Strange New Worlds SEASON 1, EPISODE 2: "Children of the Comet" (SPOILERS)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
9Us3vJc.gif

Episode synopsis:
While on a survey mission, the U.S.S. Enterprise discovers a comet is going to strike an inhabited planet. They try to re-route the comet, only to find that an ancient alien relic buried on the comet’s icy surface is somehow stopping them. As the away team try to unlock the relic’s secrets, Pike and Number One deal with a group of zealots who want to prevent the U.S.S. Enterprise from interfering.
Discuss the 2nd episode of Strange New Worlds here.

While on a survey mission, the U.S.S. Enterprise discovers a comet is going to strike an inhabited planet. They try to re-route the comet, only to find that an ancient alien relic buried on the comet’s icy surface is somehow stopping them. As the away team try to unlock the relic’s secrets, Pike and Number One deal with a group of zealots who want to prevent the U.S.S. Enterprise from interfering.

Oh those zany Evangelicals and their apocalypse fantasies.

I love waiting for Crave to put the episode online. Sometimes it's 3am, sometimes it's 9pm the next day. Depends on the show, or the day of the week, or the current phase of the moon. Crave is out of its ****ing mind.

It keeps telling me that I need to watch episode 3 of the first season of Billions. I didn't watch the first two, Crave!

I love waiting for Crave to put the episode online. Sometimes it's 3am, sometimes it's 9pm the next day. Depends on the show, or the day of the week, or the current phase of the moon. Crave is out of its ****ing mind.

It keeps telling me that I need to watch episode 3 of the first season of Billions. I didn't watch the first two, Crave!
Crave has seen there is no point competing with Netflix, Amazon, and Disney. Instead, they decided to make their mark by being the least functional major streaming service in North America.

Paramount+ isn't much better down here. Disney+ and Netflix are always on time. Hell, Disney+ is early most days now. But Paramount+? Crap shoot. Hoping the episode is up at midnight, PST.

Watching on Crave makes me feel like Jerry West from Winning Time. Just an endless string of profanities and self-doubt.

Watching on Crave makes me feel like Jerry West from Winning Time. Just an endless string of profanities and self-doubt.
And like the real Jerry West, you should be suing over the painful experience of having to watch it. :o

Another pretty great episode. Right off the bat, the show is doing a pretty stellar job at establishing the camaraderie between the crew, and giving us moments that establish the relationships between the various characters. Obviously a big standout of the episode was the Spock/Uhura dynamic, but it was also nice to see Chapel have her moment with Spock, and Ortegas' prank with Uhura. It feels like the crew is becoming a family, which I'm assuming is going to play a big part in convincing Uhura to remain with Starfleet and stay aboard the Enterprise.

The conflict in the episode was pretty classic Star Trek. The crew manage to pull off a miraculous feat and save the day, but then find out that there is still a great deal they don't understand. With a show that's more episodic in nature, I can't really expect this alien race or the mysterious comets to make a return, but I'll always appreciate an episode ending with just a hint of further mystery. Even if that mystery is never resolved. It just reinforces the idea that there's always more to explore and discover, which is the heart of the show.

Two episodes in, and I pretty much love the entire cast. I can't say there's been a single weak point so far. Hemmer is a fun new introduction, and I like the callback to Enterprise (the show). The Aenar were an interesting concept to add to the Andorian culture, and it's nice to see it brought back. We haven't really gotten much about the Andorians at all outside of Enterprise, and it's always cool to see their culture explored. Him and Spock having a bit of a telepathic bonding moment was fun.

So yeah, good stuff. It's all real pretty too.

It would be prettier if it wasn't on Crave.

Yeah, I really liked that again. It felt very classic Trek, and again, while it presents a dire situation, it never makes the show feel dire. Pike has his solemn moments, but on the bridge, he's just so laid back. Uhura was a beam of sunshine, and La'an, the straight laced one, is every bit as fun and engaging. I just wished she has sung! :argh:

Two things that made me oddly laugh this episode. When they first arrived on the comet, all I could see was Prometheus, followed by the first trailer for Mass Effect Andromeda. The scene looked ripped right from those two. Which honestly, was incredibly impressive. Neither of those looked cheap in the least.

Also, if Chapel's entire thing is going to be her being absolutely adorable every episode, she's going to murder me with that smile. :o

Yeah, I really liked that again. It felt very classic Trek, and again, while it presents a dire situation, it never makes the show feel dire. Pike has his solemn moments, but on the bridge, he's just so laid back. Uhura was a beam of sunshine, and La'an, the straight laced one, is every bit as fun and engaging. I just wished she has sung! :argh:

Two things that made me oddly laugh this episode. When they first arrived on the comet, all I could see was Prometheus, followed by the first trailer for Mass Effect Andromeda. The scene looked ripped right from those two. Which honestly, was incredibly impressive. Neither of those looked cheap in the least.

Also, if Chapel's entire thing is going to be her being absolutely adorable every episode, she's going to murder me with that smile. :o

I did particularly like the scene of the Enterprise flying through the comet's wake, with the debris bouncing off the ship's shields. I imagine it would have been far easier from an FX standpoint to just have the ship make it through without a scratch, but they made it dirtier and messier, which made it feel more real. It's nice attention to detail.

Pike's hair deserves it's own billing. I wonder if it's insured.
It really is impressive. I noticed it no less then three times last night. :funny:

Also, I cracked up at his obvious, "throw yourself like the ship's been hit" moment. It was so perfect goofy. :hehe:

I did particularly like the scene of the Enterprise flying through the comet's wake, with the debris bouncing off the ship's shields. I imagine it would have been far easier from an FX standpoint to just have the ship make it through without a scratch, but they made it dirtier and messier, which made it feel more real. It's nice attention to detail.
It was really impressive. I have no idea how much this show costs, but they are using every single penny wisely. It's a real visual joy.

I enjoyed the premiere enough, but I flat out loved this episode. As others have already said the banter between the cast and the overall upbeat/hopeful tone of the show so far is really what I'm loving about the most not to mention just how cinematic and gorgeous it looks, especially during that action sequence towards the end.

This episode really made me feel endeared to uhura's character although it also helps that the actress is so likable and relatable and I'm even starting to warm up more to Ethan Peck's Spock. Not that I didn't like him before, but it took me a bit to get a feel on this stern, stoic version of Spock.

Loved this, it's nice to have a new Trek show that isn't so focused on a season-long story arc, it has hints of a bigger story arc, but for the most part it was a self contained story that made sure that most of the ensemble had their character moments and something to do, which is something we haven't gotten much of on Discovery or Picard, and I hope this show stays this way. It was saddening to me when I was on season 2 of Discovery and realized I couldn't recall the names of half the bridge crew.

Last edited:
Just another bad episode that proves it not only doesn't know star trek, but also basic common sense. Like an open flame in the ship. I think I know what probably causes Pike's accident. That is a joke if you can't tell. Why do we need another tragic backstory? The crew is full of tragedy. I can only imagine what else we get from the other crew. Yeah this is the fun new show, lol.

As far as their mission, why does Uhura not have a Linquistic Officer accompany her on her missions? She is just a cadet and still learning. There should be a higher up in her field showing her the ropes. It would have been similar to what Sam was doing but actually someone in her field. You don't just send down an inexperienced cadet if you plan on making first contact.

This Spock is just badly written. Two episodes in and he is just emoting all over the place. They are making it seem like Spock is always like this. They need to pick and choose. There are only 10 episodes they should have saved any emotions for one episode, this would make it hit harder. Now it will just be another day with NotSpock. I am surprised Uhura didn't sing at the get together while Spock played his instrument, that was a missed opportunity, Oh wait they just saved the singing for the mission instead.
This number one doesn't really do much so far. I was hoping this show would be about the trio. Number One, Pike and Spock. They are wasting episodes with the lesser characters, this is a season 2 type of thing. I was thinking Uhura was going to have to learn how to speak to the Aliens, but the universal translator knows their language, so that was pointless. I can't believe Spock's heatshield. I also laughed out loud when Spock used the defibrillator on Sam's suit instead of removing the chest piece. I guess we just say "future" tech and forget about it. Oh and I also laughed at the alien ship right in front of the enterprise, I guess that is what happens when no one man's Spock's telescope thing.

I also am noticing lots of red shirts everywhere. They need to get some more extras or something. I remember when star trek would influence shows, now you have the orville influencing star trek. And not in a good way. They take the cheesy out of character parts of the orville and cram them into this show. Like when Pike says "I love this job", or "I like the mustache". Although I do find Pike and Sam's friendship more interesting. They mesh well together, just not the forced humor between the characters.

Really liked this episode too. Such a classic Trek episode.

Sidenote, I loved that Campea finally sort of put Rob in his place with his criticism of Star Trek and how Rob thinks everything should be like old Trek at the end of Thursday's show. I like Rob and could probably talk hours about all sorts of nerd stuff with him were I given the chance but he really does come off as old man yelling at clouds sometimes.

With a show that's more episodic in nature, I can't really expect this alien race or the mysterious comets to make a return, but I'll always appreciate an episode ending with just a hint of further mystery. Even if that mystery is never resolved.

I think we've already seen them. According to the Shepherd captain:
"For centuries, we have protected the arbiters as they follow courses set long before our suns first burned in the sky, bringing life across the galaxy."
Sounds as if the comet is a leftover tool created by the ancient humanoids of TNG 6x20 "The Chase". Maybe the comet from TNG 7x17 "Masks" is another one, since Data only established a lower limit on its age.

For a while, Sam Kirk's almost-death had me thinking "So this is how they establish that the show isn't in the Prime timeline."

Another pretty great episode. Right off the bat, the show is doing a pretty stellar job at establishing the camaraderie between the crew, and giving us moments that establish the relationships between the various characters. Obviously a big standout of the episode was the Spock/Uhura dynamic, but it was also nice to see Chapel have her moment with Spock, and Ortegas' prank with Uhura. It feels like the crew is becoming a family, which I'm assuming is going to play a big part in convincing Uhura to remain with Starfleet and stay aboard the Enterprise.

The conflict in the episode was pretty classic Star Trek. The crew manage to pull off a miraculous feat and save the day, but then find out that there is still a great deal they don't understand. With a show that's more episodic in nature, I can't really expect this alien race or the mysterious comets to make a return, but I'll always appreciate an episode ending with just a hint of further mystery. Even if that mystery is never resolved. It just reinforces the idea that there's always more to explore and discover, which is the heart of the show.

Two episodes in, and I pretty much love the entire cast. I can't say there's been a single weak point so far. Hemmer is a fun new introduction, and I like the callback to Enterprise (the show). The Aenar were an interesting concept to add to the Andorian culture, and it's nice to see it brought back. We haven't really gotten much about the Andorians at all outside of Enterprise, and it's always cool to see their culture explored. Him and Spock having a bit of a telepathic bonding moment was fun.

So yeah, good stuff. It's all real pretty too.

It would be prettier if it wasn't on Crave.
Wonderful observation about the continuing mystery. That is an awesome point and definitely something I really liked here, even if I didn't put my finger on it.

I also really loved how the story was used as a vehicle for humanist themes about purpose and belonging. The structure in that way reminded me of Wrath of Khan. I really like how they are using that grow the characters from week to week while maintaining the adventure of the week format of the classic series.

However, the show really needs a better title theme. It sounds too much like a remix and doesn't match the beautiful opening credits.

Wonderful observation about the continuing mystery. That is an awesome point and definitely something I really liked here, even if I didn't put my finger on it.

I also really loved how the story was used as a vehicle for humanist themes about purpose and belonging. The structure in that way reminded me of Wrath of Khan. I really like how they are using that grow the characters from week to week while maintaining the adventure of the week format of the classic series.

However, the show really needs a better title theme. It sounds too much like a remix and doesn't match the beautiful opening credits.

The theme's an interesting one. At first it sounded like one of those YouTube covers you'd see in your recommended feed because you listened to Forge from Infinity War one single time, but it's starting to grow on me. The theremin* at the end doesn't fit though, it feels awkward.

*I don't know if it's a theremin. I'm more surprised that I even know what a theremin is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"