Season 1 / Episode 4: What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?

Discussion in 'What If...?' started by HammerDown, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Bren Forevernoob

Very necessary comment, I'm sure. Thank you for helping me understand what was going on there. I stupidly thought it was just a grief-ridden guy doing stupid things to bring back the lady he loved.

Typhoon22 likes this.
  2. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

I assume it's a fixed point in this 1 specific universe and in the "sacred" timeline, Strange getting his hands mangled is a fixed point in that universe.

3. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

How does that work though? What causes it to become fixed? And wouldn't at least the rules for how new universes are created have to remain consistent for a multiverse to work?

Also wonder what set Strange of the path of looking for a cure to death. I can understand that as a man of hard science he went out looking for a cutting edge medical technology that may fix his hands and eventually in desperation look for alternative cures and finally be convinced by Jonathan Pangborn's story to try looking for Kamar-Taj. But I wonder what this man of hard science thought to find out about bringing his loved one back from the dead in science and what the equivalent story was that would convince him of Kamar-Taj. Did he find someone who was brought back from the dead there?

Bren likes this.
  4. Bren Forevernoob

I'm assuming yeah his motivation to go there was to learn how to change the past...

Good question about whether he found a story where someone was brought back (or even rumours of such an incident).
    Or maybe just that time travel can happen and he put one and one together.

5. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

I don't think there's really any rhyme or reason for fixed points. Since we have a multiverse of infinite universes, it could very well just be random.. Its like in Doctor Who, even though that show is all about time travel, there are certain events in history that cannot be changed whatsoever.

6. RiXi Registered

As short as it was, the Doctor Strange vs Sorcerer Armani fight was probably my favorite so far in the show.

7. fan4stic Registered

No. Race has nothing to do with someone acting on grief, arrogance, pain and anger, and doing what Strange does. That's a normal human problem. White, black, asian, middle eastern etc. the world is filled with people who think they have the right to play God, when they so obviously don't. I think it's ignoring basic human nature to say otherwise and is factually incorrect.

Typhoon22, Limonade and GREEN =w= DAY like this.
  8. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

At a certain point in the episode when Doctor Strange is absorbing the mystical creatures the Watcher contemplates intervening but he then states: “the fate of this universe is not worth risking the safety of all others”.

Later on when everything was doomed he confronted DS saying: “Honestly, if I could fix this, if I could punish you instead, I would. But I can't interfere. You, more than anyone else, should understand that meddling with time and events only leads to more destruction.”

It seems clear the Watcher will eventually interfere when the stakes are high enough and I bet he will recruit Evil Doctor Strange from his pocker dimension.

9. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

10. kguillou Registered

This was the first What If? Episode that has impressed me. This was phenomenal, very well done. I’d like to see more ballsy stories like this come from this show…or from the MCU in general. I enjoyed this more than the Dr Strange film.

11. Zyraquis Registered

Is it a new time travel concept? Here time travel could lead to universe ending paradox (saving Christine will prevent Strange from being a sorcerer in current timeline) whereas in MCU time travel leads to a new timeline (killing baby Thanos won’t prevent the snap in current timeline).

according to the MCU time travel rule, saving Christine will lead to a new timeline/branch whereas Strange won’t become a sorcerer but no impact on the current timeline whereas sorcerer Strange travels back in time to mess with another timeline. The Christine in his timeline is still dead thus no paradox.

#61 Zyraquis, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  12. Spikey Registered

This episode was basically an "homage" to The Time Machine movie... hell, it's basically the same plot. It's the same time travel concept

Dark Raven likes this.
  13. samsnee Ok

So the one change from the sacred timeline was Christine getting in the car?

14. Fosterson Registered

Hey, at least Wanda didn't end up destroying the whole universe... yet.

15. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

A bit more than that I'd say: In his movie they had already split up at the start. He did ask her to to go with him to to the dinner thing and she refused (he thought she was dating the incompetent surgeon). She even named her 'no dating colleagues' rule after him.

While we can say Strange did have feelings for her nothing suggested he'd go on an ends of the earth mystic quest if he ever lost her. And the way the first death/accident occurred he couldn't even blame himself.

For this story it seems they are still a couple and he is very much in love with her. Like Hope van Dyne being recruited by Shield off screen in the past for the previous episode, Strange & Christine's relationship was improved off screen in the past. Least that's the way I saw it at any rate.

samsnee and Bren like this.
  16. Zarex Registered

Terrific episode, with great visuals and all the actors - especially McAdams and Cumby - really knocking it out of the park. With her comedy chops Rachel is a fantastic fit for the MCU, so I'm really hoping Raimi gives her something to do in the sequel. I would love to see her turned into Tigra or something. My one quibble is I wish Uatu would stop with the " one change" spiel in his intro, since each timeline we've seen so far has multiple adjustments

#66 Zarex, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Dark Raven likes this.
  17. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Nice how even the oficial DS Twitter page also changed its name and image.

18. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Damn, that was dark. In terms of quality, this was the best episode so far. The animation, visuals, story, and acting were top notch.

Hopefully this is a glimpse of what to expect in Multiverse of Madness, especially with the monster/horror aspect. This is where Raimi excels at

Dark Raven and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  19. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Apparently...
    This story is more faithful to the comics in that tragedy has devastating effects.

Dark Raven likes this.
  20. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

The “anglerfish” sequence in this episode has to be one of the best things I’ve seen in this series so far. The way Doctor Strange Supreme tricks DS by appearing from the shadows and pulling DS into the “underworld” was sudden and scary.

21. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

[​IMG]

Lencho01 and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  22. Closerframe Registered

I’m really curious about the “time” hierarchy in the MCU/MCM because the Watcher is clearly observes the vast realities but cannot intervene. I know in the comics he’s assigned this role, but in this format, is he aware of the TVA or is he a part of the timelines themselves versus being independent? I wonder if Kang is aware of his existence.

23. Green Goblin Crawling on walls

24. Pennywise Registered

25. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

The fast and loose and unexplained in the light of Endgame's Time Travel rules issues not withstanding...

This was a fantastic episode, far better than it deserves to be and part of it was how less episodic cartoon it was and much more cinematic all around. The voice cast were all very much on point and the live action performers doing the voice work here added a lot.

This was very much, along with the previous ep, a real taste of what the What If...? Comics were, a mix between Twilight Zone and super heroes.

Cumberbatch's casting keeps paying off in this role.

Typhoon22 and Shinobi Shaw like this.