Season 2, Episode 1: "What Lies Beneath" (SEASON PREMIERE - SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Superman & Lois' started by LL2K2, Sep 14, 2021.

1. LL2K2 Maid of Might

flickchick85 and Slick like this.
  2. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Probably unrelated beyond a possible shoutout, but "What Lies Beneath" is probably my favorite story from Greg Pak's Action Comics run. If anyone hasn't a read it, I'd definitely recommend it. It's a great read, and a great statement on what Superman's all about.

[​IMG]

Featured a really fun (and somewhat poignant) Supes/Lana team-up.

Primal Slayer likes this.
  3. Dr. From parts unknown

Synopsis released:

SEASON TWO PREMIERE ("What Lies Beneath") – Season two opens with the dust still settling in Smallville following the shocking outcome of the confrontation between Tal-Rho (Adam Rayner, “Tyrant”) and Superman (Tyler Hoechlin). Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) and Clark struggle as a couple while Chrissy (Sofia Hasmik) adjusts to running The Smallville Gazette with Lois. Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) faces new challenges on the football field, and secrets threaten to destroy Jordan (Alex Garfin) and Sarah’s (Inde Navarrette) growing relationship. Meanwhile, Kyle (Erik Valdez) grows concerned over Lana's (Emmanuelle Chriqui) involvement with a new mayoral candidate. Lastly, John Henry Irons (Wole Parks) and his daughter Natalie (Tayler Buck) attempt to make this new Earth their home. The episode was directed by Gregory Smith and written by Brent Fletcher & Todd Helbing (#201). [Scheduled] airdate 1/11/2022.

4. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

What lies beneath is when you take the top bunk bed and don't check who's sleeping below.

5. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

At least they didn’t start with a time jump.

6. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Nice to see tensions between Clark and Lois as they promised. This show needs to be submitted for an Emmy.

Holy Slapper and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  7. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Lois and Natalie are the ones having issues.

8. NotNickFury Registered

Glad that Clark didn't pull a "No, it's really my fault" sort of thing and Lois could just let out all of the issues she's been having. Especially given how crabby she was being to, well, everyone.

That said, I do like the idea of Superman's loyalty being questioned. Especially since, as he says, he's the world's hero, not just America's.

9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It was a decent premiere. Didnt blow my head off like the pilot but it managed to maintain the status quo of the show.

I'm not really here for the whole Lois/Natalie drama since we already went through this with her dad so....it's basically repeating itself and adjusting for a mother/daughter relationship vs. husband/wife.

Superman vs. America being a storyline this season is sure to set twitter ablaze since there is a population that believes that Superman should be very America first vs. a gift to the world. But I'm here for it.

I'm assuming that Doomsday was the hand we saw at the end? I would've liked something a bit more than a hand lol.

Shinobi Shaw, Slick and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  10. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Great start. I hope it’s not Doomsday. That’s been overdone.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  11. Orb Lord of Demons

Yup they just confirmed Doomsday. A new take on the character apparently

12. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

I forgot how much I missed this show! Glad to have it back on Tuesday nights.

A solid premiere, Kyle was the MVP of this one. I went from despising him last season to loving him here already. Loved his advice to both Sarah and Clark. I didn't mind the Natalie B plot stuff too much either.

I'm guessing Jonathan's girlfriend was recast? I did not recognize that girl at all and I'm pretty sure they called her Danielle at first and then it switched to Candice for the rest of the episode :funny:

Also, yes! Doomsday! That should be exciting.

flickchick85, Slick and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  13. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Really solid premiere episode IMO and just like the first season I still absolutely love the dysfunctional, family drama in this show even if it takes over a good majority of the episodes.

I don't know why but just hearing the Kent's trying to discuss real stuff like teenage sex with their kids and seeing someone like Clark giving relationship advice is actually pretty cool and interesting to me.

It just furthers the development of these characters and that's the kind of stuff I want to see more of this show. Also, I wish we didn't have to wait a week see if that was really Doomsday at the end or not.

Shinobi Shaw, flickchick85 and Slick like this.
  14. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

They confirmed that it was. We'll see more of him next week and the full reveal in episode 3

15. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Doomsday?!? Goddammit. :(

16. herolee10 No More Miracles

Agreed. Personally, I would have preferred Lex or Brainiac. Plus, didn't Todd promise that this season's new big bad wouldn't be another alien?

17. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I thought he said it wouldn’t be another Kryptonian.

18. herolee10 No More Miracles

Isn't Doomsday Kryptonian as well?

Given Todd's comments about this season's budget being the same, I'm kind of concerned that this will affect the production value that we had last year.

19. flickchick85 Admin of Might

He was made by Kryptonians but he is not a Kryptonian. In the comics, anyway. Who knows about their version.

20. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

I hate myself sometimes.

Dark Raven, 3rdstone and Perfect Cell like this.
  21. Sithborg Registered

Lets be honest. We've got Steel. We've got a Superboy. We've got an Eradicator. It was inevitable. Now, just somehow lure David Harwood back for the final bit, and you've got yerself a Reign of the Supermen.

22. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Oh god. You're right.

23. Slick Yup

Pretty good premiere but didn’t expect Doomsday as the big bad though so we’ll see where they go with it.

24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Ok just now got to watch. So glad to have this show back! A strong premiere, imo.

Glad I was at least right about the Supermen of America aspect of my prediction because I was waaaaaay off with the uh, other stuff. :hehe: Also glad I was right that the "tensions" between Lois and Clark would be a one-episode drama. I thought that was all played very well and didn't really blame any party for how they were acting. It was all pretty understandable to me.

I think it's probably a good thing I was spoiled about the Doomsday bit because I had some time to grow used to the idea before watching, and...I don't hate it. Yes, I'm one of those people who's probably said out loud that if I never see another Doomsday/Death of Superman adaptation in my lifetime it'll still be too many, but dammit, if ever there was one context in which that story should absolutely work, it's one where Superman has been around for 20+ years, the world is maybe taking him for granted or at least has become a little too complacent with his existence, and he has settled down and has a family of his own and a lot to lose. So yeah, I hope this show can handle Doomsday on the FX front (at least it should do better than Smallville, right?!), because I guess I'm saying bring it on. And thanks to @Sithborg 's post, I'm also kinda getting into the idea of a "Reign of the Supermen" arc with this show's versions of those key, well, Supermen. I can get hyped for this for sure.

Also looking forward to Natalie bonding with the Kents. And Supes and Steel taking on Anderson and the DoD.

Sarah totally found a new guy at camp, lol. I like how realistically these high school relationships are played out compared to how it usually goes in the teen dramas. Like, wasn't Jon's love interest at the end of last season (3 months ago) a totally different chick? That cracked me up.