Season 2, Episode 1: "What Lies Beneath" (SEASON PREMIERE - SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Superman & Lois' started by LL2K2, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

Two Clark moments that made me genuinely laugh: when he sat down backwards in the chair to rap with his kids about safe sex, and the reaction he had when Jonathan listened to his girlfriend but not him. He's such a dork.

There were some fun and unique rescue scenes in this one. I thought both the sub rescue and the water tower freezing were done well, and I thought the latter was pretty creative. Turning the falling water into an ice support.

I don't know what to think about Team America or Doomsday. Live-action Doomsday will always give me night terrors, but that's just Smallville trauma. I never really watched Krypton, so I don't know how that one turned out. I'm still cautiously optimistic. At the very least, Doomsday isn't a paramedic in this one. I also kinda get the feeling that Team America is going to get a lot of storytime only to end up as fodder for Doomsday's initial rampage.

2. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

I can see Sarah being written out once she found someone else after this season is over.

3. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah he did that trick in Superman Unchained too (only the structure he was propping up with ice was the Burj Kalifa...with a frozen tsunami of his own making...comics!) and I always thought it was neat.

Also, I think you're spot-on that the Supermen of America are here to basically replace the Justice League in the Doomsday scenario - that is, they're here to get a proper Doomsday whoopin'.

4. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Yep.

Superman pulling a Captain America and saying he isn't just a puppet of the American government despite being an 'American hero' seems like a compelling storyline. His the opposite of Homelander from the Boys.

Not really enthusiastic to see Doomsday again. I'm interested to see some other Superman villains get some like action love.

5. 3rdstone Original Manhunter

A good season opening episode IMO. Good balance between family drama (which was also really funny occassionly, all because being well written and a great cast), and some cool classic Superman rescues and action scenes. Pissing US military off because not bringing a North Korean sub to them, but just going for saving lives and addressing that is classic Superman. I hope they keep Supes relation to the army in this way (it's not about America, it's about the world), and not being just another CW show when the super hero/heroine always had some organisation/back up team they always had to answer to.

Dorky dad-Clark continues to work better than I expected in this show and is always entertaining. I'm also eternally thankful that the brothers despite being different, are close and keep sticking together. I had all kinds of worries about these two in terms of teen clichés and horrible dramas (like being antagonists, one becoming criminal etc, etc) that never really happened, at least yet. So far the "Superman family" concept has been really enjoyable.

Jordan: All right, um, how old were you the first time you, you know?

Clark: Older than both of you.

Jonathan mimicking to Jordan: *Mom*.

:applaud

Never was a fan of Doomsday, for me he's not an interesting and fun antagonist/villian like Braniac, Metallo, Lex, Zod or several other classic ones but just a mindless beast without any personality. But we'll see how he's written here, maybe they can win me over lol. As flickchick mentioned, with this long time experienced Superman it might get more interesting. As long as it's not Smallville bad I'm still pretty ok.. I also hope John Henry Irons eventually will saddle up again to that fight, that would be awesome.

6. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

That completely threw me off. They made it seem like we should have known who she was so I assumed the other girl was just recast, but apparently not? :funny:

7. Arishem Judgy

Is your avatar shopped, or did I miss an episode?

8. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

It's not photoshopped :shrug:

9. Arishem Judgy

Then which episode is it from? I can't remember that shot.

10. O'Haire Awesome

Great return. So stoked it's back.

Season 1 episode 11.

Web-Head and Arishem like this.
  11. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Nope, different name too (the last one was Tegan I believe)! :funny:

Web-Head and Sithborg like this.
  12. 3rdstone Original Manhunter

I usually hate teen drama stuff in super hero shows, but I couldn't help but react when Lana and Kyle asked their daughter how that summer camp was, and only we the audience saw that smile on her face. Of course I instantly went thinking: Poor Jordan.. :csad:

Holy Slapper and Sithborg like this.
  13. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

I just finished it, it was alright, but damn, Doomsday already?? It's only Season 2!

Elizabeth Tulloch really deserves an Emmy, she plays mama bear really well and I love when she gets emotional. Nails every scene.

I'm liking where they're going with Superman and the government and testing where his loyalties lie. That's fun.

I really, really, really hope they don't get weird with Natalie and put her in some type of CW relationship/love triangle with Jordan and Sarah or something. I know she's not of their Earth, but that still would feel incestuous.

But yeah this was a cool premiere.

14. flickchick85 Admin of Might

It’s season 2 of a show that started with a veteran Superman decades into his career, though. That’s how I rationalize it, lol.

15. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Maybe he'll go by Davis Bloom again.

Why would Doomsday be giving Superman an earache?

Hope the Natalie drama doesn't continue with her hating Clark and trying to come between him and Lois.

16. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

I think the storylines they're combining are Doomsday, Reign of the Supermen, and Supermen of America.

17. Sithborg Registered

The thing with Doomsday, is that they were clearly prepping for a Reign of the Supermen story. I mean, Steel and Eradicator, along with a fairly good aproximization of Superboy. And if you are going to kill Superman, are you really not going to use Doomsday? I am somewhat hopeful that we will at least get some of him in the green suit, at least. My big question is, are they going to do Death of Superman mid season, or for the season finale. Not gonna lie, that would be a great season finale, with season 3 starting off with Reign of the Supermen.

Anyway, great season premiere. The Kent family dynamic is still perfect, and is the main reason I watch the show. Clark's reaction to when Jon responded to his girlfriend saying the same thing as him was great. I loved his talk with the boys. They better not chicken out and not give us Lois' talk. :argh::argh:

Kind of surprised where they went with Lois and Nat's initial meeting, but it is a brilliant choice. And really lets Tulloch throw those acting chops at us. I look forward to seeing Natalie bond with the twins.

The Cushing stuff is fine. I don't find it a drag. Feel bad for Jordan though.

I do like where they are going with the DoD and their new supes. And really, capping off this story with Death of Superman is kind of perfect. I do love how Clark is offended that they are using his family crest.

Side note, looks like they have lost the battle with Hoechlin's perma-scruff.

18. Holy Slapper Registered

What if it's a girl?

19. Sithborg Registered

The thought did cross my mind.

20. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Or that!

21. herolee10 No More Miracles

Boy or Girl, it's still weird to end Season 1 with Sarah and Jordan being happy together only for her to have found someone else off screen in the next three months. Also, I wonder why the producers even bothered giving Lana and Kyle a second daughter when we barely see her.

On another note, anyone else thinking that they're slowly setting up for the moment where Superman shares his family's crest with Steel?

22. Sithborg Registered

Kara and Jimmy say hi. I'm also fairly certain the gave the Cushing a second, younger daughter before covid restrictions made it a bit harder.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah I was gonna say, she might not even be allowed on set since she's likely still unvaccinated.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  24. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Not one, YET. :o

I enjoyed the episode. They continue to kill it with the Clark/Superman moments, and Lois is very much the mom and human being at the heart of it all. Also it was nice to see Sarah not completely down for a whole episode! Will have to see where they go with the season plot.

25. herolee10 No More Miracles

Anyone else notice on how Tyler's costume seems to be perfectly fine when he's just standing still but very loose and wrinkled during heavy action/VFX sequences?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]