Season 1, Episode 2 "Code of the Streets" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Discussion in 'Luke Cage' started by Kane52630, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Kane52630

Kane52630 Silver Shamrock User

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Loving Misty Knight in this. I knew [blackout]Pop was too pure for this world from the moment we met him[/blackout].

3. Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie Well-Known Member

Jamel Shabazz popping up in pops flashback was a nice touch. :up:

4. Pokkle

Pokkle Well-Known Member

A good episode 2.
    Nice to see Turk from Daredevil.
    Cottonmouth seems like he is going to be a really good villain.
    Pop was good, sad he left so soon.

5. BlueLanternKal

BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

I shed a single tear for [blackout]Pop[/blackout].

6. Slick

Slick Yup

Loving Cottonmouth so far. I like the theme of fathers and sons in this episode.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  7. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

Noo, Pop! Had a feeling he wouldn't make it, but wasn't expecting it so soon. The last scene with Luke and that kid was great, probably the best scene of the episode. The scene with Cottonmouth on the roof helped me see him as a good villain although, as of now, I'd put him behind Fisk and Kilgrave. I also thought, if they wanted to, this could have been a good episode to bring Jessica in to help Luke find Chico...I'm glad they didn't go down that route though.

Luke, Cottonmouth, Misty were awesome in this one and I'm actually really liking Misty's assistant, Scarfe.

8. Slick

Slick Yup

Yeah seeing Pops get shot was tough

9. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

That was a solid episode.

Why did Cottonmouth's bodyguard feel the need to shoot up the whole barber shop? He couldn't have just waited for Chico to walk outside? Or just follow the orders he was given?

10. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

Good episode and showcase of Cottonmouth, Misty and Rafael Scarfe.

11. BlueLanternKal

BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

Ambitious stupidity and chest thumping.

12. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

I meant to say this last time, but it's more appropriate here. They're really not shying away from the N-Word and I'm glad for that. I think it's very appropriate for this story and it's used effectively in the bookending scenes.

Some of the cultural things are hard for me to understand. I understood Shaft, but what was the other one? Kenyatta? Likewise, Pop's swear - "Gave you some..." I couldn't quite make out.

The scene with Chico showing up was great. You could cut the tension with a knife. I loved Turk this episode ("I'm going back to Hell's Kitchen where it's safe"). He was great. Ironically, he had a bit of old school Luke Cage with "I just want my money," although without the moral compass.

I love the Reform story with Pops. The point is that people who are young can change. So far the most sympathetic story to offenders and the cycle of recidivism is Ant-Man, so I'm glad to see this story address that. Unforately, I didn't think Pops would make it out of the season alive. I didn't expect it to be this early though. I'm glad that Cottonmouth Stokes didn't actually want to cross that line. I like that Cottonmouth has nothing to do with snakes. It's an interesting change of pace and helps with Diamondback. I also find Mariah to be pretty sympathetic.

Random notes: Misty Knight played Basketball at Temple. I mentioned I was a Basketball nerd. To add to that, I'm from Philly, so I hope they make it canon in the comics that she went there. I think this episode established that her partner is Scarfe, who I know pretty much only from Blood on the Streets. He seems fine here, but a bit uptight. I also like Mariah. She seems pretty sympathetic even if she's also pretty shady. I'd love to see her explored some more.

Overall, I'm going Five Stars. I'm on my fourth cocktail, so I'll try one more. Let's see if we can make two.

13. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

I love pops!

14. Johnny-Oh

Johnny-Oh "You got heart, kid"

I thought the first episode was 'just' good but this one was GREAT! It had better pacing, Luke is starting to get more proactive and a bunch of great scenes. Misty is probably my favorite character so far.

15. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Misty is a Baller!

Paul McGuigan bringing some of his Sherlock directing flair to Misty's crime scene breakdown.

I guess the Chicago lie was a nod to Cage Chicago years in the nineties comics and Atlanta is where Luke's father moved to live when he got remarried in the comics.

Cage doing some trademark leg work hunting down sources in the street.

Can you fly johnny?
    Scarfe is sort of Jim Gordon like in the the comics. Scarfe seems more sardonic in this show.

Turk is s such a cockroach. Turk should probably be dead by now five time over. :funny:

Walter Mosley who is the writer of the hard boiled black private investigator Easy Rawlins books got name checked. Mosley's Devil in a Blue Dress, was the basis of the 1995 movie starring Denzel Washington.

16. gohei_

gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

I seriously laughed at the scene where Turk just appears on the roof asking for his money :woot:

17. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

They were talking about writers and their protagonists in that scene. Donald Goines wrote a few books about a character named Kenyatta.

"Gave you some trim" Gave him access to her girly goodies, in other words. Though I never thought of "trim" as a curse word. If Cage didn't have to pay for "bullcrap" I don't see why Pop had to pay for that one, :hehe:

18. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

God damn.
    Pops!!!!!! :( got me right in the feels. And Colter': acting during that scene was great. The emotion, really got me shedding some tears. That scene was tough.

19. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Very good episode, better than the first.

20. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

"I'm Turk Barrett baby." :hyper:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  21. famicommander

famicommander Well-Known Member

why does
    the likeable, wise, old black man die in all of these Netflix series? Ben in Daredevil, Oscar Clemons in Jessica Jones, now Pop in Luke Cage

22. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

Turk Barrett is one of Marvel's most underrated creations.

23. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

when it comes to wise old black men only Samuel L.Jackson's Nick Fury can survive the MCU :o

24. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Well-Known Member

They surprised me with Shades. They hyped him up to be this ruthless dude (and I'm sure he'll probably deliver in the future), and he ended up showing more restraint and remorse about the whole thing with Pop as compared to Tone.

25. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

He knows the rules! He has an underlying ruthlessness though that I'm sure will come to the fore soon.