Eternals Rumors about the Eternals coming in Phase 4...

They should really just pretend that TV show never happened. I’m serious, it should be officially removed from MCU canon.

Done and done! I also wouldn't be surprised if the Netflix shows get the Star Wars Expanded Universe treatment as well after Disney launches its own streaming service.

When I heard that Guardians 3 was going to set up a decade worth of cosmic films, this, Darkhawk and Fantastic Four were the first three things to come to mind.

Done and done! I also wouldn't be surprised if the Netflix shows get the Star Wars Expanded Universe treatment as well after Disney launches its own streaming service.
That wouldn't bother me one bit

I mean the ABC version was nothing at all like the X-Men

Because Agents of SHIELD essentially covered that territory, right down to having their very own Magneto knockoff.

For a movie, it would just be easier to make them all Eternals. Much easier for the audience to understand and less backstory to explain.

If they have to include Greek Pantheon characters as focal points within the first movie then I agree.

Zarex:
I think that works fine for the comics, but adds unnecessary complexity for a movie. There's no need for both a Greek pantheon and a group of Celestial created substitutes in the MCU. I say take the best characteristics from both, along with other "orphaned" cosmic characters, and mash them together.

Only issue with that then is the Eternals sort of start to take on some of the identities of the Greek Pantheon of gods perhaps shifting the tone of the movie (other 2 major leftover cities built around same time as Olympia nowhere near Greece).

A "stargate" being within the city of Olympia and joke about human populace mistaking them for "beings" on the other side would suffice without need for going into detail (if separate later movie centered around Greek Pantheon audiences may have some anticipation built up from allusion brought up in Eternals movie as well as a distinction that perhaps could be made between Eternals and god pantheons within the MCU).

Last edited:
I hate to see the MCU lose great characters (maybe Lockjaw will be an Eternal as well?), but superhero royal drama wasn't a great fit for a cinematic universe that already has Asgard and was introducing Wakanda. In this case political BS paid off. Hopefully we'll see the royal family resurrected with the FF.

And I'm not even sure Eternals will make it as far as Inhumans and get a release date. One rumor for Inhumans was that they are alien sleeper agents on earth. Maybe that idea will get resurrected for Eternals?

Since Volume 1 written by Kirby, it seems the Eternals have fulllfilled a role reminiscent of Sleeper Agents to herald the coming of the Celestials and fullfill other roles in the interim protecting mankind and providing guidance. The Volume 3 miniseries written by Neil Gaiman in 2006 seems to have drastically re-worked this notion regarding the Eternals role as it relates to their Celestial overseers as well as their place on earth in some ways.

Here's an interesting quote concerning recent limitations placed upon them in the 2006 miniseries by Neil Gaiman. These limitations perhaps relate to the Eternals with "activated" genes (or Eternals on earth when Kronos's experiment went awry).

Limitations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(comics) )
The recent retcon of the Eternals' origins and abilities introduces a significant limitation to their powers, and possibly to their free will, with numerous references to Eternals being "programmed" or "hardwired." They cannot attack their Celestial "masters" for any reason, whether they make a conscious decision to do so, or are tricked into accidentally striking the beings...
Eternals can apparently also not leave the solar system.

Furthermore, Eternals are compelled to attack and neutralize any being that attempts to engage any Celestial with hostile intent[29] — this compulsion extends even to the Dreaming Celestial, whom the Eternals were forced to defend even as they feared that the newly awakened Celestial would destroy all life on the planet.

At least as presented in Gaiman's Volume 3, the Eternals are aware of their role on Earth, and the duties and constraints placed on them by the Celestials. Ikaris rather sardonically describes himself as "a humanoid-based repair and maintenance unit left behind by unknowable alien gods to make sure that the earth is still here and in good shape when they get back."[26] Zuras phrased the same concept more philosophically: "We are the Eternals. We are the court of last resort for humanity and for all living things on Earth. [...] We do not choose sides. Countries are lines in the sand, empires rise and fall. We are timeless. We will still be here tomorrow, and a hundred centuries from now."[25]

I'm not so sure how the above limitations apply to earlier creative takes on Eternals but sleeper agents of a sort seems to have been infused from the beginning in Vol.1 even if above limitations not present.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that they could use these to replace the Inhumans. Characters like Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl could be stated to have distant Eternal lineage if Marvel ever chooses to put them in the films.

You want Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl to have essentially Asgardian level powers? That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

It's good that the Eternals are coming, but how come Feige is interested to make them but he wasn't interested to make the Inhumans as a movie?

Inhumans are tricky because I stand by my belief that they benefit from long-form storytelling and not a movie. Unfortunately, it became clear that they need a budget of a movie to pull them off effectively. That puts them in a very ambiguous middle ground.

Eternals, on the other hand, don't really feel like they have the same Games of Thrones scheming and, instead, are much more straightforward. So they feel easier to put in a movie. Plus, the Eternals set up a lot of stuff with Celestials, which the movies have been playing with.

I mean the ABC version was nothing at all like the X-Men, so I don't really buy it.

Exactly. People say that the Inhumans are being used as X-Men ripoffs and have even argued that's why the show failed when the show wasn't that in the slightest.

Because Agents of SHIELD essentially covered that territory, right down to having their very own Magneto knockoff.

Out of curiosity, are you saying someone is a Magneto ripoff because they share personality traits with Magneto or because they had magnetic powers. Because Magneto is far more than his powers.

Last edited:

I’d definitely be surprised. They’ve been too high profile and too well-received to so easily discard.

Agreed. The Netflix shows have lots of acclaim and are still on going. Heck, Jessica Jones got renewed for a 3rd season! They plan on keeping them around.

Out of curiosity, are you saying someone is a Magneto ripoff because they share personality traits with Magneto or because they had magnetic powers. Because Magneto is far more than his powers.

Yes, the statement is confusing. I could imagine this being about Jiaying's personality, but also about Joey or Giyera's powers.

I’d definitely be surprised. They’ve been too high profile and too well-received to so easily discard.

Agreed. The Netflix shows have lots of acclaim and are still on going. Heck, Jessica Jones got renewed for a 3rd season! They plan on keeping them around.

Well, it would be quite a few years down the line. But I think at some point we will see rebooted versions of the Netflix characters either in new shows on Hulu or on the big screen.

Disney is moving away from Netflix, which owns the Defenders related shows and has some control over the characters for the foreseeable future. I see these versions being abandoned like Sony Spidey and Fox X-Men when Netflix stops producing these shows.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/netflix-reed-hastings-disney-fox-1202266787/

Well, it would be quite a few years down the line. But I think at some point we will see rebooted versions of the Netflix characters either in new shows on Hulu or on the big screen.

Disney is moving away from Netflix, which owns the Defenders related shows and has some control over the characters for the foreseeable future. I see these versions being abandoned like Sony Spidey and Fox X-Men when Netflix stops producing these shows.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/netflix-reed-hastings-disney-fox-1202266787/

The difference is Marvel TV actually makes the Netflix shows. Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment didn't make TASM films. Netflix is a distributor in this case, not a content producer. There is a major difference. Marvel Entertainment are the ones actually making the Netflix shows. This is why I don't see the reboot happening. If they were going to do that, they wouldn't do things like [blackout]reference The Raft in Jessica Jones season 2[/blackout]

I can get behind a project like this: I'd love to see characters like Makkari, Forgotten One and Ikaris!

However, I'd rather have a proper Inhumans movie...

You want Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl to have essentially Asgardian level powers?

If Captain Marvel is the strongest hero of the MCU, it's only fair her teen counterpart gets in on the action.:o

Skye's mother, the Inhuman extremist who decides to go all X2 and flat out wipe out the humans at the end of her arc.

It definitely sounds like the inhumans movie Feige always wanted to make

Movie Focus:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/marvel-considering-eternals-film-124253019.html
Multiple screenwriters have been asked to create a storyline for an Eternals movie, per TheWrap, which reports that a female character called Sersi is its focus.

Four volumes of The Eternals have been published since their 1976 introduction. Volume 3 arrived in 2006 with Neil Gaiman as its writer; it cast Sersi as a New York publicist with no knowledge of her true identity as a near-immortal, immeasurably powerful cosmic being and previous member of the Avengers.

This seems to further go along with the notion of sleeper agents went into in my post above and makes me think a lot of parts from Neil Gaiman's series may be utilized with slightly different tone.

Volume 1 (1976) of the Eternals by Jack Kirby was written in way not really meant to coincide within the Marvel universe so no surprise Marvel Studios may be borrowing from later volumes that worked the characters more into other Marvel superhero comics. (This is probably why a lot of the Eternal characters sleeper agents masquerading as human's on earth sort of a spoof on a god like deity while not actually being the official Marvel version of said god-like deity. This perhaps forced the comic books to rationalize the difference somewhat at times).

About Sersi:
Wikipedia: Origins and early history
Sersi is a fourth generation member of the Eternals, an evolutionary offshoot of the human race. Sersi is the daughter of the Eternals Helios and Perse, and was probably born in Olympia, Greece, some time after the Great Cataclysm that destroyed the continents of Atlantis and Lemuria, during an extended ice age known as the Hyborean Age. At a young age, Sersi differed from her fellow Eternals in her desire to live amongst humans. It was during her time in ancient Mesopotamia that Sersi first met Captain America, who had traveled back in time. While Sersi still had the appearance of a child at this time, she was already thousands of years old.

A few thousand years later, Sersi was based in ancient Greece, where she met the poet, Homer. Homer would later write one of the earliest works in Western literature, The Odyssey. The character Circe, who lived on an island in the Aegean called Aeaea, and turned the hero Odysseus' men into pigs, was based on Sersi.

It was Sersi, under the name of Circe, who imprisoned the imps in Pandora's Box in ancient times.[2] Unlike the majority of her fellow Eternals, who stay in their hidden cities, Sersi revels in her humanity, and has lived amongst humans more than any other Eternal, save the Forgotten One. Thus, it is no surprise to find that Sersi has lived in various places of historical importance, from Nero's Rome, to Camelot, the Court of the legendary King Arthur, where she helped Merlin the magician to defeat an impostor who had usurped his position. Sersi fought alongside Thor in the Viking Siege of Paris, although he was not aware of this.[3] She has been a dancer, actress, stage magician, hedonist, and adventurer.
More info. beyond basic origin/history found here: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-eternals-movie-sersi-lead-character-explained/

Last edited:
She's a great character. Imo, the most interesting Eternal together with the Forgotten One.

About Sersi:
Wikipedia: Origins and early history

Sersi is a fourth generation member of the Eternals, an evolutionary offshoot of the human race. Sersi is the daughter of the Eternals Helios and Perse, and was probably born in Olympia, Greece, some time after the Great Cataclysm that destroyed the continents of Atlantis and Lemuria, during an extended ice age known as the Hyborean Age. At a young age, Sersi differed from her fellow Eternals in her desire to live amongst humans. It was during her time in ancient Mesopotamia that Sersi first met Captain America, who had traveled back in time. While Sersi still had the appearance of a child at this time, she was already thousands of years old.

A few thousand years later, Sersi was based in ancient Greece, where she met the poet, Homer. Homer would later write one of the earliest works in Western literature, The Odyssey. The character Circe, who lived on an island in the Aegean called Aeaea, and turned the hero Odysseus' men into pigs, was based on Sersi.

It was Sersi, under the name of Circe, who imprisoned the imps in Pandora's Box in ancient times.[2] Unlike the majority of her fellow Eternals, who stay in their hidden cities, Sersi revels in her humanity, and has lived amongst humans more than any other Eternal, save the Forgotten One. Thus, it is no surprise to find that Sersi has lived in various places of historical importance, from Nero's Rome, to Camelot, the Court of the legendary King Arthur, where she helped Merlin the magician to defeat an impostor who had usurped his position. Sersi fought alongside Thor in the Viking Siege of Paris, although he was not aware of this.[3] She has been a dancer, actress, stage magician, hedonist, and adventurer.

More info. beyond basic origin/history found here: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-eternals-movie-sersi-lead-character-explained/
You're telling me this is a real Marvel character? Okay. Needless to say, I hope the movie will be set during the hedonistic phase of her life. :o

You're telling me this is a real Marvel character? Okay. Needless to say, I hope the movie will be set during the hedonistic phase of her life. :o

Well, the word "hedonist" I think someone used on wikipedia just trying to sum things up as"pleasure seeker" to go along with someone living in the world of humans or having done much travel in their lives having lived for very long time. Therefore, I wouldn't read too much into the word "hedonist". Also, the Neil Gaiman mini-series seems to play up her roots in human history as sort of an iconic woman of the ages moreso than the Eternal history she's part of as presented in earlier Eternal volumes it seems.

I think the CBR article I linked to covers a lot more ground for how her character has been utilized earlier in comics published by Marvel to see how things have changed regarding how the character has been portrayed over the years from a publishing standpoint.

Last edited:
She's a great character. Imo, the most interesting Eternal together with the Forgotten One.

She's probably the only interesting and remembered character of the Eternals. The rest ARE the forgotten ones. :o

And this plot rumour about her having forgotten her true identity sounds like what happened in the comics with Medusa when she was first introduced and she was part of the Frightful Four.

She's probably the only interesting and remembered character of the Eternals. The rest ARE the forgotten ones. :o

And this plot rumour about her having forgotten her true identity sounds like what happened in the comics with Medusa when she was first introduced and she was part of the Frightful Four.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Jack Kirby's original series seems to have existed primarily on it's own in Volume 1 (1976) not necessarily related to all the other comics set within the 616 universe but it's own thing in a way. Later comics of course interwove them more into the comics Universe with a lot of strings attached (Volume 1 established lots of backstory and characters so when combine into 616 comics more of a need to distinguish their roles from other comics characters especially mythological based ones and introduce characters with lots of associations and backstory not easy to sum up). I wonder if this is why probably only a couple characters thrown in here and there in team based comics like the Avengers after Volume 2 ended in the 80's.

However, after looking over the Eternal comics based history, I think their history navigates around certain aspects of the 616 universe quite well (some retcons happened of course but not too disconcerting); Perhaps even providing the means to connect a lot of different elements of comic history together that otherwise seem totally incongruous.

Neil Gaiman's miniseries served as kind of a soft reboot introduce everything again more concisely. Jack Kirby's intention for the characters and how they're re-worked could provide something worthwhile.

Last edited:
Its weird, when I was researching which Marvel team to read that didn't have many issues/titles aside from Gotg. I was choosing between Inhumans/Eternals and chose the former because it was going to be a movie. And now Inhumans are dead and this one is getting a movie treatment.

This potential franchise excites me for a couple of reasons. Firstly it looks to be what the Inhumans movie could have been, and expands the cosmic side of the MCU. Plus Sersi sounds like a really fun and charismatic character, someone who could potentially fill in the fun, confident, party-lover type archetype that Ironman held. Currently the new Avengers, great as they are, are either quite dour or a little awkward and unsure of themselves.

Secondly, Eternals could serve as great set up for the X-men, given that they share the same lineage. What I'm envisioning is that at the end of the movie, after the Eternals have been in space, they return to earth and somehow their actions activate the latent x-gene amongst earth's population. Thus explaining why we've not seen mutants in the mcu before.

The problem with the Eternals is were they even relevant at one point? I mean the Inhumans were in the cartoon, videogames even before the MCU started. They are essential Fantastic Four characters. While Black Bolt, Crystal and Medusa are well connected to the Marvel Universe. Eternals.. I can't name a single character as of now. I only know the face of the blonde dude with the stars on his chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"