Falcon and Winter Soldier SEASON 1, EPISODE 5: TRUTH (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'MCU Limited Series on Disney+' started by Donner, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Mike Murdock Registered

I have mixed feelings about the casting choice. On the one hand, she's a great actress and will kick ass. On the other hand, she's probably the only Marvel Italian character I can name at all so I wish they went an Italian route.

I'm hoping she'll be a shady government spy type without explicitly being a villain, though. I know she ultimately became a villain in the comics (I think in Hickman's run) but the bulk of her comics history wasn't that. It's like defining Nick Fury based on Original Sin.

Anyway, this episode was a lot slower than it's been recently, but still fun. Looking forward to the finale.

ETA: I was surprised by the resolution of Zemo's story. I mean, not in the sense of him not being the final bad. I thought it became clear he would support the heroes and his story would end, but I expected it to end with him escaping. I suspect this means they're setting up a Thunderbolts story of Raft people if they intend to use him again, but I was half expecting a Masters of Evil first. That being said, I originally thought having him escape custody was a disservice to T'Challa's role in Civil War so I'm appreciative they didn't undermine that ending too much - at least not yet.

#301 Mike Murdock, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Dark Raven likes this.
  2. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Which Italian actress would you have picked for her? Monica Belluci perhaps? What other Italian actresses are there?

Batmannerism likes this.
  3. Mike Murdock Registered

I mean, there are plenty of Italian actresses that aren't known in the United States. That's what casting is for. Monica Bellucci may be the only one known to American audiences, concededly.

Tyler77 likes this.
  4. Blade Hoarder Registered

Yeah. How about an Italian actress. Not an eyetalian actress.

5. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I hope in the case that Sam Wilson is opening that instead of a Captain America costume it's actually the comic accurate Falcon costume with a live bird in there to replace Red Wing:

[​IMG]

6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I want a combo Cap/Falcon outfit.

KevTravels likes this.
  7. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Well Monica would be perfect but there are tons of Italian and Italian American actresses

Mira Sorvino, Alyssa Milano, Genevive Cortese, Carla Buono, Drea De Matteo...

What about Carla Gugino, was she busy?

#307 Batmannerism, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  8. KevTravels Registered

How old is Isiah suppose to be like 90/95?
    Doesn't the show take place in 2023 and Isiah probably enlisted when he was like 20 right? Korean War began in 1950 and most US troops were there by late 1950 and even more in early 1951.

9. Schlosser85 Registered

Good opening fight scene between Sam/Bucky/Walker. A probably intentional callback to the Steve/Bucky/Tony fight in Civil War. Also caught that Winter Soldier score snippet.

Wyatt Russell was really good in his courtroom scene.

As is Carl Lumbly in his scene with Sam.

10. DoomRulz A guy that comes and goes

There's also the not-so-small matter of that whole "No Black Man man would ever be accepted as Captain America", considering Sam Wilson did take the flag up at one point in the books. IIRC, it was after Bucky had his run in Cap Vol. 5. In any case, I agree with you. The race stuff was cringe-inducing.

11. p4poetic Registered

I ship Bucky with a Dora Milaje partially for that reason.

12. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I don't know, normally one would expect that "Her husband is an ex-Hydra assassin and one of the deadliest people on the planet" would *discourage* most forms of "attack a hero's loved ones". Most villains shouldn't want to sign their own death warrants.

13. Donner Formerly Elektra1 (she/her/hers)

You would think, but it's a common theme in movies and comics for villains to go after loved ones.

14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Yes, and I think its a dumb cliche, at least in a lot of contexts. ;)

At the very least, in a superhero story, villains who are intended to come off as intelligent should be able to make the leap of "superheroes are hard to kill and really dangerous, so do I want to have one or more with a grudge against me specifically?" Sure, sometimes the answer might be "yes, because I am terrifying powerful/obsessively vengeful/legitimately a short sighted moron", but a simple 'what does this gain me' test should filter out a *lot* of the stereotypical "shoot the spouse" plots. Doubly so if its a setting like the MCU where the Code vs Killing is *not* an assumed norm.