The Punisher Season 2, Episode 1 "Roadhouse Blues" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
The-Punisher-season-2-cast-700x300.jpg

EPISODE 1: "Roadhouse Blues"

Use spoiler tags when discussing the events of any future episodes.

Alexa Davalos showing up here was a nice surprise. :up:

EDIT: Hell yeah that fight was great.

Last edited:
Bernthal as Frank is one of the best casting choices ever for superhero properties. The dude IS The Punisher and Marvel should keep him.

This episode was a great commercial for Shooter Jennings.

First time I get to be among the crazies and review episodes on Friday morning because, for some strange reason, Virginia makes the Friday before MLK a holiday. Since I started watching at 9:30 in the morning, I'm not going to suggest the same drink as last year. Instead, treat yourself to a nice Irish Coffee.

This start felt a little more intense than last year. I thought this episode had a lot of nice moments. I like that the girl he's trying to protect is a bit of a mystery girl with clearly more going on than she's letting on. That being said, despite her evasiveness, we see that she isn't trying to continue this part of her life and that she's also no longer a threat but still being attacked.
The ending "Are there going to be any more?" "I hope so" really does a great job of capturing the ethos and pathos of Frank Castle. The Punisher has arguably always been the easiest comic book character to capture on screen since his influences are a lot of 70s and 80s action heroes. This show has done a nice job of making sure the human side comes out as well. In a way, he's closer to Wolverine - trying to mind his own business but when something bad happens, the claws come out. I guess the difference is, Wolverine will kill if he has to, Frank Castle is looking for the excuse while trying his best not to seek out the excuse.

I'm giving this episode Five Stars.

PS - Anyone know where this was filmed? Since it's set in Michigan, it doesn't need to be filmed in New York. Punisher has fewer ties to the city, which arguably makes it cheaper to film since it can be filmed anywhere.

I want a spin-off for that legendary bouncer. I was gutted when he was finally stopped.

Bernthal's Punisher is one of the things that has me optimistic about this universe's future. You won't find better casting and he's a relatively big name, a valuable asset.

That bathroom/bar fight was beyond badass. Great episode overall and a pretty damn strong start for this season.

Just finished the first episode and I'm so glad this show is back. I really didn't think I would enjoy this show since I hated Frank in Season Two of Daredevil, but it surprised me and I think I ended up liking last season more than any of the other Marvel series released last year on Netflix. I was very excited to see Alexa Davalos show up in this episode as I hadn't recognized her in the trailer. I hope we see more of her. I loved Frank and Karen last season, but if that doesn't pan out, I would be into Frank and Beth for sure. Going to try and finish the season this weekend, but man there's just so many good stuff out there that dropped today that I want to see as well.

What a opening episode. The whole bar fight was top notch stuff. Jon Bernthal is my punisher bit as others have mentioned im saddened this will most likely be his last outing. I want to enjoy every minute of this. Love this ****ing character.

Bernthal is perfect as Frank, but I was very underwhelmed by the episode. Pretty by the numbers with aimless/ugly cinematography. The fight was cool but I think it could've been shot better, it looked pretty cheap and you could definitely tell it was stunt guys with rubber knives. This show has nothing on Daredevil's fight scenes. I'm also not a fan of annoying kid side kicks, and the actress didn't seem like the type who'd know how to lockpick or be dealing with the types of criminals who send dozens of goons after you. Didn't care for Frank acting like big brother to the poor, helpless women, either.

I don't know. I'm hoping it gets better because I enjoyed the first season, but right now I don't have much interest in continuing.

Off to a great start. :)

Started out a little slow, but that bathroom and bar fight sure made up for it. I also like that they didn't shy away from Frank fighting those women the way he did, plus they attacked him first after all. But I'm sure some people will complain about it

I liked the episode. Just simply informing where some of the mains characters are at the moment. Mostly about Frank, of course. The fight scenes were fun to watch.

I’m going to have to watch this episode again, and revisit any small touches that I missed.

Is the band famous in real life?

spoilers

Nice that the writers kept in mind that a small town Michigan kid would be a fan of the Red Wings.

I was surprised that the writers allowed Frank to have a love interest/hookup this early on. Nice that he’s willing—for now—to at least nominally move on from his wife’s death. I hope that she at least gets to live for the sake of her son, though I think it’s safe to speculate that she and Frank won’t end up together. The lengthy conversation between Frank and Beth is touching, and goes a long way to upgrade Frank’s portrayal from the super-stoic guy in the comics to something more.

I’m wondering just who the mysterious villain/boss seems to be, and what the connection with this teenage girl? Also, when the boss shows up in the aftermath of the big battle, it is apparent that a police lieutenant is with him, hinting at some type of corrupt influence.

The henchmen/women were really intent on getting the girl and the apparent laptop computer in her backpack. So what’s really going on here?

Janis Joplin's "bobby mcgee" in the background was a nice touch, surreal..

I was rather uncomfortable as the brawl included women. Intellectually I was aware that these women were apparently trained mercs/killers, but I was partially cringing as to how this would be handled, given the general level of brutality that is associated with Frank's fights. Whoo-boy.. I guess we'll have to see whether there's any real-life blowback...

Last edited:
Unexpected Alexa Davalos guest role.

I like that the writers aren't just Ennis Punisher fans and remember that Castle has relationships and is able to function like a normal human being like he did often in the older comics.
I want a spin-off for that legendary bouncer. I was gutted when he was finally stopped.
The bouncer was called Ringo. I loved the part when he wrecked that guys back on the edge of the bar. Not sure how the guy was still walking after that.

I saw people joking on Punisher thread that that the Avengers would of defeated Thanos in Infinity War if they had Ringo The Bouncer on the team :funny:

Loved both the bathroom and bar fight. Action to kick off the first episode!

Definitely...as much as I disliked Season 2 I still do think Jon Bernthal is one of the most well cast actors in the MCU tv or movies!
Yeah, he's as well cast as anyone out there. It would be very hard to improve on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"