Scorsese's The Irishman

Especially when pop culture is still so damn familiar with young Deniro.

Hopefully Scorsese uses it properly. Lighting would help and it would need to be brief. A full blown performance of a young Deniro would be too much.

Based on what I've heard, it's not a "full blown performance", but there will be plenty of it. It's not just one or two brief scenes.

I'm a little worried about it, but I trust Father Scorsese. I mean, I hate 3D and Hugo's 3D is fantastic. The General's just got "it".

So Pesci's still out, right?

I really am curious who Scorsese casts in his place if he turns it down. I'm serious about Jonah Hill. I think that's a great choice. Age him while they de-age the other guys.

Netflix getting the rights to Scorsese's The Irishman.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/ma...n-robert-deniro-netflix-paramount-1201785658/

In a sign of the ongoing power shift in Hollywood, Martin Scorsese’s $100-million gangster movie “The Irishman,” his ninth starring Robert De Niro, has been scooped up by Netflix, which is in the process of closing a deal to release the movie to its 93 million subscribers in 190 countries.

The movie was going to be backed by Paramount Pictures, but with its 12-year chairman Brad Grey heading out the door, Scorsese’s team put together another package. As someone close to the deal put it,
“Scorsese’s movie is a risky deal, and Paramount is not in the position to take risks. This way, he can make the project he wants.”
We now live in a world where Netflix is in a better position than any major studio to make a Martin Scorsese-Robert DeNiro gangster movie. Netflix would not comment on the deal.
Steve Zaillian adapted “The Irishman” screenplay from Charles Brandt‘s book, “I Heard You Paint Houses,” which details the life of Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran, a mob hitman whose illustrious career is today best known for a supposed involvement in the death of Jimmy Hoffa. The movie was first announced in 2008.
Paramount hedged its bets by picking up North American rights while foreign sales company Mexico’s Fabrica de Cine (“Silence”) put the movie up for auction at Cannes. In a bidding war with Lionsgate, Fox and Universal, “The Irishman” sold for $50 million to rising studio STX Entertainment. That was the price, because Scorsese’s rambunctious Leonardo DiCaprio comedy, “The Wolf of Wall Street,” was a global hit ($392 million).
Now, per their usual custom, Netflix is acquiring all world rights. That means STX is likely out, as is Media Asia, which picked up distribution rights for China.

The movie has no official start date, but sources say it is aiming for 2019 release day-and-date with a limited Oscar-qualifying release.
Scorsese still has an overall feature deal with Paramount that runs through 2019. The studio released his last film, “Silence.”

Wow, that's huge.

Something I've been thinking about: this could be Scorsese's send off. Sad but, in a way, it's kind of fitting. His last two films would be Silence, which represents the spiritual: something's that loomed over his work since the very beginning and gave cinephiles their favorites from Marty, and The Irishman would be the commercial send out, being the sort of film the general public most closely associates the director with and even (theoretically) brings him full circle to a 70s style, gritty crime thriller starring some of the biggest names of the time (including Marty's most famed collaborator).

Just a thought. :)

Man, we are through the looking class when it comes to the rise of internet distribution.

Interesting point, David H. But I don't think he'll be retiring, to be honest. He'll keep going until he can't anymore.

Maybe not. I certainly wouldn't want him to.

Another thought: by using "controversial" visual effects to de-age actors and having the film distributed by a streaming service, could one see this as Scorsese giving the format and tools his blessing?

Like a call to future filmmakers to embrace all possibilities? I see that way. Specially if it's the end.

STX Weighing Legal Action Over Netflix Deal for Martin Scorsese’s ‘The Irishman’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Martin Scorsese’s upcoming mob movie “The Irishman” looks to be running into trouble as distributor STX is weighing legal action over Mexican producer Gaston Pavlovich’s pending deal with Netflix. STX bought all non-U.S. distribution rights to the Robert De Niro-starring movie last year in a $50-million deal that was the talk of the Cannes Film Festival.

But STX’s role in distributing the film was cast into doubt after Pavlovich and his Fabrica de Cine outfit tried to switch instead to a worldwide deal with Netflix. Meanwhile, “The Irishman” production budget is quickly ballooning to $125 million from its originally estimated cost of $100 million.

The studio released a terse statement through a spokesman.

“As a policy, STX does not comment on rumors or matters related to litigation,” the statement reads.

News of Netflix closing in on a global distribution deal for “The Irishman” has set off alarm bells with international distributors who had bought rights to the film from STX.As of late Thursday in Europe and Asia, STX had not notified the distributors that their agreements were liable to be canceled. The silence makes sense given the company’s possible choice to pursue legal remedies.

But the reports of an imminent deal between Pavlovich and Netflix have alarmed – and angered – some of those distributors, who feel they have been kept out of the loop and are waiting for answers.

“It’s like you selling me an apartment and then saying someone else is going to move in,” said Stefano Massenzi of Italy’s Lucky Red, which purchased “The Irishman” for Italy.

Olivier Van den Broeck of Belgian distributor The Searchers, which also struck a deal with STX, said he expected his contract to be honored.

“We have a legally binding and fully executed contract re all exclusive rights in Benelux for ‘The Irishman,’” Van den Broeck wrote in an email. “The chain of title as of today allows to my knowledge no opening for Netflix to even negotiate international rights with these deals in place.”

Hong Kong-based Media Asia, which bought the rights for mainland China, issued a similar statement. “We are still clarifying with STX,” a spokesman said. “But as far as we are concerned, we have a legally binding distribution contract on hand.”

Netflix declined to comment.

Contrary to some reports that he himself was out of the picture, Pavlovich insists that he remains on board to produce “The Irishman” and that he is in final negotiations with Netflix.

The scramble to put together a new deal – and the confusion it has spawned – comes after Pavlovich and Fabrica de Cine, along with other backers, lost tens of millions of dollars on Scorsese’s “Silence.” The religious drama cost $46.5 million to make, as well as millions more to promote and distribute, but grossed just $7 million in the U.S.

At the same time, the budget for “The Irishman” has risen by at least $25 million because of the complexity of the visual effects work needed to make De Niro look much younger in the film, sources say. The all-star cast also includes Al Pacino and Joe Pesci.

Those factors apparently prompted Pavlovich to change the way the production is being mounted. “I’m a very passionate filmmaker, but I’m very aware that this has to work business-wise,” he told Variety in a recent interview. “I do understand that this is a risk-oriented industry, so the best I can do is mitigate that risk.”

Sources say that Paramount, which had reportedly paid $15 million for U.S. rights to “The Irishman,” has now sold them back to Fabrica to enable Pavlovich to pursue a worldwide deal with Netflix. The studio is dealing with its own turmoil with the forced exit of its chief Brad Grey.

“The Irishman” is based on the Charles Brandt memoir “I Heard You Paint Houses,” which recounts mob hitman Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran’s deathbed confession that he had been involved in the killing of Jimmy Hoffa on the orders of mob boss Russell Bufalino.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/martin-scorsese-netflix-the-irishman-1201995148/

And now we resume Pesci Watch.

They cite IMDb as the source. I'm not holding my breath.

Wait, so this is a $100 million straight to Netflix film?

Straight to Netflix, but it will have a limited theater release for Oscar qualification.

Pesci and Keitel are finally in. http://deadline.com/2017/07/joe-pes...bert-de-niro-martin-scorsese-deal-1202126751/

Martin Scorsese is putting the band back together. Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel have officially joined Al Pacino (whose deal is currently being finalized) and Robert De Niro in Scorsese’s Jimmy Hoffa disappearance film The Irishman. Bobby Cannavale is also joining the fray for Netflix.

The Irishman will mark the first time that Pacino and Scorsese will have worked together and the first time all the Italian greats are on the big screen together. The film starts shooting next month in and around New York and will continue through December.

Pesci’s involvement comes after the actor said no multiple times (some say about 50); a deal was just sealed this week. He will portray Russell Bufalino, a Mafia boss out of PA and has been long suspected of having a hand in the disappearance of Hoffa. Pesci and Scorsese have done five films together.

Give it all the Oscars.

Pesci just did not wanna get back in front of the camera, boy. But this is a get.

This film is going to be insane with this cast. Holy s***.

ierJ31n.gif

De Niro
Pacino
Pesci
Keitel

I can't even deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"