Sailor Moon: Crystal

I see a lot of fans online are trashing the classic anime and the English translation. Hurts my feelings really. It may not be as good as the manga, but whatever, it was very good.

I don't see trashing the classic anime, but I can understand the English translations getting pretty trashed. It's not wihtout it's charms, but that original localization really did butcher the material. It wasn't just a few arbitrary changes here and there, in some ways it was almost a different show. Go to Youtube and watch the first episode of the dub and then the unedited Japanese pilot, and it's pretty staggering. Really speaks to the power of editing.

I know, they made some bad decisions like the "cousins", it was still a fun show though. If the dub were as awful as it's made it out to be, the show wouldn't be such a cult hit among North Americans.

I watched season 1 and half of season 2 dubbed as a kid. That's all they had in Canada, season 2 ended on YTV with Rini crying about something and opening a portal, no resolution. I found out that everything was on youtube in 2007, so I watched dubs for seasons 1, 2, 3, 4. There was no dub for season 5, so I watched that subtitled.

It was still a fun show, but it doesn't stop the fact that it was altered from the source to a very extreme degree. I also disagree that it's success really disproves it was awful. DBZ was massively popular for a time, and it's dub was similarly edited. Not as bad as Sailor Moon, but still pretty bad.

I mean, you know, I'm not trying to say your opinion is wrong. I think it does have it's charm, and people are free to like whatever they like, but I can see how people would criticize it. I think it holds the top honor of getting one of the most heavily edited anime shows that was brought over during the time.

I see a lot of fans online are trashing the classic anime and the English translation. Hurts my feelings really. It may not be as good as the manga, but whatever, it was very good.

The original English translation was cartoon network American children are stupid, homophobic trash.

It wasn't horrid in the sense that it was BAD ...fun show in it's own right but god did they not even care about the original characters or show. So don't feel bad for liking the original DUB. Anyone who says that it was worthless though is just trolling.

I'm not a fan of the old English dub anymore, but I'm not the type of fan to trash or look down on people are are fans of it though. I completely acknowledge and give credit to the dub for getting me into the show in the first place. :)

It's just that after I watched some subtitled Sailor Moon for the first time, I was never able to go back and watch the dub. It kind of opened my eyes to a Sailor Moon I had never seen more, and the show elevated on a whole other level for me. Trying to watch the dub after that was extremely difficult for me. I was familiar with some of the subtitled Sailor Moon by the time Cartoon Network aired Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS for the first time, so watching those seasons dubbed was really rough for me to get through, haha. I converted to subtitled Sailor Moon before the rest of the original dub was finished, so that probably explains why I have problems with the dub now.

Also, in a way, a lot of fans can blame the dub for not only the edits to the show, but the episodes they skipped, or the final season they never aired. Sailor Moon's release in America has been one jumbled mess (up until now; thank you, Viz Media!), the dub itself wasn't even consistent with the voice actors and the soundtrack. The way the dub was approached in the first two seasons compared to Sailor Moon S and SuperS was pretty different and inconsistent, in my opinion.

All of that said, though, I am excited to watch VizMedia's dub of the original series. I'm not the type of fan who doesn't give dubs a chance; if a dub is good, then I will totally watch it!

I have noticed that some people are recently trashing on the original anime (in English or Japanese), which really saddens me. I guess with the new anime coming out, lots of fans are adopting the "out with the old, in with the new" mentality. A lot of people like that this is going to be a closer adaptation to the manga. Personally, I think there were things that the original anime did much better than the manga and vice-versa. Can't I be a fan of both? :huh:

(PS- love the Mercury avatar, DA Champion! :D )

Last edited:

I don't much trashing of the uncut anime, but legit criticisms.

I love the original anime, but some of the changes to the characters are a bit grating on the nerves. They turned Usagi into more of a ditzy, love struck, almost stupid blonde a lot of the time and is more of a damsel.

Still, I don't hold that against the show all that much because I personally HATE it when fans pick apart everything about an adaptation. They let their want of slavish devotion of the material get in the way of maybe getting entertainment out of something by itself. I get it, I really do. But if an adaptation is good storytelling on it's own terms, deviations are forgiven.

I don't much trashing of the uncut anime, but legit criticisms.

I love the original anime, but some of the changes to the characters are a bit grating on the nerves. They turned Usagi into more of a ditzy, love struck, almost stupid blonde a lot of the time and is more of a damsel.

Still, I don't hold that against the show all that much because I personally HATE it when fans pick apart everything about an adaptation. They let their want of slavish devotion of the material get in the way of maybe getting entertainment out of something by itself. I get it, I really do. But if an adaptation is good storytelling on it's own terms, deviations are forgiven.

The thing about Usagi's character arc in the anime that I love is that she grows as a leader throughout the course of the series (except for SuperS, which made her character regress back into her really immature ways to make Chibi Moon look more mature. :whatever: SuperS as a whole was not good). In the first season, I honestly believe she doesn't fully become a Sailor Soldier until the last episode of the first season, after Mamoru/Prince Endymion dies for her. She starts off as a clumsy, ditzy, self-centered crybaby, but she grows into a leader by the end of the first season, by learning from her friends. It's why I prefer Usagi in the anime than I do in the manga.

The thing that I love about Usagi/Sailor Moon in the anime is that even though she isn't the most elegant, intelligent, or "cool" person around, her love and compassion is what makes her powerful. It kind of tells young women "Yeah, you don't need to be the best at everything to be a good person or to be the hero of your own story," which is something that I appreciate as a message to send to girls and young women.

Also, while Sailor Moon has been a damsel before, Tuxedo Mask was a damsel in so many more ways in both the anime and the manga. Anytime a big battle would happen in the anime, Tuxedo Mask was either captured, brainwashed, injured, dead, or just staying at the sidelines for the heck of it, haha.

That said, the characters that I much prefer in the manga are Venus, Mars, Chibi Moon, and Tuxedo Mask. This especially applies to Sailor Venus; the manga version of her character is easily one of my favorite Senshi. I think the anime changed her character to be another token ditzy blonde (which is disappointing, because they didn't treat her character like that at all in the first season).

All in all, as I've said before, I think there are things that the anime did better than the manga, and there are things that the manga did better than the anime. I love both versions, though. :)

It wasn't just editing out certain things about characters in the original English dub that made it bad. There was actually a lot of editing the very structure of episodes. As I mentioned before, go to YouTube and watch some of the pilot episode unedited and then the original English dub, and it's like looking at two different shows. It got better as time went on, but that first season was very edited.

I can understand why they edited some of the more "mature" things,since it was marketed as a "kid's show" here in the states.But I remember thinking how strange it was in one of the episodes how they cut out Mars slapping Moon in the face.It was such an obvious edit (they replaced it with some "why are you talking so mean to me?" dialog from Sailor Moon) and I was like 'was that really too inappropriate for the youngins?' (they even showed the unedited scene in the "Sailor Moon says" ending)

There was a lot of seemingly random editing done like that. It almost makes me wonder if there was multiple editing teams that had little to no communication. The biggest weird edit I always thought was how they actually edited the school buses to be driving on the other side of the road, I assume to simulate that it was set in the States as opposed to Japan. Like anyone is even going to notice that ****.

I can understand why they edited some of the more "mature" things,since it was marketed as a "kid's show" here in the states.But I remember thinking how strange it was in one of the episodes how they cut out Mars slapping Moon in the face.It was such an obvious edit (they replaced it with some "why are you talking so mean to me?" dialog from Sailor Moon) and I was like 'was that really too inappropriate for the youngins?' (they even showed the unedited scene in the "Sailor Moon says" ending)

The thing is though, why even acquire the license for these shows if all you're gonna do is butcher it to pieces?

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

The thing is though, why even acquire the license for these shows if all you're gonna do is butcher it to pieces?

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Anime was a relatively new thing to the mainstream at the time, and there was an effort to both sanitize and Americanize them. Sailor Moon just sort of had the double-edged luck of being one of the first of it's kind.

For what it's worth, that practice did get toned a lot as time went on. A company probably couldn't get away with that at all nowadays.

Come to think of it they really ramped up the whole Mars-Moon rivalry thing in the dub. It was already exaggerated in the uncut anime but DiC really took it to a whole other level, they even inserted a subplot in later episodes of Rei trying to steal the leader role from Serena/Usagi. DiC and CWI exaggerated the other senshi's teasing of Usagi way too much, to the point where you wonder why the doink Serena stays friends with them besides duty.

Also a lot of the most emotional parts of the original show were doinked around in the dub with doinky dialogue. For instance, here's a comparison of the scene where Usagi/Serena discovers that Mamoru/Darien is Tuxedo Mask in both versions:

[YT]XIVm0Js3iMQ[/YT]

In the dub they had Serena make stupid jokes that don't match the scene at all...

Last edited:
Gosh, that original vs. English dub clip ... It's like night and day. The Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru reveal to Sailor Moon in the Japanese version is really cute and well-handled. Tuxedo Mask graciously thanks Sailor Moon for protecting him, and that it's his turn to protect her. In the dub, Sailor Moon acts really disappointed that Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask, and Tuxedo Mask acts like a jerk to her, saying that the fight doesn't concern her. :facepalm:

The dub did so many unnecessary changes in the dialogue. So much so, in fact, that I think they made many of the main characters very unlikable the more I think about it. The Moon and Mars rivalry you mentioned, doink, made both of them extremely unlikable, especially Mars ...

I remember when I was a kid watching the English dub for the first time, Mars was easily my least favorite character. I remember during one episode, the dub changed the dialogue so much to the point where it implied that Mars had taken the Crescent Moon Wand/Silver Crystal from Sailor Moon, and that she was willing to let Sailor Moon die in a battle without it. In the Japanese version Moon trusted Mars the most, and it turned out that she GAVE Mars the wand to protect because she didn't trust herself to keep it from the bad guys in attempt to save Mamoru. Why even change that at all? Of course I didn't notice this kind of stuff as a kid, but watching the original Japanese version just opened my eyes, and I haven't been able to watch the dub in a favorable light again.

As I said in another post in this thread, by the time S and SuperS was airing on Cartoon Network back in Summer 2000 (was that really 14 years ago? Wowza.), I had already started watching the Japanese version, so watching the new dub episodes on CN even at that point was a really tough experience, haha.

Jupiter has always been my #1 favorite Senshi, and when I saw how the dub handled her character during the Sailor Moon S episode when her pure heart was taken, I remember being so mad. When the monster was attacking her, she was saying "PLEASE, SOMEBODY HELP ME! Help me, please, anybody!" in the English dub and held a grudge towards Uranus and Neptune for not saving her. In the original, she was simply crying out in pain, and she became angry later on because she assumed that Uranus and Neptune let Haruka and Michiru get hurt. That's a big difference! Jupiter comes across as much more selfless in the original, rather than helpless.

It's like I said above, the edit doesn't just get **** for sanitizing certain elements, in many cases it changed the structure of the show or the story.

Well, there is a strong consensus that it is uniformly inferior. So it probably is. And it may be that I was able to enjoy the dub because the original was just so amazing that it could survive a hack job and still be compelling enough, particularly to someone like kyself used to north American crap.

But since the original dub is such a step down ... I guess I have a lot to look forward to !

But I'll defend a few things about the dub to the end: the season one voice actresses and actors, mainly, and just the idea of dubbing a Japanese cartoon for north america must have been ballsy for that period. Oh and I like the names ... if I had a daughter I'd want her named after the scouts, one of them. I think of Sailor Moon whenever I visit the Chilean town of La Serena. I go there for work, it's the world capital of telescopes, or close to it.

I hope we get some joke on this show about sailor pluto being unhappy with pluto being demoted by the International astronomical union to "dwarf planet" or whatever. Wasn't she the tallest one? The show could also make fun of it bringing thin Sailor Sedna, Sailor Quaoar, etc.

I for one liked the Mars/Moon rivalry in the dub, not everyone gets along. And it lessened as the series went on so they showed them growing closer.

I have ZERO interest in anything manga. :)

High-res scans of the Animedia and Animage articles and pictures:
http://wildmushroomland.com/2014/06/10/sailor-moon-sneak-peeks-in-animage-and-animedia-july-2014/

According to the interview with the director in Animedia, SMC will be set in present day. The interview in Animage is with the director and character designer, one interesting fact I saw was that the other voice actors' auditions had them acting alongside Mitsuishi Kotono.

Also you can see Mamoru's character design (though not in color), and he will be in high school in this version, just like in the manga.

High-res scans of the Animedia and Animage articles and pictures:
http://wildmushroomland.com/2014/06/10/sailor-moon-sneak-peeks-in-animage-and-animedia-july-2014/

According to the interview with the director in Animedia, SMC will be set in present day. The interview in Animage is with the director and character designer, one interesting fact I saw was that the other voice actors' auditions had them acting alongside Mitsuishi Kotono.

Also you can see Mamoru's character design (though not in color), and he will be in high school in this version, just like in the manga.

This is awesome, thanks for posting this!

I'm totally going to use the picture of the Inner Senshi from the trailer as my new desktop background. :up:

This is such a cute drawing:

animedia-714-02b.jpg

^Loving that background music!

I really, really hope that this show lives up to its hype. July 5th is almost here! AH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"