Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 2: "Summon the Suit" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
moon-knight-transformation.gif

Episode Synopsis:
With little time to react, Steven is thrust into a war of the gods as a mysterious partner arrives.
Discuss the 2nd episode of Moon Knight here.

I should point out, I know exactly zero about Moon Knight. So all of this is new to me. So I'm trying to figure out what is going on as I watch and my brother keeps trying to check things on his phone, and I keep slapping him, cause I kind of like not knowing. :hehe:

My total guess on Mr. Knight, was that each personality or person (I'm not sure if this DID or not) inside the host body has their own version of the suit. I guess that isn't right.

The suits themselves, look great imo. Wasn't expecting that after the trailers, but they look nice.

I should point out, I know exactly zero about Moon Knight. So all of this is new to me. So I'm trying to figure out what is going on as I watch and my brother keeps trying to check things on his phone, and I keep slapping him, cause I kind of like not knowing. :hehe:

My total guess on Mr. Knight, was that each personality or person (I'm not sure if this DID or not) inside the host body has their own version of the suit. I guess that isn't right.

The suits themselves, look great imo. Wasn't expecting that after the trailers, but they look nice.
I've only read a few of the comics myself, but what I've gathered is that Mr. Knight is like Moon Knight's street representative, who actually talks to people and questions sources, builds alliances, etc. He generally has a very suave and in-charge vibe from what I've seen. Not....what we just got here.

EDIT: Sorry, I totally missed the part where you said you like not knowing. :funny:

Last edited:
I’m really loving this series so far. It’s unlike anything we’ve seen from the MCU and I love the Egyptian mythology wrapped in it. It’s interesting how the suits work. Moon Knight is basically Marc in the robes and Mr. Knight is Steven in the suit. I was thinking Khonshu takes over both versions but it doesn’t seem like it.

Moon Knight's split personalities/dissociative identity disorder is something of a retcon or reboot from the turn of the century comics. In the earlier comics Moon Knight is Marc Spector and his alternate identities are just covers for his superhero identity. The suave millionaire identity or Steven Grant is like Bruce Wayne and the Taxi Cab driving blue collar identity of Jake Lockely is like Matches Malone.

Khonshu being real or something Marc Spector hallucinates is a long running thing in the comics.

The show takes a departure from the comics by telling the story primarily from the perspective of the Steven Grant personality who is a British Museum worker rather than a suave rich businessman.

Since Marvel doesn't seem interested in exploring Bruce Banner aka the Hulk's dissociative identity disorder it makes sense to explore Moon Knight's condition

I liked episode 2. Isaac is still killing it but I'm fascinated by Khonshu. The CGI could be better but he still looks terrifying and F. Murray Abraham gives a very commanding vocal performance.

I’m really loving this series so far. It’s unlike anything we’ve seen from the MCU and I love the Egyptian mythology wrapped in it. It’s interesting how the suits work. Moon Knight is basically Marc in the robes and Mr. Knight is Steven in the suit. I was thinking Khonshu takes over both versions but it doesn’t seem like it.

I like the fact that the series isn't as connected to everything else. Now eventually, Marc will interact with others in the MCU, but for now, I like the fact that it's not connected. It's one of the reasons I like Loki so much.

I like the fact that the series isn't as connected to everything else. Now eventually, Marc will interact with others in the MCU, but for now, I like the fact that it's not connected. It's one of the reasons I like Loki so much.
Loki doesn't interact with anyone in his show but it's very much connected to the greater MCU. It's like the opposite of Moon Knight.

Loki doesn't interact with anyone in his show but it's very much connected to the greater MCU. It's like the opposite of Moon Knight.

it is but I love how they showed the appearances of the rest of the MCU in a very clever way: by the TVA having basically footage of the rest of the MCU and allowing Loki to show what's happened since and what was ahead for his character. I absolutely loved how that was done. That is what I meant by the show not connecting. It doesn't need any previous storylines to be the main basis for the story. It has it's own set story and actually moves the MCU forward.

John Campea just had his review of episode two: He loved episode two better than episode one and he loved episode one.

Steven remains the poor pitiable schlimazel. I wonder if it will turn out that. . . basically, after the original personality, which I will call "MK" for lack of a better term, fragmented, 'Steven' is basically the kind of person 'MK' would like to be. Thus, 'Steven' is just an ordinary guy with a passion for history and books, and nothing that would make him have to deal or be weird. 'Marc' by contrast is all the spy and adventurer skills that would make for an abnormal life, nicely split off into a person who can be just that.

The problem is that, in disassociating all the life experiences and personality traits and skills that are related to weird and dangerous stuff into 'Marc', the result was a 'Steven' who might *want* to live a normal life, but has a really hard time doing so. He's too segregated basically, with 'Marc' having claimed too much of the abilities that would let 'Steven' live that life. Maybe 'MK' would like to just be a museum curator or professor, but as is, 'Steven' lacks the social skills or confidence to be more than a gift shop clerk, because those skills are claimed by 'Marc' ( because he needs them, or because they are too closely connected to the life 'Steven' is being protected from remembering ).

Oh, and I'd bet that we will soon see how 'Marc' is not all that much better off. Yes, he might seem cool and collected and capable, but it will probably turn out that 'Marc' is not capable of living a healthy life on his own, either. He's just the mission, and the mission, and otherwise is a dude who'd otherwise spent an awful lot of time just resting on a bunk in a storage unit.

Liking the show so far. CGi a bit wonky at times, but overall I'm interested.
I still maintain this should've been a movie. That character deserves the big screen treatment.

Doesn't feel like we've got to the meat of the show yet but still enjoying this after 2 episodes. Oscar Isaac is a big part of that.

Episode was ok, but god are the special effects awful. Of course we wouldn’t have had such long 6h story, if they‘ve made a movie instead…but the effects would’ve looked much better with a movie budget. This doesn’t do the story and hero justice and makes me really sad and angry.
I hope his next appearance will be within a big budget movie - then the suit will probably look more real and not so much like cgi a la year 2006
That being said, I like the story and characters

Also... without Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke this would be very very inferior.

I'm curious to see if we'll see Steven grow any closer to either comic Steven or comic Mr. Knight over time. He's just starting to get involved with Marc, Khonshu, Moon Knight and all that for the first time now. But now that the cat's out of the bag, he might have to become more confident and take on some role in the operation of Moon Knight.

I don't think he'll become a milllionaire, but perhaps he could get some new source of income and handle Moon Knight's finances going forward, he was the one with a normal job after all.

Making Moon Knight and Mr. Knight just be Marc and Steven in the suit respectively does leave me to wonder how they'll deal with Jake, if he's even part of this at all. In the comics Mr Knight seems on the one hand more fancy, more suave, wearing a nice suit, driving a limo, etc. which fits more with comics Steven (but not so much MCU Steven), while his job of working with police and doing more investigative detective work feels like it fits more with Jake. If here Steven is Mr. Knight, how would Jake use the MK suit ability? What would he look like? And what role will Steven and Jake fill? I think Steven could become a somewhat decent Mr. Knight if he goes through a lot of development: we've been shown that while he's a bit of a wimp and a klutz, Steven is also well-read, studious, has an eye for detail and likes puzzle solving. Perhaps with more experience under his belt he could start to operate as more of an investigator type as opposed to Marc being the mercenary who deals with the action and only has his eye on the mission. But then if Steven is doing investigation and puzzle solving, what's left to do for Jake who usually gathers information and does detective work? Or alternatively if Mr. Knight won't do Jake's detective work, what will he do? I guess they could split it so Steven has book smarts but lacks social skills and Jake is good at socializing and has street smarts so he can deal with people, but isn't as bright when it comes to academics and such?

Last edited:
Enjoying what I am seeing, not sure whats going on all the time and some of the effects are, well yeah, bad but its certainly an interesting take on a character and very different from what we have seen before. The best thing is it feels very much like its own thing and no forced "connections" to other parts of the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"