Season 1, Episode 3 "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Discussion in 'Iron Fist' started by Kane52630, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

[​IMG]
    Episode 3: Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch

2. Leo Zelinsky

Leo Zelinsky Mutie

Danny's father really saved him.

The whole hire young and pay them double instilling loyalty.

Hogarth stayed loyal for 15 years

3. Dasher10

Dasher10 I'm like Deadpool IRL

That was a really underwhelming fight scene. Too many takes. Better than episode 2 which was a painful hour of TV.

4. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

Already liking Hogarth in this more than in Jessica Jones

5. Slick

Slick Yup

Yeah I think it's because she maybe cares for Danny and his family. She respected his father.

6. AlluAllu

AlluAllu Well-Known Member

Yeah, Carrie-Anne Moss is really good. Hogarth might also be better person now. She was actually pretty horrible in JJ, but at the end of that show she seemed to rethink her life choices.

7. Mister J

Mister J Ack Acka Dak Dak Daka Ack

I'm liking Colleen's screen time more than anything else.

Daddy Meachum's scenes (particularly with Meachum Jr.) are reminding me of the Osborn dynamic in Amazing Spider-Man 2. I could do without.

Decent fight scenes overall, but how does that one guy get the drop on Danny? :confused: :funny:

8. legendkillin

legendkillin Well-Known Member

I liked the Jessica Jones connection.

I thought the episode was okay, I actually liked episode 2 more but I liked this one more than ep1.

9. legendkillin

legendkillin Well-Known Member

Well her woman got Kilgraved in front of her so yeah. She became more open minded.

10. Pokkle

Pokkle Well-Known Member

I'm liking it so far.
    I really like Danny so far, Colleen is cool too.
    It seems that Harold is kept hostage by Madama Gao and the Hand, forced to do their bidding.
    And nice to see Hogarth

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  11. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

I keep liking it, so far. This episode was certainly a bit slower, and I think it's showing the good idea of having Colleen as one of the main characters because the [BLACKOUT]underground MMA fight scene was great.[/BLACKOUT] Danny's plot is slower paced, so having her kick ass to fill the void is smart. I liked that it wasn't an easy fight, as well. I'm sure some people will be bothered, but I think it's helping the subplot that Danny alluded to that she has more potential, for as badass as she is.

I think this episode is an example of how a good storyteller could overdo it a little. You want to make things clear for people, and one of those things is clearly how the [BLACKOUT]Meechum's are basically going to war with Danny over his birthright. It was important, though, to see Joy had a united front with Ward. Outright telling Danny that he's not wanted there, and that he's not family.[/BLACKOUT] Hogarth, as always, is awesome.

I think they laid it a little thick, the Meechum's trying to bury Danny's chance at taking his place in the company. But, it did lead to that great scene with Hogarth and them in the boardroom. It was a still a good episode.

Wow, yeah. That's right. Good point. Meechum said he got that from Rand. And it ****ing paid off, because she saved his ass.

12. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

Hogarth is great.

13. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

Normally, I make it four episodes before calling it a night. This night I made three. I'm not sure that's a commentary on the quality so much as just being tired (also, Midori is ridiculously sweet). Colleen Wing is the highlight of this episode. Her fight in the beginning, why she runs the dojo, and the scenes with street fighting are all highlights. The show needs her to be a good character and I think we're seeing her come into her own.

It's also good to see Hoggarth and to finally get all this identity thing over with. It's fascinating how you would prove identity, but it's not exactly compelling television. I do like that we see some of Hoggarth's human side with her maintaining the gravestones.

Three and a Half here. I might just have been too tired.

14. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

Nice to finally get some answers regarding Harold faking his death. [BLACKOUT]Tying it in with the Hand is a nice bit of continuity. And I’m glad they’re starting to give the characters some depth. Jerry’s getting some layers to him which is good, I was getting tired of his almost cartoonish evilness. The actor’s actually got some skill, too; couldn’t tell before from the material he was given. And while Joy keeps protesting about what they’re doing to Danny, it seems as if she loves the lifestyle and the power too much to stop. Glad to see some friction there, that she’s not 100% on Danny’s side.

It was a nice touch to bring in Carrie-Anne Moss. It’s the first time I’ve actually liked her character and felt like she was well written. I feel like she should’ve brought some co-chairs to the meeting, though.

Not sure about Colleen fighting for money. It seems as if she did it to pay bills, but it feels like too much of a turnabout from what she said earlier without any hesitation or inner conflict. Hopefully that’s addressed later.[/BLACKOUT]

Still some problems, though. The meet-cute in the file room was a little silly, and the editing during the fight was obnoxious. Far too many quick cuts than necessary. As others have said, a martial arts show like this should’ve had long, steady takes so you could appreciate the choreography and the skill of the performers. Doing it with quick cuts and shaky cam is just lazy.

[BLACKOUT]And Danny’s unsubtle (and frankly ridiculous) eavesdropping and tailing of Jerry was just dumb. As was his scaling up the side of the building. Guess I’ll find out next episode if he actually say Harold and who pushed him.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  15. Sundancer

Sundancer Cynicist

Okay, one thing I'm lost on

Danny's finger prints. I now they were going to use the bowl and pull a print off it. Didn't' they say in prev. episode that he never had fingerprints taken? What were they going to match it against? If fingerprints were on file why didn't he prove his identity beforehand that way

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. Mike Murdock

They can compare the fingerprint baked into the clay to his current fingerprints. The one in the clay clearly belonged to a child so they knew it wasn't a recent fabrication.

17. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

[BLACKOUT]He left a fingerprint in the clay as a child when he made it, which they can compare to his adult fingerprint.[/BLACKOUT]

18. DorkyFresh

DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

I found that kind of weaksauce. [BLACKOUT]The defense could easily explain that they hired an expert sculptor to forge the fingerprint...and they should have actually brought that up in the show, only for Hogarth to tell them that they've already taken a sample of the clay and scientific analysis dates the creation of the bowl to (insert appropriate year). That would've made it irrefutable (at least for tv).[/BLACKOUT]

This series has been a drag. But hey at least the cage fight was decent (not great). Then again any competently shot and choreographed fight would look golden compared to what's been shown in this show so far.

19. Mike Murdock

That would be a damn good sculptor, especially when [blackout]Joy concedes in deposition that it was her bowl.[/blackout]

I think this might be a spoiler for future episodes, but episode four at the latest (it might be this episode, it's hard to keep straight):
    Besides, it's not like they instantly cave right then and there. They cave because Harold tells them to. The bowl was just ammunition for Hogarth and Danny.

20. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

It was weird seeing Hogarth being nicer.

21. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Dojo fight early in the episode reminds me of an unpopular funny scene from a certain movie based on a certain Marvel character. wink wink
    After her role in Jessica Jones I agree, what's shown here is more inline with her male comic counterpart though.

22. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I don't know, she still definitely had an edge. She was morally upright, but I think "nice" is stretching it. She came off, to me, as a wolf: loyal, honorable, and totally willing and ready to tear someone's throat out if called for.

23. ComicChick

ComicChick Hurricane-ing

just finished this one. I liked Hogarth here, and I also like that since she's since so much stuff in JJ, that when Danny easily answered her questions about proving who he was, she realized it was him, accepted it, and moved on. It pretty much took 2 episodes plus for the others to get on board with it, and they knew him much better and much longer lol.

the M&Ms thing (or was that in ep 2? i watched them back to back so I forget) was a funny touch to me because as a kid, I would only eat the yellow peanut M&Ms and always shared the others.

Colleen's my favorite so far. The underground fight club concerns me. She told the one boy that to fight for money is to do so without honor, but was she there because she was concerned for him and caught up in the moment, or was she there with the intent to get in the ring and make money? i dont really think it was the second option. i probably should've paid a little more attention. i like that she didn't easily win the fight though. it made it more believable to me.
    i was also nice to see her use her size and speed to her advantage. i get so tired of hearing people say that small women can't defend themselves or hold their own in a fight, and she clearly did (as does most of the marvel women)

i should note i know nothing about Iron First going into the show, but did Daddy Meachum actually die and has been resurrected? is that why he has to lay low? it's been 15 years and it looks like he hasn't aged a bit. Joy thinks him did, but Ward sees him regularly so I dunno.

24. Thome216

Thome216 Well-Known Member

Just started watching this one. Liking it so far. Better than JJ in my opinion, as this is a little more light-hearted rather than the continuous doom/gloom of JJ. I was unsure of Danny and if I would like him, but I am, so that's good. Also liking Colleen and Joy, though it was stupid of her to join that fight club, especially after telling her student not to.
    If she needs money, Danny offered to pay for his board while he was there. That would have been a lot better than dishonoring herself, using her own words.

Also liked Carrie Ann-Moss better in this than in JJ. since I'm not watching JJ I'll have to get the cheat notes from wiki.

25. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I really liked Hogarth in this.