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  17. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

You know I love marvel and have for years but I actually don’t know that much about the eternals. Who is their arch nemesis?

18. Comic Book Guy

Comic Book Guy Well-Known Member

The Deviants

19. Mike Murdock

The Deviants.

The short version is this: Do you know the Celestials? In the movies, they can be seen in Guardians of the Galaxy in the scene showing the creation of the Infinity Stones. One of the heads of the Celestials is the location of Knowhere. And, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Ego is described as a Celestial (he's not in the comics) and the Celestials are described as gods.

Well, in the comics, the Celestials came to Earth and decided to mess with evolution. They created three branches of humans - the Eternals (who are basically god-like people similar to Asgardians and including characters like Eros/Starfox), the Deviants (who are hideously deformed and are the rivals to the Eternals), and the rest of humanity who have latent abilities for powers (in other words, the first mutants with the X-Gene).

The Eternals themselves are sort of Greek pantheon-esque, although, confusingly, there's also a Greek pantheon. The main Eternals are people like Ikaris and Sersi. However, a group of Eternals left and went to Titan. Among these is a person known as Mentor, who had two sons - Eros (who I mentioned earlier) and some guy named Thanos who you may have heard of.

20. Hello2016

Hello2016 Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(comics)
    The information provided on wikipedia provides a lot of good info. I tried to categorize it in chronological sequence while emphasizing certain key points below. (I derived info. from several other sources as noted as well).

5 million Years Ago First Celestial Visit to Earth: Performed genetic experiments on early "proto-humanity" (Also did this on Kree and Skrull homeworlds at other points of time accounting for super beings over there) . This led to the following races:

a) Long Lived Eternals (Homo Immortalis): Way longer lifespans than humans (not originally immortal) keeps them from maintaining contact with humans but remain humanity's protector in time of need especially from the Deviants. They can interbreed with humans but end result is a normal human mostly always.

b) Genetically Unstable Deviants (Homo Descendus) due to Celestial tampering in first generation resulting in an unstable genetic code changing per generation. A Deviant child may not look anything like their parents; they're also not always human looking like the Eternals are. However, in an evolutionary sense they're mutations occur faster than that in humans resulting in more advanced civilization rife with lots of infighting.

c) Some leftover normal Humans with latent capacity for mutations (mutants)

Civil War Amongst Eternals: Kronos and his warlike brother Uranos were the opposing sides.

The Defeated Faction After-Effects:
    Uranos Colony: Uranos's side defeated so left Earth where re-built colony on planet Uranos.

Titan Colony: Some of Uranos's group tried returning to Earth for re-attack on Kronos but attacked by passing Kree armada forcing them to land on Titan where built colony here on an abandoned Kree outpost.

Inhumans: The passing Kree armada managed to capture one of the members of group that settled on Titan named Aflok . Vivisection on this Eternal made Kree realize derived from Earth which made them decide to go to Earth and perform genetic experiments on regular humans where created the Inhumans.

Kronos's Winning Side of Eternals:
    New Strain of Eternals with Activated Genes: Kronos while conducting experiments in his lab on cosmic energy accidentally caused a catastrophic release of energy throughout the Eternals' city of Titanos destroying it. The Eternals populating the city were bombarded with this cosmic energy irradiating latent genes that became now activated. The Eternals now found they could channel large quantities of cosmic energy themselves, granting them near-godlike power. Kronos on the other hand was disintegrated to an extent where his atoms were scattered, but his astral form still survives on this plane of reality, quietly observing life in the universe. (some of this additional info. gleaned from http://marvel.com/universe/Eternals#ixzz5Clha1HwE)

New Leader: The accident left Kronos in an immaterial state, so a new leader had to be chosen. For the first time, the Eternals merged into a single being, the Uni-Mind, to decide which of Kronos's sons, Zuras or A'lars should be the new leader. Zuras was chosen, and A'lars chose to leave Earth to avoid causing another civil war, and journeyed to Titan.

Back to Titan:
    Re-Populating Titan-A war started by "the dragon of the moon" had wiped out all but one member of the Titan colony, a woman named Sui-San. A'lars (who later would be known as "Mentor") fell in love with her, and in time they repopulated Titan. Due to the mix of activated genes from A'lars and unactivated ones from Sui-San, these new Titanian Eternals are not as powerful or immortal as Terran Eternals, but are more powerful and longer-lived than the earlier pre-civil war Titanian Eternals.

Back to Earth:

3 Cities Established: Besides 1st city of Olympia, the other two Eternal cities were Polaria (located in Siberia) and Oceana (in the Pacific).

Distinguishment from Greek Pantheon: Olympia, located in the mountains of Greece, near the main portal between the Earth dimension and the Olympians' home dimension, which lead many ancient Greeks to confuse some of the godlike Eternals with members of the Olympian pantheon. Eventually, an agreement was reached with the gods where some Eternals, such as Thena, would impersonate the Olympians before their worshipers.

18000 Years Ago Celestials Re-visited Earth for 2nd Time

Great Cataclysm: Deviants (whose civilization peaked around this time period) attacked Celestials resulting in Celestials countering sinking Lemuria and remaining remnants of Atlantis (destroyed mostly anyway due to war with Lemuria) and Mu and lots chaos worldwide. (As gets away from focus on Eternals, just see "Great Cataclysm" section on following link for more info. http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis) Eternals helped rescue many humans at this time and Valkin entrusted by Celestials with artifact of great power.

Many Years Later: Ikaris and crew in conflict with mutant Apokolips.

The 3rd Host of Celestials Arrive:
    The 3rd Arrival of Celestial Host:

Who Are the "Council of Godheads" mentioned above?
    Around Time of This Meeting Thor saw some Eternals:
    Early 20th century Miscellaneous Information:

Arrival of 4th Host
    Typically Celestials visit a planet 4 times; the 4th comes judgement where deem planet as worthwhile or not.

Popular Eternal Characters:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  21. Dasher10

Dasher10 I'm like Deadpool IRL

I agree. Guardians and Ant-Man were both films which found an audience despite being virtually unknown properties.

22. VenomsMom

VenomsMom Well-Known Member

Being virtually unknown means squat to Marvel these days. Its the brand that sells now. They could make Eternals just as big as Xmen since its a new and fresh concept.

23. Uncanny1

Uncanny1 Well-Known Member

Sersi was a member of the East Coast Avenger team in the 90s.

24. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Gonna be real, I'd love to see obscure marvel flicks like this. But truthfully, only if they bump it up to 4 a year.

I can't see it being feasible otherwise. Not when I'm already so invested in Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Spider-Man sequels as well as eventually seeing the F4 and Doom.

25. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Eternals is also something if it ended up 1 and done, I would be less mad about. But I would like to see it.