Dark Phoenix Running time revealed.

That’s honestly surprising. The (not final) cut my pal saw wasn’t nearly that long, but it obviously didn’t have end credits or whatever this Stan Lee tribute is going to be, but I doubt that can account for an additional 30+ minutes. Maybe there are a lot of special effects shots or sequences that weren’t included in test screenings. Maybe there’s extra scenes that were kept out of test screenings to surprise audiences. Maybe they’re incorporating elements of the original third act. I don’t see the latter happening as the two third acts don’t fit together at all. Huh, this is interesting.

That’s honestly surprising. The (not final) cut my pal saw wasn’t nearly that long, but it obviously didn’t have end credits or whatever this Stan Lee tribute is going to be, but I doubt that can account for an additional 30+ minutes. Maybe there are a lot of special effects shots or sequences that weren’t included in test screenings. Maybe there’s extra scenes that were kept out of test screenings to surprise audiences. Maybe they’re incorporating elements of the original third act. I don’t see the latter happening as the two third acts don’t fit together at all. Huh, this is interesting.
I saw Yesterday Avengers Endgame. It was 3 hours and 1 minute and time passed very fast, I didn't really feel like a long movie while watching. I think that might have played a factor on Fox deciding to extend Dark Phoenix movie.

Anyway, I heard that people were displeased with third act of Dark Phoenix. Maybe all these re shots extended the third act. I really hope there's lots of action in this movie. But of course, I have my expectation low, I know we can't compare this visual in a Fox movie with what we saw in Endgame.

Hopefully Dark Phoenix is a great success.

If it is longer than previous test screenings then maybe they have been intentionally keeping Chastain identity a secret from test audiences.

You can do a lot with screen time. I mean the Vision Wamda subplot in Inifnty war is less than 10 mins.

If this is accurate, I'm really glad and shocked at this runtime. I wasn't expecting it to be less than 2hrs (like other had suggested) but I was thinking more just under the theatrical of DoFP.

Last edited:
I saw Yesterday Avengers Endgame. It was 3 hours and 1 minute and time passed very fast, I didn't really feel like a long movie while watching. I think that might have played a factor on Fox deciding to extend Dark Phoenix movie.

Anyway, I heard that people were displeased with third act of Dark Phoenix. Maybe all these re shots extended the third act. I really hope there's lots of action in this movie. But of course, I have my expectation low, I know we can't compare this visual in a Fox movie with what we saw in Endgame.

Hopefully Dark Phoenix is a great success.

The reshoots didn’t extend the third act, it completely reshot it. All the stuff with the train was never in the original cut. It’s completely different now.

Endgame's runtime would not have been a factor. I doubt anyone at Fox had seen EndGame by then. They could not have decided to make the movie 2 hours 41 minutes after watching EndGame this week LOL

In Collider's interview with Kinberg where he's asked how long the original cut is and how long the final cut will be he specifically says: "It's always lived within 2 hours, 2 hours plus universe. It's never been a 2 and a half hour movie. It's never been an under 2 hour movie. It's always lived in the 2 hour...5 minute to...2 hour...20 minute world."

Simon Kinberg on the ‘Dark Phoenix’ Runtime, Jean Grey’s Powers, and Learning from ‘The Last Stand’

IMDB is pretty reliable. There are Mods there that will not accept your info if you don't submit a source.

You know that the Mods there have other primary jobs and it’s easy to overlook something like an unconfirmed runtime, right? Anyone with the access to the right type of account (which is abundant) can make an edit.

Source, please?

I mean, I can confirm what TOB is saying having seen the film with the new third act and discussed it and it’s original version (though not in too much detail) with people directly involved. There wasn’t a space act, there was a scene and there still is so nothing is lost that we weren’t already getting.

I would not be at all surprised if the movie was lengthened because of Endgame managing a 181 minutes runtime. This is how these execs think, just copying what is going on around them. They'd have no regard that people are flocking to see Endgame regardless.

I don't think many will be flocking to see Dark Phoenix on opening weekend. The MCU diehards have given up on it. The trailer doesn't look very exciting either. This could well be a case of people tempted to check it out AFTER the first weekend, especially if it gets decent reviews and becomes the underdog. In which case, trimming the film down for more screenings on opening weekend may not be the best option.

Over 2 hours and Storm and Nightcrawler both will probably only have 4 lines between them.

I would not be at all surprised if the movie was lengthened because of Endgame managing a 181 minutes runtime. This is how these execs think, just copying what is going on around them. They'd have no regard that people are flocking to see Endgame regardless.

I don't think many will be flocking to see Dark Phoenix on opening weekend. The MCU diehards have given up on it. The trailer doesn't look very exciting either. This could well be a case of people tempted to check it out AFTER the first weekend, especially if it gets decent reviews and becomes the underdog. In which case, trimming the film down for more screenings on opening weekend may not be the best option.
Well, there's a whole month for people to see Endgame. Dark Phoenix is only out in June, so by then everyone already watched Endgame and can focus on Dark Phoenix. The Endgame trailer din't show that many great action scenes. So I hope they just didn't wanted to spoil the Dark Phoenix movie in the trailers.

Our good friend Serge Allen is telling people on Twitter that it was originally 2 hours and 40 minutes but is now 1 hour and 40 minutes, because his sources say that... although that would mean they cut almost an hour out of the film... i find that hard to believe personally.

Serge Allen, he posted alot in the Spoilers section, kept talking about storm alot.

Over 2 hours and Storm and Nightcrawler both will probably only have 4 lines between them.
thats the best this amazing and incredible creative and talented writer/director can do with these x-men.

4-8 lines at best, with 0 arc.

We are so lucky to have him directing our dear X-Men. The world is just stupid not appreciating such an amazing script work with these incredible characters (in the comics, not the movies clearly lol)

I don't believe for a second this movie is 2 hours 40 minutes long.

Even having seen it I don’t believe it to be that long either, but it’s for sure not as short at 1hr 40 minutes.

I'm starting to worry about this not being the actual running time of the movie. I read somewhere just the headline of an article to not get spoilers but looks like that they changed the whole third act of the movie. I don't know if this mean that the movie got shorter or bigger. I'm thinking shorter cause to do Visual Effects for movies like this is needed a lot of money and considering everything that went down at Fox, I'm thinking we're luck to even get this movie released at all.

I think that maybe they planned for a huge movie but some stuff happened and they had to start to curt stuff.

Remember that Awful Fantastic Four movie from 2015? Originally it was supposed to be bigger and have more action but it looks like it got cut. Maybe Simon doesn't have the same power that Brian had in terms of demanding more money for the movie to get done properly.

I saw the movie with the new third act. I would say that this is just about 10-20 minutes longer than what I saw so it may not be official can but its absolutely not whatever that dude on Twitter was saying. The old and new third act are about the same in length but different in content from what I’ve been told since I haven’t seen the old one first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"