Season 1, Episode 6: "Broken Trust" (SPOILERS)

Six episodes in and I just realized that Clark doesn't really have any friends of his own to talk with on this show.
You'd think he'd be able to rely on Jonn or Kara or Alex or even Barry to some degree.

This is one of the reasons that the whole crisis merging of worlds shouldn't have happened, hell it wouldn't have been a bad idea for all the shows to simply remain independent of each other, but when they literally all exist on the same world now (save for Stargirl) and yet there's no interaction between any of the characters when there's big events going on. It's absurd.

Kara, Clark, Barry and Jonn should protectors of the world; they're fast and capable enough, and yet they limit themselves to a city (or in Clark's case, a farm?) I know we've gotta' suspend belief a bit, but there's a limit...

You'd think he'd be able to rely on Jonn or Kara or Alex or even Barry to some degree.

This is one of the reasons that the whole crisis merging of worlds shouldn't have happened, hell it wouldn't have been a bad idea for all the shows to simply remain independent of each other, but when they literally all exist on the same world now (save for Stargirl) and yet there's no interaction between any of the characters when there's big events going on. It's absurd.

Kara, Clark, Barry and Jonn should protectors of the world; they're fast and capable enough, and yet they limit themselves to a city (or in Clark's case, a farm?) I know we've gotta' suspend belief a bit, but there's a limit...
What's he going to talk to them about? Raising teenage boys? Everything going on with Clark is a "parent" issue and he isn't exactly close with those other people outside of Kara.

So I really loved this episode. Clark in full dad mode is something I can really get behind, and I found Lois' plotline while standard, also rather enjoyable. The log punching scene was just perfect. Clark's little, "that was clearly a mistake" moment killed me and I really liked the heat vision into the hand moment. Especially as it seemed to hurt Clark a bit.

The show likes to lay it on thick with the echoes between Clark and his sons, but more often then not, they make it work for me. Also I kind of really like Jonathan and I did not expect that. I am sure we are going to get something where he tries to take X-Kryptonite to "fit in" and fix his hand, but I really like him so far. He is a good reflection of his parent's values.

I really hope the Smallville freak of the week isn't going to be permanent. Even as I have a soft spot for that show, it's 2021. Please no.

Last edited:

I mean, while Clark does do a bit of global work, he also is mainly in Metropolis, one city as well. Remember the episode where he had to deal with people starting to notice his absence in Metropolis?

And let me assure you, there is nothing parents LOVE more than advice on how to raise their kids from friends without kids...

Oh, and one thing I really like about this show. Clark's super hearing actually works! His response to Lois' call for help after Jordan collapsed just hit me right in the chest.

Oh, and one thing I really like about this show. Clark's super hearing actually works! His response to Lois' call for help after Jordan collapsed just hit me right in the chest.
Yeah, there was a line from Lois a couple episodes ago after he missed the town hall, where he said he knows she's upset and she was all "don't listen to my vitals" or something to that effect, and I was like, I was JUST thinking about how he likely does that, lol! I love how they don't tend to forget about that stuff.

Yeah, there was a line from Lois a couple episodes ago after he missed the town hall, where he said he knows she's upset and she was all "don't listen to my vitals" or something to that effect, and I was like, I was JUST thinking about how he likely does that, lol! I love how they don't tend to forget about that stuff.
I reacted to that as well. This show really does feel like those who are working on it know a lot about Superman, Lois and their world in general. It's nice.

Everything going on with Clark is a "parent" issue and he isn't exactly close with those other people outside of Kara.
I mean, while Clark does do a bit of global work, he also is mainly in Metropolis, one city as well. Remember the episode where he had to deal with people starting to notice his absence in Metropolis?

And let me assure you, there is nothing parents LOVE more than advice on how to raise their kids from friends without kids...
Granted, he shouldn't be seeking parental advice, but surely he'd be in touch?

His cousin (Kara) was lost in the phantom zone. Nobody thought to mention that to him, or at least ask if he knew anything that could help them?

His cousin (Kara) was lost in the phantom zone. Nobody thought to mention that to him, or at least ask if he knew anything that could help them?

I guess they're just not that close anymore or the Super friends considered he wasn't knowledgeable enough.

They could've contacted the Legends to go back in time. Chyler slept with Sara before during one of the crossovers. I'm sure Barry Allen could've run back in time for Kara. Maybe Vibe could've also opened a portal for Kara to cross from the Phantom Zone to earth.

They could've contacted the Legends to go back in time. Chyler slept with Sara before during one of the crossovers. I'm sure Barry Allen could've run back in time for Kara. Maybe Vibe could've also opened a portal for Kara to cross from the Phantom Zone to earth.
This is what I mean though...

Brainy and Dreamer went back in time by themselves in order to get Kara's blood in that episode. Didn't consult a speedster who could run back in time. Barry went back in time with the intent on erasing these new forces before they were born. Didn't consult the guys with a time ship. The Legends are on a time ship and should have been able to do both trips in one, except we know the Legends don't quite seem to work out of time like they should do, but rather, in real-time with the rest of the shows.

As stated either above, or elsewhere, I understand that we've gotta' subside an element of realism as far as these shows go, but they specifically wrote Crisis to bring these shows together, and they couldn't be further apart if they tried. Ordinarily we could blame covid, but if covid wasn't a thing, and these shows had been written and played out as intended, we all know that these incoherent inconsistencies would've continued to plague each show anyway.

I maintain that the whole bringing the shows together was the biggest mistake the network and/or producers (whoever) made. They shouldn't stayed on their own damn earths, and only interacted when there was a multiversal threat that needed dealing with, or one character/team was jumping over to another earth to help with a small problem or simply to say hello and catchup.

I mean, the time line of the shows are a bit off due to covid screwing up finales.

But also, as of Season 1 of Supergirl, Clark is a texter.

This is what I mean though...

Brainy and Dreamer went back in time by themselves in order to get Kara's blood in that episode. Didn't consult a speedster who could run back in time. Barry went back in time with the intent on erasing these new forces before they were born. Didn't consult the guys with a time ship. The Legends are on a time ship and should have been able to do both trips in one, except we know the Legends don't quite seem to work out of time like they should do, but rather, in real-time with the rest of the shows.

As stated either above, or elsewhere, I understand that we've gotta' subside an element of realism as far as these shows go, but they specifically wrote Crisis to bring these shows together, and they couldn't be further apart if they tried. Ordinarily we could blame covid, but if covid wasn't a thing, and these shows had been written and played out as intended, we all know that these incoherent inconsistencies would've continued to plague each show anyway.

I maintain that the whole bringing the shows together was the biggest mistake the network and/or producers (whoever) made. They shouldn't stayed on their own damn earths, and only interacted when there was a multiversal threat that needed dealing with, or one character/team was jumping over to another earth to help with a small problem or simply to say hello and catchup.

I mean, as far as anyone else knew, Barry was still anti-time travel. And why consult the Legends when they have their own time ship and time traveler? A lot of this is just knitpicking .

But also, as of Season 1 of Supergirl, Clark is a texter.
The fastest texter alive if I recall the episodes.

I mean, as far as anyone else knew, Barry was still anti-time travel. And why consult the Legends when they have their own time ship and time traveler? A lot of this is just knitpicking .
Because the Legends have more experience with time travel? And they have Gideon? As for nitpicking, I'd rather the shows I watch be a little more coherent. Is there really anything wrong with that?

If you want less nitpicking however...
  • The Legends had a whole season dealing with Eobard Thawne, the sworn enemy of Barry Allen. Unless I'm mistaken, not once did they consult any other speedster.
  • Speaking of speedsters, and by extension, the speed force. The mere fact the speedforce seems to exist in real-time just doesn't make sense. It's a cosmic force that should exist outside of time, thus speedsters should exist, or they shouldn't. Just as the speedforce itself should exist, or it shouldn't.
  • Eddie Thawne. Shouldn't he exist now? His sacrifice was to erase Thawne. That worked, but it didn't, so where is Eddie, and more importantly, why didn't the real Harrison Wells stand up back when Thawne came back into the picture, post flashpoint. Both should've existed again.
  • Speed Demons. Sometimes they show up. Sometimes they don't. The mere fact that Brainy is existing in the past should call for them to be a constant problem for him, shouldn't it? Same goes for the Legends.
  • What happened to Maxwell Lord? Where is Wally West (he'd have his speed back by now)? Where have the Hawks been all this time?
  • Hell. It exists in the Arrowverse (Constantine) as does Lucifer, and I know that scene was more fan service, but where does God stand with this new multiverse?
  • How about we discuss how the Rogues were wasted?
  • The hell is Bruce Wayne?
I could go on - and on, but you get the point, I'm sure. Stargirl and (at the moment) Superman are the only two shows of who's writing team I have faith in. Stargirl works because (for the moment) it's not tied into Earth-1, or Earth-Prime. Superman works because it's a new show and the focus is on family. The other shows though, especially since Crisis, have been a mess.

The fastest texter alive if I recall the episodes.

How can the recipient really tell if he's the fastest texter alive though? Not everyone gets back to someone else immediately. So even if he can type quicker than anyone else, he might not respond straight away or he could be busy at work or flying or saving someone. Texting back as soon as another person has sent a message might seem like he's got nothing better to do. How fast he types makes no difference to the recipient overall.

How can the recipient really tell if he's the fastest texter alive though? Not everyone gets back to someone else immediately. So even if he can type quicker than anyone else, he might not respond straight away or he could be busy at work or flying or saving someone. Texting back as soon as another person has sent a message might seem like he's got nothing better to do. How fast he types makes no difference to the recipient overall.
It does.

I can't remember the specific episode, though it shouldn't be hard to narrow down considering how many episodes of Supergirl had Superman in it.

Needless to say, Kara send Clark a spontaneous message and he relied INSTANTLY.

Even if Clark happened to be looking at his phone at that exact point, no human can type that quick.

It does.

I can't remember the specific episode, though it shouldn't be hard to narrow down considering how many episodes of Supergirl had Superman in it.

Needless to say, Kara send Clark a spontaneous message and he relied INSTANTLY.

Even if Clark happened to be looking at his phone at that exact point, no human can type that quick.

Surely Barry Allen is faster. But even still, they're often saving people so they can't always respond immediately. If they're occupied there can easily be a few hours gap between one message sent to them and when they reply. That means someone much slower could still reply to the sender before them.

I never type individual letters on my phone. I just swipe across the keyboard and am inputting a word at a time instead of letters at a time.

Late to the party per usual. This was, I think, the best ep so far. Clark taking the heat in pain for Jordon at the game got me all emotional. That’s great writing, showing someone take action over word to suffer for the one they love.

I’ve seen some comments about some users being upset with Jordon but I think the way they are representing his struggle is authentic. Didn’t bother me at all. Breaking his brothers hand and being lambasted for it is what will ultimately teach him the lesson.

Also, the way Lois and Clark handled that as parents was pitch perfect.

I’m digging this show so much I hope it survives good writing into several seasons. Maybe they’ve learned from the horrible CW love triangle tropes of past.

The look and feel continues to be on par with film quality for the most part outside of some noticeable poor CGI but that’s tv budget for ya.

Surely Barry Allen is faster. But even still, they're often saving people so they can't always respond immediately. If they're occupied there can easily be a few hours gap between one message sent to them and when they reply. That means someone much slower could still reply to the sender before them.

I never type individual letters on my phone. I just swipe across the keyboard and am inputting a word at a time instead of letters at a time.
Respectfully I don't think you understand what I mean. When I say Clark replied to Kara instantaneously, that's exactly what is meant; in less than a second.

The purpose was likely closure for the scene to make sense and send us on our way, as they could've hardly had Kara just sat there waiting for a reply, but it's just too silly to be overlooked.

...This is one of the reasons that the whole crisis merging of worlds shouldn't have happened, hell it wouldn't have been a bad idea for all the shows to simply remain independent of each other, but when they literally all exist on the same world now (save for Stargirl) and yet there's no interaction between any of the characters when there's big events going on. It's absurd.

Yes. Except… the conceptual problem of solo adventures within a shared universe isn’t unique to the Arrowverse. It’s happened in the MCU. And in the comics, generally, long before that. In the comics, especially, there was sometimes a reference to another character and then an “explanation” as to why they were unavailable to assist. (“Gee, Superman would be big help. Too bad he’s on that mission to Alpha Centauri.” :cwink:) But quite often, the issue would simply be ignored. It was one of those things (among many others within the genre) that the audience was expected to wink at and move on from.

Based on articles posted here, it seems the S&L showrunners fully intended to integrate the series with the rest of the Arrowverse. E.g., there was that announced mini-crossover with Batwoman. But the logistics of dealing with COVID, the cast change over at Batwoman and (possibly) Benoist’s maternity leave scuttled many plans. In the meantime, S&L has established (to its credit) a tonal identity and niche that’s quite distinct from the rest of the Arrowverse. So perhaps — Crisis notwithstanding — they’re now rethinking integration…? Or, at the very least, they’re in no hurry to confirm integration. :shrug:

Based on articles posted here, it seems the S&L showrunners fully intended to integrate the series with the rest of the Arrowverse. E.g., there was that announced mini-crossover with Batwoman. But the logistics of dealing with COVID, the cast change over at Batwoman and (possibly) Benoist’s maternity leave scuttled many plans. In the meantime, S&L has established (to its credit) a tonal identity and niche that’s quite distinct from the rest of the Arrowverse. So perhaps — Crisis notwithstanding — they’re now rethinking integration…? Or, at the very least, they’re in no hurry to confirm integration.
If they can continue down this path, with or without the occasional reference to other heroes, then I can overlook what I perceive to be larger issues. If however they opt to throw as many people together as they can in a future crossover and then go back to singular stories when they don't need too, I will find myself again irritated. :p

I'm sure it's tricky, as the writers from each show are firstly a different team, and secondly, are trying to tell their own story, so if they want to do something on time travel within Supergirl or Batwoman, they're not going to want to keep phoning up the Flash team and say "can we borrow Barry for an episode" but you'd at least like to think that they can liaise with them and come to a valid reason as to why Barry wouldn't be available.

Needless to say, we'll just have to see how things progress from hereon out.

Yes. Except… the conceptual problem of solo adventures within a shared universe isn’t unique to the Arrowverse. It’s happened in the MCU. And in the comics, generally, long before that. In the comics, especially, there was sometimes a reference to another character and then an “explanation” as to why they were unavailable to assist. (“Gee, Superman would be big help. Too bad he’s on that mission to Alpha Centauri.” :cwink:) But quite often, the issue would simply be ignored. It was one of those things (among many others within the genre) that the audience was expected to wink at and move on from.

Based on articles posted here, it seems the S&L showrunners fully intended to integrate the series with the rest of the Arrowverse. E.g., there was that announced mini-crossover with Batwoman. But the logistics of dealing with COVID, the cast change over at Batwoman and (possibly) Benoist’s maternity leave scuttled many plans. In the meantime, S&L has established (to its credit) a tonal identity and niche that’s quite distinct from the rest of the Arrowverse. So perhaps — Crisis notwithstanding — they’re now rethinking integration…? Or, at the very least, they’re in no hurry to confirm integration. :shrug:

I mean, the Diggle crossover is still happening.

Yeah, the timeline of the Arrowverse shows is a bit wacky at the best of times but Covid really threw it for a loop.

Specifically on the Kara issue I’d assume she was meant to be out of the phantom zone by the time the Superman & Lois’ pilot takes place. The Supergirl premiere picks up right after the season 5 finale (which was about April 2020), there’s a gap between that and the next episode but not enough for the city to notice her absence and the rest of the episodes have been pretty continuous since. Superman & Lois says it’s the start of Fall in episode 5 with the Fall Harvest, so the pilot would be roughly a few weeks to a month earlier.

It bothers me more when it’s related characters, like they should have mentioned at least talking to Clark when Kara got trapped in the zone or tried to call him for help before Kara literally recorded her will, but under normal circumstances you just have to role with it otherwise you’d always be justifying why the other characters aren’t helping.

The one time that I feel like a small cameo by Kara would have been appropriate on this show was during Marth Kent's funeral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"