House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 1 "The Heirs of the Dragon"

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
7XwiwyH.png

Yeah, I'm just going to keep calling him Vigo.

Really like the new dragon designs.

Its a good start. I really liked Milly Alcock as Rhaenyra. I will be sad to see them go when they switch actors. The rest of the cast is great as well. Still GOT, with all the sex and violence and gore that goes with it. Got some good incest vibes from Vigo with Rhaenyra. Wonderful creepy feeling when Otto Hightower sent his daughter to seduce the king. The tournament was fun. I lol'ed when it turned to violence.

Also, entertaining wig game. A+

The dragon names are going to be a pain to learn.

It's a solid series opener but the one thing that took me out was they felt the need to add fart sounds right before someone's d**k was chopped off. lol

Good first episode. It wasn't hooking me like the GOT pilot did, so I wasn't sure how to feel about it until halfway through. It got better as it went. So many names, so many wigs... :o Matt Smith, Milly Alcock, and Paddy Considine are great.

freak-out-muppets.gif

SO freaking good! Acting, directing, writing, design.... all incredible. Really the perfect launching-off point for the story, and I cannot wait to see where it goes from here. A few small changes (Gwayne being Otto's eldest son rather than youngest and Boremund being Rhaenys' cousin rather than uncle) but nothing major.

Corlys and Rhaenys are already iconic. Matt Smith's swagger as Daemon is perfect. Milli Alcock is so good it makes me sad knowing she'll be replaced within a few episodes. Paddy Considine is doing incredible work with Viserys. And the actress who played Aemma did wonders to attach us to her in her short screentime.

WESTEROS IS BACK, BABY!

Solid episode, I don't think it was as immersive as GOT if you are not fully into the lore, so it will need some more episodes to get invested.

Great start to the series. Loved the set up and the characters are interesting. Production design is on point as well.

Solid start but I'd agree with those saying it didn't quite hook me like the GoT pilot. Most of the characters besides Daemon didn't grab me.

It was fine. I love that they basically kept the music from got.
Matt Smith was awesome.
That said, I'm not sucked in, yet.

That's where I am right now. I think the end of Thrones just set the bar so low that anything else with the slightest bit of effort looks good by comparison. But it's decent right now and I just hope they stick the landing.

That said, yeah, great music at least.

The funniest was the guy mid-pump doggystyle on that Austin Powers bed, who casually stopped to listen to Doctor Who's speech.

GOT names were hard, sometimes - but at least they were all unique. Here, every other character's name sounds the same - woof.

It was fine. I love that they basically kept the music from got.
Matt Smith was awesome.
That said, I'm not sucked in, yet.

Yeah, I came here to say the same thing. It was solid and I enjoyed Matt Smith but other than that, nothing really grabbed me. I kept waiting for something shocking to really be the hook (like the Jaime/Cersei/Bran scene at the end of the original GOT premiere) but everything kinda played out as expected.

Random thoughts…

Paddy Considine looks silly with that wig. His acting was fine but he feels like a miscast, at least as a Targaryen.

It’s a bit strange that they will be recasting Rhaenyra and Alicent after a few episodes but at least they matched up the actors well. And Olivia Cooke is amazing in everything so I’m looking forward to seeing her. In the case of Rhaenyra, I wasn’t even sure they had switched actors in the trailer footage until I looked it up. At first I though that maybe Covid delays during filming took up so much time that Milly Alcock actually aged significantly lol.

Again, Damon was the highlight of the episode; loved his menacing presence and badass armor, and the scene with his red dragon was great. I also like that we got some insight into his inner turmoil so that he’s not just a straight-up villain.

LOL, why doesn’t anyone want to sit next to Otto at the table? Does the guy need to bathe more or do they just all hate him for being the kind of slimeball who would pimp out his daughter?

The whole “deep dark secret” about the coming winter really fell flat. Especially since there can’t be any payoff to it in this show; we already know how it ends and it won’t be for hundreds of years.

Was it typical for knights to just slaughter each other in tournaments? Seems like kind of a waste of resources just because someone’s pride is wounded. I was kinda surprised that Damon wasn’t all that great at jousting. And anyone who has ever played Defender of the Crown on NES knows you don’t aim for the horse or else you get barred from the tournament! :funny:

Who's playing the chubby dark haired guy on the Council? Almost thought it was Buzz from Home Alone...

Tough crowd. It wasn't as good as the GOT pilot but you know what also wasn't as good as the GOT pilot? A whole bunch of really damn good episodes of Thrones.

I thought this was a very good episode that did a very strong job of setting up the scenario for the season. I already like Rhaenyra better than I liked Daenerys in the the GOT pilot and Daemon is just menacing.

I think this is about as good of a start as you could ask for given how the final season left the general audience.

Looking forward to more.

Maybe I’ve just seen too many ScreenRant Pitch Meetings, but all the name dropping (Baratheon, Stark, etc.) and the mention of the Song of Ice and Fire just had me thinking of Ryan (as the executive guy) going, “That’s the name of the thing from the other show!”

To be fair to HOTD, these houses were already in positions of power at the time of the show so it makes sense that they were be involved in some way. But it still felt like they were constantly beating us over the head with references to the other show.

I'm very happy with that first episode. I'm glad they didn't go for shock value in the first episode and just focused on quality and establishing this new part of the lore.

Anyone know who was doing the narration at the beginning? Voice sounded familiar but I couldn’t place it.

Maybe I’ve just seen too many ScreenRant Pitch Meetings, but all the name dropping (Baratheon, Stark, etc.) and the mention of the Song of Ice and Fire just had me thinking of Ryan (as the executive guy) going, “That’s the name of the thing from the other show!”

To be fair to HOTD, these houses were already in positions of power at the time of the show so it makes sense that they were be involved in some way. But it still felt like they were constantly beating us over the head with references to the other show.
I had the opposite thought, that the names helped to tie both series together.

The worst offense was using the GOT theme in the beginning and a few times near the end of the episode.

Paddy Considine is really good in the role acting wise, but man Rhys Ifans is just so cold, calculating and manipulating in this so far that I definitely think he would been much more effective/believable as the King. Outside of Matt Smith's Daemon Targaryen he's probably the second most interesting character in the show for me and I guess I can't complain too much since I do think he's pretty much perfect casting for that role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"