Season 1, Episode 13 "AKA Smile" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Discussion in 'Jessica Jones' started by Pwoper Nereguar, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Pwoper Nereguar

Pwoper Nereguar Registered

[​IMG]

A Reminder That This Thread Is Only To Discuss Episode 13: AKA Smile

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

#1 Pwoper Nereguar, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Hidan

Hidan Registered

I don't know why, maybe it's his ever looming presence, but I feel like Purple Man is still alive. Maybe I missed something due to the fact that I've been watching this for thirteen hours straight, but the fetus serum he took didn't seem to upgrade him more so than his previous upgrade. If it has a really high probably chance of killing him I'm sure there have to be some crazy benefits, which is why I feel like snapping his neck didn't kill him as no further benefits were shown from taking the supposedly deadly serum. The only reason why I feel like he took it was just so he could end up fooling himself thinking that Jessica was no longer immune, which as a viewer is a bit disappointing.

I feel like we may see some Purple Man in Defenders along with Fisk in a Manhatten revamped version of the Masters of Evil.

3. Eddie

Eddie Registered

I dunno. It seemed like they were setting up this "IGH" to be Jessica's new "big bad". That said, Kilgrave very briefly turned purple after injection. Maybe if they do bring him back it will be as a true "Purple Man". Comic Purple Man did have a healing factor...

4. Leo Zelinsky

Leo Zelinsky Mutie

Didn't get the cameo I wanted

5. Mai

Mai Registered

I wish he wasn't dead, I wanted him to live because I enjoyed his character but I didnt think it would go any other way. I think his character is done now.

Loved that Claire was in this episode and her reference to Daredevil!

6. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

nice, they basically set up season 2 already

7. mocomic

mocomic Philistian by choice

They missed opportunity. When they did stem cell boost, needed to go purple. I think the IGH(?) people may steal Killgraves body

8. samsnee

samsnee Ok

I was a little disappointed. I wasn't expecting a one on one fist fight, but was hoping for something a little more climatic between JJ and Killgrave.

9. Eddie

Eddie Registered

He started going purple right when he was injected. I would have preferred it if he was purple during the finale, but at least we got a visual Easter Egg to it.

10. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

AKA, you know, Killgrave is actually a Cornish surname, not some made up fantasy name.

This was an enjoyable final episode. Rosario Dawson as Claire was a good addition. Part of me wonders why Luke Cage could survive a bomb, but is knocked out by a shotgun. Minor complaint. This was a satisfying ending. There was sufficient tension as to whether Jessica could resist his power (I'm starting to think Killgrave's mom is the scientific genius), there was lots of tension in the end. Hoggarth saving Jessica was even a fitting ending, although I know most people wanted Matt Murdock.

Overall, I'm thrilled. Five Stars.

11. los pollos

los pollos Registered

That explosion wasn't even all that powerful, it was just a small gas explosion. it's not like he took a blast from detonated C4 which is more powerful explosive material. Many people get KO'd from strikes to the chin all the time in fights, so Luke getting put to sleep by a point blank shotgun blast isn't that surprising, especially since his brain isn't as tough as his skin is.

12. sabetoonth

sabetoonth Where You Get Those Eyes?

Yea,
    and when he yells "STOP" he starts turning purple where there were lots of capillaries.

13. Ghostcrow13

Ghostcrow13 Registered

Definitely see IGH being the bad for S2, there wasn't as much future set up as DD but that did seem a set up.

Also the blatant giving Claire Jessica's card as well. I really don't expect it but I hope Jessica is hired by Matt in a S2 of DD.

I also have the feeling [BLACKOUT]Kilgrave is not definitely dead, yeah maybe he is but a neck snap can be come back from in the MCU I reckon, he didn't have his head removed or he wasn't blown up. [/BLACKOUT]

14. Nathan

Nathan Registered

I read up on his powers. He actually has a Healing Factor in the comics. He "died" at least twice, and came back. In one of those instances he was forced to walk in front of a train. So he could probably recover from a broken neck.

15. Ghostcrow13

Ghostcrow13 Registered

Plus it makes no sense to completely [BLACKOUT]kill off Jessica's main villain in the first season,[/BLACKOUT] not to mention he is easily one of the top MCU villains and just MCU characters in general.

16. Nathan

Nathan Registered

While I agree, I honestly wasn't too surprised that they killed him off. A guy with his powers, is simply way too dangerous. He can commit mass murder with only words. If they decide to bring him back, that'd be great. But if they decide to let him stay dead permanently, I won't be mad.

17. jokesonm3

jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

Damn Superman :o

18. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

Don't understand use of spoiler tags when the last episode so will just put all my thoughts below:

Just finished watching. I liked the show and think they needed an endnote so they established that well. Certainly Jessica didn't want to kill but was eventually pushed into a corner by the massive threat he posed along with the continuous aftereffects by not dealing with him more decisively earlier on. Some of the episodes I felt dragged things on a bit unnecessarily (the Simpson and Trish conversations became hard to bear for me mid-season for example) but there were little things to at least hold it together.

I feel the discovery that Jessica was immune to his powers was just enough for me to kind of see why he was so obsessed with her and segues nicely into perhaps something to do with the underlying IGH enhancements she had after the car accident. Hopefully there'll be an explanation for how they counteracted the effects of the Purple Man (a future name perhaps?). Perhaps there'll be more exploration of the other kids besides Killgrave who underwent testing; was IGH involved? I feel there's still some pieces missing that could be explored writing wise as Killgrave may've felt some connection to Jessica as she had been experimented on like he had been an perhaps he was curious about his own powers or limitations to them.

Also, certain parts of the story such as what was on that flash drive and how Killgrave was connected with Cage's former wife I think still need some fleshing out. I heard rumors of the purple man appearing on Luke Cage; guess that'll be via flash back most likely.

#18 Hello2016, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  19. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

EPISODE 13: AKA SMILE
    Now, that's how you do a finale! The conflict between Jessica and Kilgrave which had unfolded over the course of a whole season came to the most satisfying of conclusions here. Tennant was at his most repellent and formidable here, making the final resolution all the more rewarding, ending with a glorious fist-pump moment for Jessica. And all through the episode we touched on the idea of being a hero, and how even the most damaged of souls are capable of good. I don't know how a Season 2 of this would work, since this season was so crucially built around its central storyline which is now over, but there are enough little threads and breadcrumbs left over here that they could put together something new. And wherever she shows up, I know I want more of Jessica Jones.

20. The Question

The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

I can't imagine that they'll revive Killgrave. His death just seemed so final, and was such a triumphant resolution to this part of Jessica's story (symbolically triumphing over her trauma by killing the man who caused it), that undoing his death would diminish this finale, I think. I certainly don't think they'll bring him back by saying "oh BTW, he ALSO had a healing facto that we forgot to mention!" That would come off as a very sloppy retcon (as it did when they did that very thing with the same character in the comics).

The only way I could see the resurection of Killgrave working is if it happened in the Defenders, was the result of The Hand or Blackheart or some other supernatural baddie (in the upcoming Defenders mini or any future ones) using magic to raise him in order to throw Jessica off her game, and if it was played off as a huge end of episode cliffhanger "OH ****" moment.

That scenario might work out. Anything else I would just roll my eyes at

21. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

Would this scenario work?

Bringing Killgrave back I think would be too difficult to explain and even a supernatural resurrection wouldn't fit very well I don't think. He's pretty much done. A purple colored corpse (an easter egg for purple man?) or flashback scenes is probably all the additional scenes we'll get with David Tennant playing Killgrave. Wasn't there a rumor of David Tennant on the set of Luke Cage though? Perhaps in flash back only as the whole story concerning the flash drive Jessica gives to Cage along with Reva's connection to Killgrave still needs to be explained more. So there may be something.

As far as a future villain goes, I suppose it's possible his abilities could be replicated by some mad scientist. Supposedly a medical examiner could've recovered the body of Killgrave. The death was being investigated and Jessica did get waved off due to lack of evidence. Perhaps some medical examiner will study over his body somewhat to look for any abnormalities. His body will be presumably kept under observation... However, saying he's not dead completely when the body is recovered is too much so I don't think that will work. The writers I think meant for this to be final.

#21 Hello2016, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  22. Dave McFly

Dave McFly "shed my skin"

we need a gif of Jessica doing that creepy smile on the dock fight.

23. Sundancer

Sundancer Cynicist

Maybe I missed this in a previous episode but...

Did they mention anything about the vaccine Killgrave's dad used NOT working? I kept thinking the vaccine would pop-up in the finale somehow, but the writers seemd to have forgotten about it. Obviously it didn't work, but why even bother writing about it if the plot point doesn't go anywhere?

24. Harry_Lime02

Harry_Lime02 This is the girl

I think his dad would've been much less likely to agree to meet up with him if it wasn't for the vaccine. Unfortunately they wouldn't know whether it worked or not until it was too late.

25. wampa1

wampa1 Registered

I had the same thought but..
    I thought the serum DID work? After he takes it, Kilgrave tells him to 'come here' or something and Daddy Kilgrave hesitates and then flashes a smile at Jessicia as though he's just playing along