Dark of the Moon Sam Witwicky is a Terrible Character

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
I think Sam Witwicky is a terrible character, he is shallow, self absorbed, neurotic, everything falls into his lap and he only succeeds due to stumbling across some plot devices, he almost never succeeds due to his intelligence for example and he never really progresses as a character.

Here is a good article on the subject:

http://atomicanxiety.com/2012/01/12/transformers-dark-of-the-moon/

Would you agree or disagree with the idea that Sam is a terrible character? I mean Age of Extinction essentially doesn't even mention him, so how important to the story was he?

For me he was semi likeable in Transformers 1, after that.... Meh

For me he was semi likeable in Transformers 1, after that.... Meh

In Transformers 1, he was somewhat tolerable, but he got worse as the movies went along. If he got some good character development over the course of the film series, he would receive far less criticism.

I don't completely agree. I think he has the standard protagonist Marty Mcfly arc. Confidence. Responsibility. Humility. Each is a lesson he has to learn in each film. Peter Parker is shallow and neurotic too. Sam is self-absorbed in ROTF and DOTM, which is called for, as in both films it ties into his character arc. In ROTF, he just wants to live his life, he doesn't want the hassle of a giant robot war. Would you? His journey in that movie is about learning that with the situation he's been placed in, he has a responsibility to act. In DOTM, he has acted, he's there, he's in the war in his mind, he's accepted that as his place, he's taken on that responsibility, but he can't act on it, he's stuck in the war, in hero mode, unable to do anything heroic. So, his arc is to understand that he doesn't have to be as involved as he once was. As for having everything given to him. He's also had a crap load of problems and danger given to him too. The way you phrase it makes it sound like he gets stuff with no consequences. I don't think that's true.

Yeah, I just don't know why they renamed him because in the G1 cartoon he was known as Spike.

I think Sam Witwicky is a terrible character, he is shallow, self absorbed, neurotic, everything falls into his lap and he only succeeds due to stumbling across some plot devices, he almost never succeeds due to his intelligence for example and he never really progresses as a character.

Here is a good article on the subject:

http://atomicanxiety.com/2012/01/12/transformers-dark-of-the-moon/

Would you agree or disagree with the idea that Sam is a terrible character? I mean Age of Extinction essentially doesn't even mention him, so how important to the story was he?
The problem is he only spends a few paragraphs talking about Spike in the third movie only.

In TF 1 he was workable enough as the clumsy but well intentioned teenager.

It got old fairly quick of course.

He was definitely best in TF1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"