Season 1, Episode 8 "Blowin' Up the Spot" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Discussion in 'Luke Cage' started by Kane52630, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

2. Best

Best Side-Kicker

.... Stryker is just annoying/weird so far. The score isn't exactly helping either.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I generally preferred Cottonmouth to Diamondback. I'm not sure if it was the right move to get rid of Cottonmouth so soon.

It just seemed rather convenient for me that everything about what's going on in Harlem so easily connects to Luke Cage's personal life. Turns out Cage seems to have a personal connection every which way. In this version, he's not even from Harlem. He's from Savannah.

4. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

That was probably the worst part of the show for me. Luke is supposed to be a dude from the streets. An inner-city hero, someone who grew up in Harlem and is now changing his ways. Him being an outsider coming in is a hell of a lot different.

The episode was decent. Misty and Claire arguing was fun, but Stryker's introduction is a little weird. Why not have flashbacks to their youth before all of this?

5. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

Probably my least favorite episode so far but not bad at all

6. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I think this episode would have been improved if we knew a little more about Stryker and Luke before it happened.

Still, good episode. Misty is great

7. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

The ending of this episode was great in that classic blaxploitation style.

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Can anyone explain something to me about this episode? One thing left me a little confused.

Misty, all through the episode, seems to be firmly of the belief Luke Cage is being set up and Mariah is responsible for Cottonmouth's murder. She even finds Luke and accepts his story, all like, "That's your alibi." Then she gets that phone call and totally switches, suddenly she absolutely believes he's a murderer and that Claire is lying to give him an alibi. Even seeing the gunman that is chasing him isn't enough to change Misty's mind, and she goes to extremes with it in the interrogation room with Claire. Did I miss some important detail? Or is her sudden, abrupt change in behaviour explained later?

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I think Misty was just trying to do her best to bring Luke Cage in since he was still a person of interest and her inspector wanted him brought in for questioning at the very least. There's still a lot of things he hadn't answered for yet and he was still connected to all the incidents. That's how I read it. Could be wrong.

10. Chesterfield

Chesterfield Well-Known Member

Also, the blood stained gloves found at the barbershop is what prompted the call to Misty. She was arresting him as a prime suspect rather than her thinking he was 100% guilty.

11. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

Those city sanitation workers see and hear nothing ;)

This episode started very even-keeled (even the beginning had less tension), but it built up to the end. It started with just the investigation and coverup. However, the tension towards the end with Diamondback hunting and the fight scene was great. The problem with an invulnerable hero is you sometimes need to make him vulnerable. That worked quite well. I do hope Misty gets her act together, though.

I wish the theater he went in was the Gem Theater. They could be saving it for next season, but it would have made for a nice Easter Egg. I think they changed Diamondback's connection to Luke a bit, but it seemed like a change for the good.

Four and a Half Stars.

12. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Ah right, that makes sense.

13. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Looks like Loki has a contender for crazy brother with a vendetta and daddy issues.

Seems like I'm alone in really enjoying Diamonback being a crazy psychopathy in this show. The performance is OTT but I like it.

"I got commandments for your ass. I'm gonna bring the pain"

Not sure how I feel about Stryker being Cage half brother. Seems like they combined Diamondback and James Lucas jr (Coldfire).

I prefer comic Stryker's motivation for turning on Carl Lucas (Luke Cage). Lucas embarrassed him, pinched his girl and went 'soft' so Stryker framed him.
    [​IMG]

The music was totally out of a 70's blaxploitation/Kung Fu movies during the fight scenes. I though Sho'Nuff was going to turn up in that theater it felt so retro.

Warriors reference

Black Mariah is even more ruthless than her cousin.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

I thought it was a pretty good episode and that Diamondback is pretty chilling. Misty was a highlight for me in this episode and Luke saying "Power Man" brought a smile to my face.

Think I prefer Diamondback to Cottonmouth and is anyone else thinking the inspector might be dirty too?

15. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Hmm... wasn't expecting this much family drama.

16. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

"Alibi?"
    Claire, I think in being occupied with Carl's wound, you forgot what Mercedes told you about the murder charge.

17. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Bit jarring with Diamondback suddenly the big bad now.