Iron Fist Season 1, Episode 5 "Under Leaf Pluck Lotus" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
cguAl5P.png

Episode 5: Under Leaf Pluck Lotus

Okay, I paused the episode just to comment on this: imo Colleen is the most beautiful woman in MCU. :D

I'm liking the fact that the plot is finally progressing.

The plot is definitely something that's built directly from Daredevil, but it fits the themes of the show so far. I also like that they can still explore the class issues. That part of the show is a clear goal and I think it's working well after the slow start (and it works because of the groundwork laid). Heroin in particular fits the themes since you see Ward taking pills while the hobo in the first episode was injecting himself. But Heroin is a drug that affects everyone and they use that well.

The cancer cluster, while a stereotyped plot, continues the themes. The fact that Harold died of cancer fits on an emotional level. I also think that Danny's nievety that was set up works great when his takeout is catering, particularly in Colleen's dojo. The fact that he's used his wealth already to bully people around (disregarding Colleen's wishes by buying her property and becoming her landlord) shows how wealth and the ability to use it affects people. Speaking of Colleen, I like that she clearly knows how to use weapons better than Danny. People are focused on Danny being better at punching things, but she gets in her own.

Finally, I like Claire. I think the inevitable "I know a nurse" thing hasn't gotten old. I also love that she's already on the same page - her reaction to hearing The Hand instantly made her part of the group for this. I'll reiterate my complaints about Madame Gao. I don't think it fits what was set up. But I do think it simplifies things.

Four and a Half Stars.

Were we supposed to see Madame Gao as some sort of reveal?

Were we supposed to see Madame Gao as some sort of reveal?
dependening on the 'we', maybe.
the GA who doesn't follow the MCU religously might see this as surprise, seeing a random character from DD again

dependening on the 'we', maybe.
the GA who doesn't follow the MCU religously might see this as surprise, seeing a random character from DD again

Eh, I don't know. I mean, it was a big enough part of DD and "The Hand" was mentioned plenty enough on this show. So, it's not like it can be easily forgotten.

OTOH, "revealing" her as part of the Hand is. . . weird, and not really believable. It just doesn't fit with what we've seen in Daredevil.

And nothing from later in the season really changes this.

Okay, I paused the episode just to comment on this: imo Colleen is the most beautiful woman in MCU. :D

She is beautiful, but I was thinking that she seems maybe a little too cute and pretty to be Colleen Wing. She's almost like a girl you might take home to your parents, or someone's kid sister. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but she's quite different to the image of Colleen that has been drawn in the comics who seems much colder and looks tougher.

Now at the end of the episode,

why did they do this dramatic reveal of Madame Gao, when we all already knew it was her several episodes ago from her voice, and could even tell here it was her both from her voice and general silhouette and stature? It's not like it was a surprise at all.

Nice to see Claire Temple here. I didn't know she was taking self defence classes though. Have they mentioned that ever before in one of the other series?

She is beautiful, but I was thinking that she seems maybe a little too cute and pretty to be Colleen Wing. She's almost like a girl you might take home to your parents, or someone's kid sister. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but she's quite different to the image of Colleen that has been drawn in the comics who seems much colder and looks tougher.

Now at the end of the episode,

why did they do this dramatic reveal of Madame Gao, when we all already knew it was her several episodes ago from her voice, and could even tell here it was her both from her voice and general silhouette and stature? It's not like it was a surprise at all.

Nice to see Claire Temple here. I didn't know she was taking self defence classes though. Have they mentioned that ever before in one of the other series?

In one of the Luke Cage episodes, she tore off a paper ad for Colleens dojo. A really quick scene

This was an interesting episode.
I am as confused as anyone who saw this episode as to why Gao is part of the Hand.

Yeah, that felt like bad writing. Hell, the subtitles in episodes before this didn't bother hiding Madame Gao's identity.

This was an interesting episode.
I am as confused as anyone who saw this episode as to why Gao is part of the Hand.

I am 100% convinced that was never the original plan. It was something Scott Buck threw together at the last minute, unthinkingly.

I am 100% convinced that was never the original plan. It was something Scott Buck threw together at the last minute, unthinkingly.

I had a feeling that they always knew they wanted Gao as the villain Since Daredevil season 1, so that was locked in, but then when Iron Fist was starting they felt they needed to setup The Hand for The Defenders so decided to retcon her as a leader.

After watching Defenders a part of me likes it, The Hand have so much control in the city that Fisk had unknowingly had 2 of the 5 members in his enterprise be from the Hand. My headcanon is that Fisk invite Gao to supply the product, but the hand knew they had to secure the city block from him so sent Nobu to muscle his way in. With Nobu acting in strength and Gao acting in secret they could better manipulate Fisk.

Still, I wish Gao wasn't a member of the Hand. I'd rather they have here as another player who at times is against the Hand. Making Iron Fist a four way power struggle between Bokuto, Gao, Harold Meecham, and Iron Fist. With Iron Fist and Gao coming on top setting up for future seasons.

Good to see Rosario Dawson here. Love seeing all these characters showing up all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"