Season 1 / Episode 8: What If… Ultron Won?

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score

Last edited:
Hm, yea itsooking like that Tony on Sakaar episode was the one that got booted to next season.

I wasn't expecting the Vision as Ultron episode until the finale. Maybe it's a two-parter?

I wasn't expecting the Vision as Ultron episode until the finale. Maybe it's a two-parter?

It should be. There is just too much story in such an episode to be told in 30 minutes (how Ultron came in possession of the stones, Watcher recruiting the heroes, the final battle, etc.).

Yea it's probably gonna be an episode dedicated to his origin and universe followed by an episode where our heroes team up to take him down.

@Pennywise

Season 1 / Episode 8: What If…

200.gif

So this episode is a direct continuation of last week's episode.
They'll probably use this episode to establish the threat that is Ultron Prime and i guess they go back in time to show how Ultron got his Vision body, his army and the infinity stones. Also what are his motivations and why did he specifically target Thor?

Ultron Prime seems to be based around the events of Age of Ultron.
Ultron, Ultron Sentries, Vibranium, Vision, Mind Stone...

The creation of Ultron Prime actually lines up with the leaks of armored Gamora hunting Tony Stark in Sakaar. In the main timeline it was Hulk who, after the events of AOU, ended up in space and was sucked in to Sakaar. So in this reality it was Tony Stark in the Hulkbuster armor who ended up in Sakaar, maybe the fight against Hulk sent the Hulkbuster into space.

So in reality this episode should be an alternate origin story of Ultron Prime and an introduction to armored Gamora.

Sorry, not sure what the official title is yet! They typically don’t reveal it until the day before, so I will edit the title tomorrow! :yay:
giphy.gif

I actually opened a thread for this episode last week. It doesn't matter though. ;)

So what if Ultron got the Infinity Stones from Zombie Thanos?
Since zombie Thanos was missing the mind stone from his gauntlet... And even Vision himself said that robots where not in the menu for zombies so that could've been the perfect opening for Ultron to completely take over.

Zombie-Thanos-in-What-If.jpg

What-If...-Episode-8-Poster.jpg

So what if Ultron got the Infinity Stones from Zombie Thanos?
Since zombie Thanos was missing the mind stone from his gauntlet... And even Vision himself said that robots where not in the menu for zombies so that could've been the perfect opening for Ultron to completely take over.

Zombie-Thanos-in-What-If.jpg

What-If...-Episode-8-Poster.jpg

Seems very likely.

Didn't realize Hawkeye was going to be in this one but then I remembered that he was there with Fury when Captain Carter emerged from the portal at the end of the first episode.

Didn't realize Hawkeye was going to be in this one but then I remembered that he was there with Fury when Captain Carter emerged from the portal at the end of the first episode.

He killed Thor (by accident) in episode 3 as well. ;)

So Ultron went rogue and the Avengers where powerless to stop him. Seems like he took over the world’s nuclear weapons and launched them all over the planet. That’s as bleak as it gets.

It should be. There is just too much story in such an episode to be told in 30 minutes (how Ultron came in possession of the stones, Watcher recruiting the heroes, the final battle, etc.).
Sounds good. Needs 2 episodes yeah. Time to get serious again too after Party Thor.

Oh wow, pretty damn dark episode. Crazy to see how powerful Ultron can be when wielding the Infinity Stones. It was nice to see both Clint & Natasha partnering up once more and got a nice little call back to Endgame when Natasha gave her life, only this time they flipped the script

I thought Ross Marquand did a decent job voicing Ultron, though his Spader voice is not as strong as his Weaving voice. Wish they could have gotten James Spader to come back though

Anyway, can’t believe the finale is already next week. These episodes really flew by. Looking forward to see how this ends.

One of the better episodes for sure.
A few pacing issues but otherwise good stuff.

I thought the runtime was too small which made the episode feel rushed, specially the first half where a lot was established a bit too quickly and the latter half also suffer a bit of the same issue with it almost feeling like we where sprinting towards the end. It just needed more time to breath overall in order to give these massive moments more substance and depth.

Regarding the story itself I thought it was interesting and somewhat predictable of Ultron managed to take over Earth while the other stuff with the Watcher was much more mind blowing. Loved seeing the Watcher let loose and it was pretty epic when he armoured up. The way they did the whole breaking through realities was a bit weird but I’m ok with it since it’s such an out there and otherworldly concept.

Ultron was ruthless and relentless. So OP with the Infinity Stones, him realizing the Watcher’s presence and hunting him down was pretty amazing. The way the Watcher interacted with the whole situation was very interesting, he almost felt like a totally different character in this and I hoped there was a better and smoother transition.

The Black Widow and Hawkeye pairing worked well and his sacrifice worked in the context of the story and as a not to what happen in AEG.

I thought it was overall one of the better episodes but with some familiar flaws that have plagued the series so far, like the irregular pacing, a lack of a smoother transition between different moments and better world building with more connective threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"