Black Lightning Season 1, Episode 3-"Lawanda: The Book of Burial"

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
"Lawanda: The Book of Burial" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

HOLDING OUT HOPE - As Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) tries to determine if the community can survive without the help of Black Lightning (Cress Williams), Anissa (Nafessa Williams) starts to come into her own. Meanwhile, Jefferson and Lynn (Christine Adams) try and figure out their new dynamic. Finally, Jennifer (China Anne McClain) reveals to her parents that she has been grappling with something big. James Remar, Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star. The episode was written by Jan Nash and directed by Mark Tonderai (#103). Original airdate 1/30/2018

Read more: Listings - BLACK LIGHTNING on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20180111cw04/#ixzz554piyrTy

What's the big thing that Jennifer has been grappling with? Is she discovering powers too? What other big thing could it be?

She's learning.

James Remar even looks a lot like how Alfred did in Dawn of Justice.

tumblr_inline_or6tj0MK9e1s50qig_540.gif

Wait....the comics exist in their universe? So what the **** does this mean?

I know in the first episode there is a reference on a news show about other superheroes, so I wonder if Grace was talking about comic Supergirl, or the real Supergirl. Keeping in mind that Berlanti did say this was not in the same universe as the other CW shows...

Yeah, I must've missed the Supergirl name drop. Was it when Grace was showing that Outsiders comic?

Yeah, I must've missed the Supergirl name drop. Was it when Grace was showing that Outsiders comic?

Yes, but it was in reference to costumes for a cosplay party.

That dinner scene was great!!:woot:

LOL "The Talk" was a funny scene.

Nafessa absolutely killing that catsuit.

Last edited:
And there's the V word about Black Lightning being a vigilante and the public being divided on him. You know, Jefferson and Oliver Queen could have a good, long chat about that.

I'm liking from what we've seen of Grace thus far but its weird that they kind of went the opposite route with her looks. and what looks like characterization. But Im interested to see more of her.

Who is Grace supposed to be?

Grace....is Grace lol. She doesnt have a code name. But she is a very tall, very muscular, tatted up, very badass Amazon. More on the tomboy side.
50rzh9k.jpg

I know in the first episode there is a reference on a news show about other superheroes, so I wonder if Grace was talking about comic Supergirl, or the real Supergirl. Keeping in mind that Berlanti did say this was not in the same universe as the other CW shows...

Yeah that was confusing. I am going to say that Supergirl is suppose to be a comic character in this show...though we know metas exist in this world...just confusing.

She's supposed to be Korean, but I guess Asian is Asian. :o

Another great episode! It's fun watching the family dynamic between Jefferson and his daughters, and Grace seems like she could be a fun character! Favourite moment was the talk at the school between Jefferson and that kid!

Also, Gambi removing footage of Tobias at the March? Do you think he did it to protect Jefferson or could he be a villain? Either way, it'll blow up in his face!

Honestly, I'm enjoying the family stuff more than the superhero stuff in this one. The family dinner was hilarious, as was Jefferson's talk with the boyfriend.

My guess is that they haven't decided what Earth this show is set on yet. So either Supergirl might just be a comic book character here (they've referenced Marvel heroes on the CW shows before after all), or perhaps the two shows are on the same Earth, OR it's a different Supergirl.

Awesome show. I love that they don't fall into the same troupes as many of the other CW shows.

Grace....is Grace lol. She doesnt have a code name. But she is a very tall, very muscular, tatted up, very badass Amazon. More on the tomboy side.
50rzh9k.jpg

Yeah that was confusing. I am going to say that Supergirl is suppose to be a comic character in this show...though we know metas exist in this world...just confusing.

She was also Anissa's GF in the comics as well.

I'm really loving this show! Maybe its just me but this show feels so different, and I'm loving it!

I really liked Grace and I honestly prefer this version over the comic one. I hope they showcase her powers soon and we eventually see her and Thunder form the actual Outsiders!

I like Tobias' boss. And the personal scenes were great. The family dinner was hilarious.

I liked how the death of a character (Lawanda) actually had some effect on the story beyond the episode that featured her. Though I wish we saw something about her daughter.

That church scene and the talk of pastors, reverends, etc. being pretty rich was great.

The sex talk at dinner and at school were funny. Too bad about Khalil though.

I laughed at how Anissa's breakup was dismissed as not a big deal since she didn't seem to be into the girl that much.

Whale acting like the Grinch cracked me up. His like about people wanting to go to Heaven but not die was great.

Gambi deleting the pic of Whale should be interesting.

Lady Eve...:mnm:

Why did Alfred delete the footage? Is it of Tobias or the woman who shot? Maybe she will turn out to be his daughter.

And why can't Thunder tell her family about her powers? Why would they be more freaked out about that than her revealing she was a lesbian? How long are they going to keep it up that she doesn't know her father is black lighting and he doesn't know she's thunder?

They're mentioning the outsiders again after the reference on arrow last week. Maybe in this world everyone is just a comic character including Supergirl. I hope not though. I'd like a crossover eventually.

But in Marvel comics the fantastic four comic existed and was a retelling of the FF's actual adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"