ScarJo fires back at critics and says she "should be able to play any person"

This also comes back around to the other issue, that when so many people talk about representation, they only seem to be talking about black representation, as if black and white is all there is. People barely ever talk about Hispanic/Asian/Native American etc representation, which is exponentially less on film.

It's also a seemingly a very American issue. We have a dedicated free to air TV channel the focuses about half of its content on world movies and tv series, from Europe to Asia and everywhere in between. This is why platforms like Netflix and Amazon are the real future of entertainment because they cater to global audiences and invest in productions that cater for those regions. The real diversity that people are looking for won't come in the form of traditional Hollywood, it's a system that is slow to change. It will come in the form of online streaming giants.

This is a toughie. While I agree with the idea that actors should be able to play anyone, I also understand that this type of thinking put false teeth on Mickey Rooney. And cast white leads in Exodus: Gods and Kings the same year Mr. Leto won his award.

The idea that folks casting for films with transgender characters now feel pressured to look at transgender actors seems like a good thing. But it shouldn't prevent creatives from working with the folks they like best. And poor Scarjo probably would have survived the Rub & Tug controversy if she wasn't just coming off a whitewashed role with the same director.

Hollywood typically treats having a marginalized identity as a detriment, which is an attitude that keeps those identities at the margins. I.e. "you can't play Superman because you're a trans man and Superman is not a trans man." Even without those words being said, it's an ongoing implied norm. The rare movie gets made in which having that identity is an asset, except it turns out that the people who typically get cast in films (Scar Jo) are more "qualified," as if being a talented actor and a minority are mutually exclusive.

Maybe a perfect world or a utopia would be one where anyone can play anyone. This is also a place where everyone has equal power and equal access to opportunities, which only exists as a fantasy. Since we don't live in that world, I don't get why people can't be excited when opportunities are made for marginalized people to act and be seen and I don't get when people can't understand why others are disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Interviewer: So what can you tell us about your latest role?

Actor: Well its gonna be a tough role but all the lads and ladies are working hard and im gonna put in the dedication to learning the lines, working together as a unit with my fellow actors and trying to see it through so we can hopefully get that Oscar nomination at the end of the season, I mean year.

Just picturing everyone doing it in that dull same tone throughout that you get after a match :funny::funny::funny:

Reminds me of Bill Burr's bit in one of his stand up specials making fun of people who sit and watch the draft.

This is a toughie. While I agree with the idea that actors should be able to play anyone, I also understand that this type of thinking put false teeth on Mickey Rooney. And cast white leads in Exodus: Gods and Kings the same year Mr. Leto won his award.

The idea that folks casting for films with transgender characters now feel pressured to look at transgender actors seems like a good thing. But it shouldn't prevent creatives from working with the folks they like best. And poor Scarjo probably would have survived the Rub & Tug controversy if she wasn't just coming off a whitewashed role with the same director.

Well Mickey Rooney being cast as an Asian man with terrible makeup would go back to what I said about how "actors should be able to play any role IF they can pull it off convincingly".

Casting a white person as an Asian character should be a no-go just because it's physically inappropriate and unconvincing.

That, to me, is different from Jared Leto playing a transgender character.

Well Mickey Rooney being cast as an Asian man with terrible makeup would go back to what I said about how "actors should be able to play any role IF they can pull it off convincingly".

Casting a white person as an Asian character should be a no-go just because it's physically inappropriate and unconvincing.

That, to me, is different from Jared Leto playing a transgender character.

With the improvements in makeup and digital effects in the years subsequent to Breakfast at Tiffany's, there's no reason a middle aged white man couldn't make a convincing Asian fellow on the big screen. In fact, using modern techniques one could resurrect Mr. Rooney hisownself and put a Mr. Yunioshi onscreen that hews more closely to delicate liberal sensibilities. Still, I don't think that's a wise idea.

The problem with casting folks as someone of a different ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, etc. is that the default is (almost) always straight white dude or lady. You're unlikely, say, to have a transgender actor cast as Joker or Morbius. Or anyone else, for that matter.

So, as I said, it's a toughie. Actors should be able to stretch their wings creatively, but it's a shame when those with far fewer opportunities are shut out in the process. In this situation Ms. Johansson was coming off a white washed role and the backlash she received was appropriate. We'll see what happens the next time this comes up.

Joel Grey pulled off playing an Asian in REMO WILLIAMS.

I vaguely remember the controversy over that one, with Mr. Grey assuring an interview that he didn't tape his eyelids to assume his "exotic" appearance. The photos of him in full yellowface are tough to look at.

Let's not forget RDJ in Tropic Thunder also.

Let's not forget RDJ in Tropic Thunder also.

The irony (which is utterly lost on Twitter SJWs who continue to hold playing “blackface” against RDJ) is that it was satirically making fun of actors arrogant enough to think they can play any role ever.

Exactly. It was basically a commentary on the absurdity and lengths some actors go to get into character. And it was brilliant. Not to mention the make up job wasn't done in a mocking way. You would never in million years think it was RDJ unless you were told because the make up was so convincing. The Twitter crowd doesn't understand that context matters, and that is the more trouble aspect of their behaviour to me. It's like there's a generation of people who don't understand that intentions matter.

''After a beat, Johansson makes it clear that she disagrees with many of her peers. "I love Woody," she says. "I believe him, and I would work with him anytime."
The Season of Scarlett Johansson: Two Hot Films, Her Marvel Future, Woody Allen and a Pick for President

:twisted:
I will stick up for her on most things, but this lol
giphy.gif

Joel Grey's like 800 years old, and basically admits to even doing blackface in his variety show days. Thank god no video evidence of that exists.

I will stick up for her on most things, but this lol
giphy.gif
Yeah. I've long since realized people I might think otherwise good can really **** themselves up sometimes and there is no reason to defend them when they do. If they do or say something like this, it's on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"