Season 1, Episode 3 "AKA It's Called Whiskey" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Discussion in 'Jessica Jones' started by Pwoper Nereguar, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Pwoper Nereguar

Pwoper Nereguar Registered

[​IMG]

A Reminder That This Thread Is Only To Discuss Episode 3: AKA It's Called Whiskey

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

#1 Pwoper Nereguar, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

It would seem Trish has a ways to go before being Hellcat-ready.

Also, I'm definitely invested in this Jessica/Luke relationship already.

3. First Avenger

First Avenger Registered

Strange that Luke mentions the Avengers but not Daredevil.

4. Ghostcrow13

Ghostcrow13 Registered

First I don't get why he couldn't just call them the Avengers, I know it's a minor thing, but they always seem to try and side step a direct reference, 'the green dude and his crew' just a weird way to describe what would be the most famous people on the planet.

Also I guess in regards to no DD mention in that bit, I mean he's just regarded as a masked vigilante right with not really any signs of powers known to the public.

5. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

I don't think that's a weird way to describe them, especially coming from someone with the personality of Luke Cage.

6. Ghostcrow13

Ghostcrow13 Registered

I guess not if you think of it in those terms. However i still feel like it's just a bit of a side step of saying the actual Avengers name. Someone on the radio says 'those guys' as well later when referring to them.

7. First Avenger

First Avenger Registered

I guess that's right.

8. thanson

thanson Registered

Anyone know the actress playing Reva Connors?

9. Speed Force

Speed Force Hope, help and compassion

Definitely the best episode so far. The Avengers references were nice little throw ins

10. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

Loved hearing Cage's catchphrase

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

When you find out the reason Jessica Jones is really surveilling Luke Cage. Oh boy.

12. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

The Netflix stuff has a habit of referencing the films, but not just saying the names. Like in DD, the Chitauri Invasion/Battle of NY is just called "The Incident."

13. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

EPISODE 3: AKA IT'S CALLED WHISKEY
    This episode really kicked into high gear, with Kilgrave stepping out of the shadows to become a present, active threat and the conflict escalating and drawing in more people as a result. And I'm really loving the dynamic between Jessica and Luke, not least because it seems they rarely have a conversation that doesn't end in wall-cracking, bed-breaking sex: seriously, if DAREDEVIL pushed the Marvel envelope for violence, this does it for sexuality, it feels kinda weird to have seen Luke Cage's O-face so often. I also enjoyed how their conversations hint at their comic origins remaining accurate, and also giving mention to the wider Marvel universe for the first time, and there's also another element of tragedy and pain introduced and now waiting to be fully revealed. I was also impressed with how Trish Walker's character stepped up a bit here too. This show is coming together very nicely.

14. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

That was one of my favourite moments so far!

15. sabetoonth

sabetoonth Where You Get Those Eyes?

Just finished it, starting 4. But man this was my favorite episde so far. Luke/Jess, and now we've gotten a good look at Kilgrave and everything else.

16. Harry_Lime02

Harry_Lime02 This is the girl

Luke and Jessica have gotta be the horniest superheroes ever.

17. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

The sex scenes :wow:

18. Golgo-13

Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

"There's the big Green guy and his gang"…

19. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Episode three. AKA Oh My God, I Can't Take the Suspense Anymore. AKA You know, technically, anesthesia isn't necessarily all that safe to randomly inject into people.

This episode started off with superhero sex, which is apparently bad for beds and building foundations. Last time, I was about to say that the upstairs neighbors were kinda annoying. However, the "my sister thinks you're too loud" moment was golden, so all is forgiven. Plus, Luke Cage said Sweet Christmas. That's great by itself. I also like Trish Walker more and more. With her training, you clearly see shades of Hellcat. Plus, you have the fan saying he misses her red hair and you have Killgrave calling her Patsy. What's not to like?

The other big moment is the fights. These aren't the brawlers of Daredevil. Jessica Jones clearly overmatches everyone physically. It's the idea of sending everyone to someone. This is how Killgrave should be (in the comics, it comes off far more campy. Here, it's just intense).

Five Stars. That being said, this show can be emotionally draining. I seriously have to drink more just to deal with the stress of Killgrave.

20. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I am WAY too excited as an adult to [BLACKOUT]have actually seen a live action version of Luke Cage say "Sweet Christmas".[/BLACKOUT]

21. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Under the most awesome circumstances, too ;)

22. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

This episode seemed to be a lot about moral gray areas of Jessica's world and the other characters. Patsy thinks she's taking a stand and it backfires. Jessica uses a poor lost soul to further her attempt to take out Killgrave. Moss' character is ice cold in trying to get Jessica to come forward herself by using Hope's angst against our protagonist. I've never thought of Tenant's voice as being all that menacing but oh my... He's doing a great job as an arrogant and crazed creep.

On another note, the presentation of powers so far has been good. I hate "power build up moments" that we get too often with Super Hero adaptations. Here it has mostly been done matter of fact like. That said, I think we had our first inconsistent moment for the sake of drama this episode. [BLACKOUT]Sorry but given what we have seen of Jessica so far the family that Killgrave left behind to thwart her... She really should have just walked through them. Hell, she should have been able to take one swing from that baseball bat easy and choke that kid out just with her hands. Perhaps a nitpick but I get enough power inconsistency with the FLASH each week right now.[/BLACKOUT]

As for the BIG reveal of the episode...

[BLACKOUT]I actually don't know what to think about Jessica having killed Luke's wife. This seems a little over the line. It's WAY coincidental. Sorry but I just feel it is. Also, there didn't seem to be any indication about Jessica knowing this beforehand so... Yeah this was the one moment so far that felt like the show had struck a false note. I'm also not sure what they implied with the end... That Luke was the one to be taking pictures of her, or... A little unclear. But... It is a mystery show so what ya gonna do?[/BLACKOUT]

I guess I could say that the show is having a little too much fun with the sex stuff but, it's not so much having it in so much as hitting us over the head with it since the first episode.

23. PacificBoy

PacificBoy Registered

I like the reverse terminator dynamic in this episode. The indefatigable mind-controlled human drones who can be stopped by regular means, against a vulnerable superpowered prey who knows those pursuing her are innocent and shows restraint -- when restraint is especially hard because she can break regular people that easily.

24. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

The most thrilling episode so far. Also the funniest.

25. samsnee

samsnee Ok

I knew Patsy was in trouble just because she was wearing a purple sweater. When you see purple, you know it's not good.