Season 1 / Episode 4: What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?

Discussion in 'What If...?' started by HammerDown, Aug 30, 2021.

1. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I'm...

I'm SEETHING with anger...

For not having come up with that myself.

2. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Stuff like that along with the use of montage and the editing in general really have this a cinematic sheen despite the run time and good but not great CGI animation.

The design of things like bonkers Strange and locations like the library also raised the level.

HammerDown, KaijuDude1992 and Iceman like this.
  3. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This was a very artistic episode. Really enjoyed it and glad that What If is prepared to do stuff like this.

4. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

That tells me that this Doctor Strange is gonna show up again.

5. Hannibal75 Registered

They have shown him in the trailer interacting with Captain Carter, so we are definitely going to see him again.

Iceman likes this.
  6. Pennywise Registered

7. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

And interacting with Thor as well.

Iceman likes this.
  8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Good. I want to see him again.

9. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

I mean possibly in live action.

10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This series is showing real variety if so.

11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Good. I want that too. :cwink:

12. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

This was the most classic type of What If episode so far with real echoes of the Twilight Zone, as it should be. In fact, even if it weren't a Marvel or Dr Strange story it would still be a classic Twilight Zone episode.

The tragedy at the end is exactly how it would be in the comics. I guessed that even if he did succeed in bringing her back she would think he was a monster and would be fearful of him and not want to be with him and that he'd be all alone in the end.

Probably the best episode so far.

#87 Dark Raven, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    KaijuDude1992, Iceman and Venom 1988 like this.
  13. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Rumors/Leaks for Doc Strange Sequel:

Given the talk about the MoM having a sort of Mutliversal Illuminati that includes some kind of varients of Monica Rambeu, Charles Xavier (Possible Fox-verse), an alt Thor or Baldur and the introduced in this show's Capt. Carter, I have to to start asking in light of this seeming MCU Multiverse Arc going on right now if What If...? hasn't been placed as a more key product than most understand, especially those that are so far dismissive of the show for whatever reason?

If anything it feels like the way this show was conceived it was looked at as springboard and companion piece for the MCU going forward right now.

While I don't think we could see Armani Strange in No Way Home, as some have already started to theorize, I'm now open to the idea that he'll show up in Multiverse Of Madness in some capacity seeing how if the leaks are true and Wanda is traveling the Multiverse on a mission to find some version of her children from her WandaVision fantasia which puts her at odds with both a version of the Illuminati and our own Doc Strange then honestly that version of Strange has a backstory not too dissimilar from Wanda's. As foe or allie including him in the story would not seem out of place and a natural progression to what the themse of this episode were.

Call me crazy.

Kane52630 and Iceman like this.
  14. First Avenger Registered

Hah! Feel free to use it if you want.

15. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If Dr Strange was always destined to try to go back and save Christine Palmer in this universe, then he would inevitably always end up causing the destruction of the universe. So maybe Christine Palmer being the absolute point to spur him onto becoming Dr Strange (in order to defeat Dormamu) wasn't such a good idea because it's also the catalyst for Strange turning evil and destroying all of reality.

Surely Strange could still have learned the mystic arts if he changed reality so that he merely lost the use of his hands? That was the way it happened in the Dr Strange movie, so Christine Palmer wasn't necessary to bring about his search for magic.

It's clear that if he lost his heart rather than his hands that this led to a course that was doomed from the start. If not for the Ancient One splitting Strange into two, then there would be no Strange that decided not to choose that evil path. And even with a good Strange, he was still overwhelmed by evil Strange.

#90 Dark Raven, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  16. Apollian Registered

the "sacred" timeline? it no longer exist thanks to female Loki. the fact that there are now multiple timelines, Palmer dying is a fixed point in time for that Universe. not ours.

17. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

That's what I just said lol. And I still call it it the sacred timeline for lack of a better term.

18. Typhoon22 The Golden God

Well, good job.

Now please do the same for DS2 Multiverse of Madness please.
    This should have been DS1, where his family should have been his pain into the awful person he became instead of brushing that part over. His little sister, brother etc. parents should have been a key part of his origin story, sadly they neglected that. It would have bumped up the story +1. I hope DS2 doesn't become just a multiverse bridge for other characters and movies to build on and can actually stand on its own as Doctor Stranges story. Already not a fan of having Wandas story be intervened here just hoping it's not a major issue. Really was hoping for Nightmare as a villain, forcing DS to relive his nightmares. The one they ignored in the 1st one.

Sam Raimis Oz movie was so bad, hopefully he can knock it out the park on this one.
    I'm not as confident as everyone else.

Needless to say, this 4th episode was the best episode by a mile. Heck, it's one of the very best Marvel has ever done. Never expected them to go this dark with it, that alone was a massive positive sign for me. Too bad they couldn't do that with the 1st one (still one of Marvels best, but a darker more story focused aspect could have elevated it as their best).

They've got a gem in Cumberbatch. Probably the best actor they have. And one who won't cause too much trouble for them, can keep a secret, amazing voice actor, isn't against doing theatre, TV stuff and just outright is incredibly versatile. Hope they can do his talent justice with his future showings. A bit worried with the sequel to Dr Strange.

19. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

On the topic of the time travel, if you think about the logic of it between Endgame to Loki and to this, it isn't consistent. So time works....however the story needs it to lol

KRYPTON INC. and Green Goblin like this.
  20. Pennywise Registered

21. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I feel like the part where DS sits on the passenger seat while she drives the car is not highlighted enough.
    At least to my eyes it felt like he was in so much pain and so desperate that he basically took her spot so that he could die and she could survive.

I don't know if that was the intention of the director but to me it felt like that. It makes things even more sad.

22. ComicChick I Work Too Much

the tentacle one reminded me of Agent Carter

Drizzle likes this.
  23. ComicChick I Work Too Much

this was a really good episode. it felt so much longer and deeper than its runtime. i really enjoyed pretty much everything about it.

i even liked the subtle changes like Strange's eyes changing color as he absorbed more power from the "demons" or whatever they're called

KRYPTON INC. and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  24. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

I think it could have been the same monster from that first episode.

KRYPTON INC. and ComicChick like this.
  25. ComicChick I Work Too Much

that's what i was thinking and i was also thinking that's how Carter and Evil Strange meet/connect

#100 ComicChick, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Drizzle likes this.