Falcon and Winter Soldier SEASON 1, EPISODE 5: TRUTH (SPOILERS)

I have mixed feelings about the casting choice. On the one hand, she's a great actress and will kick ass. On the other hand, she's probably the only Marvel Italian character I can name at all so I wish they went an Italian route.

I'm hoping she'll be a shady government spy type without explicitly being a villain, though. I know she ultimately became a villain in the comics (I think in Hickman's run) but the bulk of her comics history wasn't that. It's like defining Nick Fury based on Original Sin.

Anyway, this episode was a lot slower than it's been recently, but still fun. Looking forward to the finale.

Which Italian actress would you have picked for her? Monica Belluci perhaps? What other Italian actresses are there?

I mean, there are plenty of Italian actresses that aren't known in the United States. That's what casting is for. Monica Bellucci may be the only one known to American audiences, concededly.

I hope in the case that Sam Wilson is opening that instead of a Captain America costume it's actually the comic accurate Falcon costume with a live bird in there to replace Red Wing:

61p4nCXxR1L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I want a combo Cap/Falcon outfit.

Which Italian actress would you have picked for her? Monica Belluci perhaps? What other Italian actresses are there?

Well Monica would be perfect but there are tons of Italian and Italian American actresses

Mira Sorvino, Alyssa Milano, Genevive Cortese, Carla Buono, Drea De Matteo...

What about Carla Gugino, was she busy?

Last edited:
How old is Isiah suppose to be like 90/95?
Doesn't the show take place in 2023 and Isiah probably enlisted when he was like 20 right? Korean War began in 1950 and most US troops were there by late 1950 and even more in early 1951.

Good opening fight scene between Sam/Bucky/Walker. A probably intentional callback to the Steve/Bucky/Tony fight in Civil War. Also caught that Winter Soldier score snippet.

Wyatt Russell was really good in his courtroom scene.

As is Carl Lumbly in his scene with Sam.

Good idea, I should probably clarify more.

I had zero problem with Isaiah's story (well, the only problem I had was changing his captors to Americans from the Nazis, who in the comics were the ones who experimented on him). I feel like Isaiah came off so unlikable by making it a blanket statement on white people, rather than the people specifically who did that to him. Sam stuck up for Steve Rogers but Isaiah seemed unwilling to give the respect that was deserved to Steve and the shield, regardless of his horrible experiences.

I don't know. I see what Marvel was trying to do, I just find in my opinion it wasn't executed that well. It felt like just another divisive black vs white thing when it didn't need to be. It's a reflection of how I feel about everything in real life right now. Some horrible things have happened to black people that have justifiably shined a spotlight on racism but we've gone too far overboard with the smearing of white people and "whiteness".

Lastly, and this is just a personal thing, I love the character of Steve Rogers and I love the symbolism of the shield and the stars and stripes so Marvel taking a big **** over all that through the eyes of Isaiah just really irked me.

In a nutshell: you can tell Isaiah's story without making this another black vs white thing. We don't need that ****. Not with escapist stuff like Marvel Comics which is something that should be bringing us all together.

There's also the not-so-small matter of that whole "No Black Man man would ever be accepted as Captain America", considering Sam Wilson did take the flag up at one point in the books. IIRC, it was after Bucky had his run in Cap Vol. 5. In any case, I agree with you. The race stuff was cringe-inducing.

Bucky's gotta get his head right first.

Plus, everyone kind of knows he's an ex Hydra assassin (the news reports from Civil War after he was framed said so). I feel like that's an awkward conversation to have with the kids.

I said it before, these guys need other superhero partners. It's too hard to try to keep loved ones safe when they have no way to protect themselves.
I ship Bucky with a Dora Milaje partially for that reason.

I don't know, normally one would expect that "Her husband is an ex-Hydra assassin and one of the deadliest people on the planet" would *discourage* most forms of "attack a hero's loved ones". Most villains shouldn't want to sign their own death warrants.

I don't know, normally one would expect that "Her husband is an ex-Hydra assassin and one of the deadliest people on the planet" would *discourage* most forms of "attack a hero's loved ones". Most villains shouldn't want to sign their own death warrants.

You would think, but it's a common theme in movies and comics for villains to go after loved ones.

You would think, but it's a common theme in movies and comics for villains to go after loved ones.

Yes, and I think its a dumb cliche, at least in a lot of contexts. ;)

At the very least, in a superhero story, villains who are intended to come off as intelligent should be able to make the leap of "superheroes are hard to kill and really dangerous, so do I want to have one or more with a grudge against me specifically?" Sure, sometimes the answer might be "yes, because I am terrifying powerful/obsessively vengeful/legitimately a short sighted moron", but a simple 'what does this gain me' test should filter out a *lot* of the stereotypical "shoot the spouse" plots. Doubly so if its a setting like the MCU where the Code vs Killing is *not* an assumed norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"