Rumors about the Eternals coming in Phase 4...

Discussion in 'Eternals' started by Tymminator, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Zarex Registered

Done and done! I also wouldn't be surprised if the Netflix shows get the Star Wars Expanded Universe treatment as well after Disney launches its own streaming service.

2. Dasher10 I'm like Deadpool IRL

When I heard that Guardians 3 was going to set up a decade worth of cosmic films, this, Darkhawk and Fantastic Four were the first three things to come to mind.

3. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

That wouldn't bother me one bit

4. MbJ Registered

Because Agents of SHIELD essentially covered that territory, right down to having their very own Magneto knockoff.

5. Yowza Registered

If they have to include Greek Pantheon characters as focal points within the first movie then I agree.

Only issue with that then is the Eternals sort of start to take on some of the identities of the Greek Pantheon of gods perhaps shifting the tone of the movie (other 2 major leftover cities built around same time as Olympia nowhere near Greece).

A "stargate" being within the city of Olympia and joke about human populace mistaking them for "beings" on the other side would suffice without need for going into detail (if separate later movie centered around Greek Pantheon audiences may have some anticipation built up from allusion brought up in Eternals movie as well as a distinction that perhaps could be made between Eternals and god pantheons within the MCU).

#55 Yowza, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. Yowza Registered

Since Volume 1 written by Kirby, it seems the Eternals have fulllfilled a role reminiscent of Sleeper Agents to herald the coming of the Celestials and fullfill other roles in the interim protecting mankind and providing guidance. The Volume 3 miniseries written by Neil Gaiman in 2006 seems to have drastically re-worked this notion regarding the Eternals role as it relates to their Celestial overseers as well as their place on earth in some ways.

Here's an interesting quote concerning recent limitations placed upon them in the 2006 miniseries by Neil Gaiman. These limitations perhaps relate to the Eternals with "activated" genes (or Eternals on earth when Kronos's experiment went awry).

Limitations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(comics) )
    I'm not so sure how the above limitations apply to earlier creative takes on Eternals but sleeper agents of a sort seems to have been infused from the beginning in Vol.1 even if above limitations not present.

#56 Yowza, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. Mike Murdock Registered

You want Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl to have essentially Asgardian level powers? That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Inhumans are tricky because I stand by my belief that they benefit from long-form storytelling and not a movie. Unfortunately, it became clear that they need a budget of a movie to pull them off effectively. That puts them in a very ambiguous middle ground.

Eternals, on the other hand, don't really feel like they have the same Games of Thrones scheming and, instead, are much more straightforward. So they feel easier to put in a movie. Plus, the Eternals set up a lot of stuff with Celestials, which the movies have been playing with.

Exactly. People say that the Inhumans are being used as X-Men ripoffs and have even argued that's why the show failed when the show wasn't that in the slightest.

Out of curiosity, are you saying someone is a Magneto ripoff because they share personality traits with Magneto or because they had magnetic powers. Because Magneto is far more than his powers.

#57 Mike Murdock, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  8. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

I’d definitely be surprised. They’ve been too high profile and too well-received to so easily discard.

9. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Agreed. The Netflix shows have lots of acclaim and are still on going. Heck, Jessica Jones got renewed for a 3rd season! They plan on keeping them around.

10. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Yes, the statement is confusing. I could imagine this being about Jiaying's personality, but also about Joey or Giyera's powers.

11. Zarex Registered

Well, it would be quite a few years down the line. But I think at some point we will see rebooted versions of the Netflix characters either in new shows on Hulu or on the big screen.

Disney is moving away from Netflix, which owns the Defenders related shows and has some control over the characters for the foreseeable future. I see these versions being abandoned like Sony Spidey and Fox X-Men when Netflix stops producing these shows.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/netflix-reed-hastings-disney-fox-1202266787/

12. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

The difference is Marvel TV actually makes the Netflix shows. Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment didn't make TASM films. Netflix is a distributor in this case, not a content producer. There is a major difference. Marvel Entertainment are the ones actually making the Netflix shows. This is why I don't see the reboot happening. If they were going to do that, they wouldn't do things like [blackout]reference The Raft in Jessica Jones season 2[/blackout]

13. All-Father Godly

I can get behind a project like this: I'd love to see characters like Makkari, Forgotten One and Ikaris!

However, I'd rather have a proper Inhumans movie...

14. MbJ Registered

If Captain Marvel is the strongest hero of the MCU, it's only fair her teen counterpart gets in on the action.:o

Skye's mother, the Inhuman extremist who decides to go all X2 and flat out wipe out the humans at the end of her arc.

15. Silvermoth Krakoan native

It definitely sounds like the inhumans movie Feige always wanted to make

16. Yowza Registered

Movie Focus:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/marvel-considering-eternals-film-124253019.html
    This seems to further go along with the notion of sleeper agents went into in my post above and makes me think a lot of parts from Neil Gaiman's series may be utilized with slightly different tone.

Volume 1 (1976) of the Eternals by Jack Kirby was written in way not really meant to coincide within the Marvel universe so no surprise Marvel Studios may be borrowing from later volumes that worked the characters more into other Marvel superhero comics. (This is probably why a lot of the Eternal characters sleeper agents masquerading as human's on earth sort of a spoof on a god like deity while not actually being the official Marvel version of said god-like deity. This perhaps forced the comic books to rationalize the difference somewhat at times).

About Sersi:
    Wikipedia: Origins and early history
    More info. beyond basic origin/history found here: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-eternals-movie-sersi-lead-character-explained/

#66 Yowza, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  17. All-Father Godly

She's a great character. Imo, the most interesting Eternal together with the Forgotten One.

18. Abudefduf Registered

You're telling me this is a real Marvel character? Okay. Needless to say, I hope the movie will be set during the hedonistic phase of her life. :o

19. Yowza Registered

Well, the word "hedonist" I think someone used on wikipedia just trying to sum things up as"pleasure seeker" to go along with someone living in the world of humans or having done much travel in their lives having lived for very long time. Therefore, I wouldn't read too much into the word "hedonist". Also, the Neil Gaiman mini-series seems to play up her roots in human history as sort of an iconic woman of the ages moreso than the Eternal history she's part of as presented in earlier Eternal volumes it seems.

I think the CBR article I linked to covers a lot more ground for how her character has been utilized earlier in comics published by Marvel to see how things have changed regarding how the character has been portrayed over the years from a publishing standpoint.

#69 Yowza, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  20. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

She's probably the only interesting and remembered character of the Eternals. The rest ARE the forgotten ones. :o

And this plot rumour about her having forgotten her true identity sounds like what happened in the comics with Medusa when she was first introduced and she was part of the Frightful Four.

21. Yowza Registered

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Jack Kirby's original series seems to have existed primarily on it's own in Volume 1 (1976) not necessarily related to all the other comics set within the 616 universe but it's own thing in a way. Later comics of course interwove them more into the comics Universe with a lot of strings attached (Volume 1 established lots of backstory and characters so when combine into 616 comics more of a need to distinguish their roles from other comics characters especially mythological based ones and introduce characters with lots of associations and backstory not easy to sum up). I wonder if this is why probably only a couple characters thrown in here and there in team based comics like the Avengers after Volume 2 ended in the 80's.

However, after looking over the Eternal comics based history, I think their history navigates around certain aspects of the 616 universe quite well (some retcons happened of course but not too disconcerting); Perhaps even providing the means to connect a lot of different elements of comic history together that otherwise seem totally incongruous.

Neil Gaiman's miniseries served as kind of a soft reboot introduce everything again more concisely. Jack Kirby's intention for the characters and how they're re-worked could provide something worthwhile.

#71 Yowza, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  22. Abudefduf Registered

23. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Its weird, when I was researching which Marvel team to read that didn't have many issues/titles aside from Gotg. I was choosing between Inhumans/Eternals and chose the former because it was going to be a movie. And now Inhumans are dead and this one is getting a movie treatment.

24. Protar Registered

This potential franchise excites me for a couple of reasons. Firstly it looks to be what the Inhumans movie could have been, and expands the cosmic side of the MCU. Plus Sersi sounds like a really fun and charismatic character, someone who could potentially fill in the fun, confident, party-lover type archetype that Ironman held. Currently the new Avengers, great as they are, are either quite dour or a little awkward and unsure of themselves.

Secondly, Eternals could serve as great set up for the X-men, given that they share the same lineage. What I'm envisioning is that at the end of the movie, after the Eternals have been in space, they return to earth and somehow their actions activate the latent x-gene amongst earth's population. Thus explaining why we've not seen mutants in the mcu before.

25. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

The problem with the Eternals is were they even relevant at one point? I mean the Inhumans were in the cartoon, videogames even before the MCU started. They are essential Fantastic Four characters. While Black Bolt, Crystal and Medusa are well connected to the Marvel Universe. Eternals.. I can't name a single character as of now. I only know the face of the blonde dude with the stars on his chest.