The Defenders Season 1, Episode 5 "Take Shelter" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
iWpvzRD.png

Episode 5: "Take Shelter"

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that half this show is basically people being annoyed by Danny and/or pointing out how dumb he is.

And FINALLY a [blackout]Misty/Colleen[/blackout] scene! :D

Last edited:
and yet:

Not a single scene between Danny and Misty to be had. That kind of pisses me off.

That was a really cool fight to start the episode at least.

Sticks is such a BADASS. I love that he is sharing so much screentime with the rest of the group. It was also cool seeing all the supporting characters in one scene even though they didn't really interact with each other.

I'm laughing how it's become a running joke now how stupid "the immortal Iron Fist" is. :lmao:

Stick is so precious and must be protected at all costs. He had me laughing from his [blackout]"Eh. No, unfortunately" response when they asked if The Hand guy is dead to nonchalantly slicing his head off.[/blackout]

I wonder if Trish will [blackout]figure out who the Daredevil is if she finds out who Foggy and Karen are (she seems to know who Karen is already).[/blackout]

I was surprised to see how much he's involved in this.

As of this moment, the Defenders is up there with both seasons of Daredevil as my favorite of the Netflix series.

Realized I didn't post my thoughts.

A bit of wheel spinning in this episode, but also some good transition moments. People often say filler when it's really not. All the secondary characters in a room together was cool. I like how even that act kind of pushes things closer to figuring out who Matt was. I also like how Daredevil is famous. It's cool to see him show up and everyone except Jessica Jones seems to like him. Finally, I like seeing Elektra's memory coming back. That gives some hope.

Four Stars.

Stick wasn't playing around.

I was at least happy to keep hearing Daredevil instead of "the devil of Hell's Kitchen" all the time.

Dear Karen

Daredevil saved you in the first episode of the Netflix world, and you appreciated him before you knew who he was.

Sincerely
Stop your disapproval.

EDIT:
Stick made me laugh at decapitation. Well played old man, well played.

Last edited:
Dear Karen

Daredevil saved you in the first episode of the Netflix world, and you appreciated him before you knew who he was.

Sincerely
Stop your disapproval.

Karen has always been supportive of the concept of Daredevil: someone who fights for justice and does what the cops and legal system sometimes can’t. This hasn't changed. At the diner, Karen said "I really think that Daredevil may have made the city a safer place." Her issue is with Matt himself, and there are two factors involved: the events of season 2, and Matt’s own attitude toward Daredevil at the time when Karen finds out about it.

Karen’s conversation with Matt in the diner at the beginning of The Defenders indicates that she didn’t know he was Daredevil before he told her his secret, although she probably subconsciously knew. Still, she watched Matt's life fall apart in season 2. As much as Karen supports Daredevil, the fact that she now knows Daredevil is Matt Murdock, a man who she cares deeply about, means her investment in him is now personal. She saw firsthand the negative effects of Matt's lifestyle, with his neglecting work in Frank Castle's trial, his random disappearing acts, his fights with Foggy, etc. Now, being Daredevil does not always have a BAD impact on Matt’s life, but for most of Daredevil, that had been the case, as far as Karen can see. She cares enough about Matt that, in spite of all of the good work Daredevil has done, and as much as she advocates for Daredevil, she also doesn’t want Matt to suffer.

Then there's Matt's own view on his activities after Season 2. With Elektra dead, he decided that he wanted to stop being Daredevil, and he made this clear to Foggy and Karen. He saw his vigilante career as pointless and destructive, so he set himself the goal of channeling all of his efforts into his legal career. Foggy and Karen saw Matt's seemingly desperate desire to stop doing this destructive thing he feels compelled to do, and thus became invested in helping him.

But it’s more complicated than that (and coming from Matt Murdock, why wouldn't it?), because despite his short-term disgust, Matt actually wants to be Daredevil, but he doesn’t make this clear to his friends because he has a hard time breaking old habits of secrecy and lying to them. That's why Foggy and Karen act like Matt's a drug addict who is trying to sober up when they realize he's done Daredevil stuff: because that’s the impression they’ve received of the situation from Matt. Remember that Foggy and Karen are not privy to everything the audience is aware of; they're only aware of what Matt tells them. So when Karen learns that Matt has– well– resumed being Daredevil, she's upset because Matt is once again doing this destructive thing he’d confidently told her just days ago he didn’t want to do anymore.

Karen is additionally upset that Matt is being so irresponsible about his secret identity, since she knows that bad things will happen to her, Matt and Foggy if Fisk finds out. And she is also upset that Matt has put her in danger again, which is also understandable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"