Falcon and Winter Soldier Season 1, Episode 2: “The Star Spangled Man” (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'MCU Limited Series on Disney+' started by GREEN =w= DAY, Mar 26, 2021.

1. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I think the Thunderbolts is definitely in the works.

2. Holy Slapper Registered

Someone commented that the hate channels haven't gone on a "rage" yet about this episode. G+G literally put out a video a year ago that the script for this show was anti-government woke PC. I'm not going to link to that but Youtube showed me the video.

3. Schlosser85 Registered

Touching on stuff that actually happens IRL is being “woke”?

4. Neno_Kos Registered

I must say maybe I am too hard critic but both episodes felt like mixed bag. Didnt want comment nothing after first one, but with second one out you can get more or less what's this show is about.

Both episodes had some really good moments and on other hand I wont say terrible but I get feel if they mashed up two episodes into one we would get one great. It's hard to say given we dont know how rest of show will pan out. But I am still waiting to see where this show is going.

I can't say story hooked me up. It just doesnt feel compelling for now. That might change later. I do like approach with Bucky, Falcon too, but rest I dont know. It's really mixed bag.

5. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Rewatched episode 2 and one thing o didn’t really notice was how much the dynamic between Bucky & Sam kinda reminds me of Riggs & Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon

6. djsunyc Registered

what's interesting is this was mostly filmed by the time covid started...which was before the george floyd incident and the blm marches. if no covid, this is released in august and in that timeline, maybe george floyd doesnt happen and neither do all the marches.

my point is that this was filmed and all before last summer. last summer changed a lot of how black people are viewed in america and that alters people's perception of how race is handled in the show watching it now instead of when it was supposed to air.

7. MbJ Registered

I was very surprised to see them use Isaiah Bradley in this. I hope they delve more into his backstory.

8. wwkirk Registered

Any idea on who the "Power Broker" is? And is Hydra behind either the Power Broker or the Flag Smashers?

It's hard not to think Hydra fits in somewhere since Helmut Zemo is being brought in.

Batmannerism likes this.
  9. Schlosser85 Registered

Well The Powerbroker is his own separate character from the comics. Though there's speculation they'll change it here to be someone like Thaddeus Ross or other suspects.

We don't know if Hydra has anything to do with this, or if Hydra even functionally still exists. And keep in mind, the MCU's version of Helmut Zemo was never Hydra, he just took advantage of their technology and their leaked files for his own purposes.

10. wwkirk Registered

How is it I never saw this before?! lol
    [​IMG]

11. Batmannerism Super-unknown

My theory is that
    the GRC who Walker works for are Hydra, and Walker will be revealed to be a Hydra agent all along, mirroring the infamous scene in the comics where Captain America says " hail Hydra" causing the entire audience to lose their minds.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  12. Batmannerism Super-unknown

And now I've said it, I'm putting this theory out there for reactions from everyone:

My theory is that
    the GRC who Walker works for are Hydra, and Walker will be revealed to be a Hydra agent all along, mirroring the infamous scene in the comics where Captain America says " hail Hydra" , when he says it that will cause the entire audience to lose their minds, just wait for the reaction videos.

13. Fosterson Registered

Not only was MCU Zemo not a member of Hydra, but he also seemed to be opposed to them. He tells the former Hydra agent in Cleveland that "Hydra deserves its place on the ash heap".

So Zemo definitely isn't a Hydra sympathiser.

14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It was a well done scene. Certainly more of worth to mine there if they choose to.

15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, we were saying we expected this before the show came out. It’s showed much of the charm that that pair had together and hopefully continues to deliver on that promise.

Schlosser85 and GREEN =w= DAY like this.
  16. djsunyc Registered

disney+ series of black captain america set in the 50s? that would be soooo dope.

17. Mister J Enlightened to the Great Darkness

Kinda meh for the second outing. A lot of the comedy fell flat for me. I took the bickering between Sam and Bucky as playful brother-type **** and reeled a bit when it revealed to be legit. Not Hatfield/McCoy levels, but something palpable.

I was also expecting Walker to be more of a bastard early on, even though there's a bit of a tease there. Maybe later.

Isaiah Bradley. :wowe:I didn't keep up with casting/show news, so surprise, surprise.

Iceman likes this.
  18. Fosterson Registered

Well, we know that Arnim Zola and a bunch of other former Nazi scientists were recruited by the US to join SHIELD shortly after the end of the war. And of course, Zola and the others then re-founded HYDRA as a fifth column inside SHIELD.

Given that Bucky's fall happened before the end of the war, its probable that Zola got to work on him as soon as he joined SHIELD (late 1945 or early 1946). The actual procedure of giving Bucky a super-soldier serum and a metal arm probably didn't take long, and the mind-control shouldn't have been much of an issue either, given that Zola had already been experimenting on Bucky several years earlier, when he was captured in Italy.

So, in other words, its plausible that The Winter Soldier could have been a fully functioning combat asset for Hydra by at least mid-1946. And given his extraordinary skill, brutality and efficiency, its not surprising that word would quickly spread about this seemingly unstoppable super-assassin. So therefore, the idea that by 1951 he would be known among troops serving in Korea doesn't seem too far-fetched to me IMO.

Shuri likes this.
  19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

They’ve already got so many shows lined up and are even green lighting shows for supporting characters we haven’t met yet like Echo, so anything’s possible. I think something like this could be quite unique and seriously awesome too. :up:

20. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Loved this episode. It just gets better and better and it had a few moments that really hit me. The scene with Isaiah was powerful and tragic. Sadly, if such a super soldier program actually existed, especially back then, that is probably how things would have worked out for a Black hero.

And Bucky’s moment where he says to Sam “if Steve was wrong about you, then maybe he was wrong about me” was such a good moment. You really got insight into how much Bucky’s past is tearing him up and impacts everything he does.

I also like the way they are going with Walker and Hoskins. I hope they don’t turn them into villains and I’m glad they don’t seem to be going that route. It’s much more interesting (and more fun) to see them trying to work with Sam and Bucky and piss them off haha.

As for the Power Broker... that IS interesting indeed, and it seems pretty clear that our heroes will be teaming up with the Flag Smashers eventually to take him (or her) down. As for who this broker might be... maybe that psychiatrist? They keep referencing her military past; there may be something there. She does seem a little too interested in Sam and Buck and she has a connection to Walker.

Lastly, I’m wonder how Zemo fits into this in the broader sense. I can’t imagine Sam and Buck will break him out of jail but maybe he pulls some sort of Hannibal Lector type of breakout towards the end by taking advantage of circumstances.

21. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Starring Carl Lumby still? I'm guessing we'll get a flashback because he was in old age makeup here and what would be the point of that and not casting someone who genuinely looked older if they weren't going to show him as he is without the makeup?

22. wwkirk Registered

Carl is 69. If they do create a series centered around a black super soldier from the 50s, they'll definitely need another actor.

Unless I didn't get what you meant.

Iceman likes this.
  23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, I don’t think I followed Raven’s post. Surely they’d need someone younger for the flashbacks unless they use that de-aging technology.

24. Donner Formerly Elektra1 (she/her/hers)

There's a video of a fan asking one of the writers if Bucky mentioning tiger pictures means he's bisexual and the writer said he wasn't going to go down that rabbit hole :funny:

Speaking of love interests, I hope they keep that out of this show. I would especially hate Sharon being reduced to a love interest for either character. The show should focus on what it has been focusing on: Steve's legacy, Sam's internal conflict with the shield, Bucky's trauma, and the issues Bucky and Sam have with each other.

Shuri, Schlosser85 and Iceman like this.
  25. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

Pardon my ignorance, but how do tiger pictures relate to bisexuality?