Jessica Jones Season 2, Episode 13 "AKA Playland"

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Jessica_Jones_213.jpg

Discuss Episode 13 of Season 2, "AKA Playland" here.

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

Last edited:
Oy, that was heartbreaking.

Jessica and Trish were the real villains this season.

Jessica and Trish were the real villains this season.
I'm with ya on Trish, but not Jess. Unless you mean it in a "her own worst enemy" kind of way, which I certainly wouldn't argue with.

Last edited:
I really like how the season ended with a Kant vs. Mill argument.

FYI, Trish was right.

I hate Trish now. Is that really what they were going for this season? When Jessica is the one making the sanest of (a bunch of really horrible) choices, you know something is wrong.

And I would really like it if the cops would stop thinking they can take on enhanced humans. It never works out for them and then they blame the one person who warned them they're way wouldn't work.

I hate Trish now. Is that really what they were going for this season? When Jessica is the one making the sanest of (a bunch of really horrible) choices, you know something is wrong.

And I would really like it if the cops would stop thinking they can take on enhanced humans. It never works out for them and then they blame the one person who warned them they're way wouldn't work.

Honestly, I've always gotten a bad vibe from Trish throughout the entire series. In all of her pursuits towards Jess' origins, she acted like she was doing it for Jessica's benefit but it's obvious she's doing for her own insecure, selfish reasons.

Hard to excuse all of Trish's awful behavior and choices for being a recovering addict, having a horrible mother, and a very rough youth where she was exploited by her mother and the men around her. Including being pimped out to an adult filmmaker as a teen.

Yes, all that happened to her. And maybe that's partially what turned into the person she is now. However, she's still a selfish narcissist. She doesn't want to help people. She wants to help herself.

Most shows you expect hero vs. villain where the hero and villain fight at the end. This wasn't that. I would argue it's better for it. This was a complicated, subdued finale. The time Jess spent with her mother made her subsequent death sad. I like that they lampshaded the Killgrave team up stuff from last season and, more importantly, the callbacks to the car crash to make it seem like mother and daughter could be heroes and help save lives. I will say, when they were talking about border crossings and all that, I was shocked to find out they were still only in West Chester. I know New Yorker City people consider that to be upstate, but they know it's still nowhere near Canada, right?

Hogarth and Malcolm finish their story arcs - Malcolm's is more sad than not, to be honest. I noted that Hogarth was rational and without emotion or loyalty towards Malcolm despite his great effort. This shows just how powerful an impact the con people had, which caused her to relax her guard. I wish we had seen Foggy join the new firm.

Regarding Patsy, oh Patsy, the big thing is what she did. Leaving that aside for a second, I enjoyed the "you used up two of your nine lives" and the ending as hints of Hellcat. Still, the big thing is how she resolved things. If we're saying this isn't the traditional superhero story, that's not the traditional superhero ending. It's very much something that no one can walk back from. Trish killed Jessica's mother. That's a big deal and can't have an easy solution.

Given all that, it's weird that I'm going to say there's a happy ending. At least, it was an optimistic ending. Jess has some closure and something to hold onto. They could end the show now, I suppose. On the other hand, Trish possibly getting powers suggests there's room for Hellcat and, certainly, Jess's ending suggested she could be a bit more of a hero. I'd definitely like to see a season three.

Four and a Half Stars.

Sad story. Jessica has been through so much and her mum only had these violent urges after being experimented on and so much severe mental trauma and brain damage. Malcolm is the only one who seems to have progressed himself much although I hope he's back with JJ at some point next season.

Jessica assisted in the escape of a mass murdering cop-killer, and then...after assaulting her friend who was in critical condition the day before...took credit for the heroic act that her friend did in order to escape jail time.

She's a villain. I'm not saying that I hated the show or that she's not a good character or didn't have "reasons" for why she did what she did etc...but she's a villain.

Once you've had brain damage you don't have full responsibility for your actions. It's not like her mum used to kill people before people started operating and experimenting on her with illegal genetic modification (obviously without the consent of any connected party) after an accident that melted off her face and killed most of her family and left her without access to her daughter who she thought she was dead all this time.

What sort of business is Hogarth getting into? It's a law firm but is there something more to it? Also, Trish showing some sign of power is one of the highlights of the season.

Glad that Trish & Malcolm ended season on high note. Don't care if Jessica ever appears again. Boring character and the excessive drinking is annoying as hell

Jessica assisted in the escape of a mass murdering cop-killer, and then...after assaulting her friend who was in critical condition the day before...took credit for the heroic act that her friend did in order to escape jail time.

She's a villain. I'm not saying that I hated the show or that she's not a good character or didn't have "reasons" for why she did what she did etc...but she's a villain.

...how did you get to this conclusion?

Jess was trying to HELP a victim of physical & psychological abuse.

Folks seem to forget that her mother was IN JAIL prior to Trish's moronic moment.

Trish was the villain. She screwed EVERYTHING up. If not for her:
-Jess & Malcolm would still be on good standing
-Malus would be out of the country and (hopefully) no longer a threat
-Her mother would be in a jail cell and no longer killing people

Glad that Trish & Malcolm ended season on high note. Don't care if Jessica ever appears again. Boring character and the excessive drinking is annoying as hell

Can you enjoy the show if you don't like the main character? (just interested)

Can you enjoy the show if you don't like the main character? (just interested)

Others can probably but Jessica has been annoying me more and more since season 1 and defenders. I only watch because it's marvel at this point.

Others can probably but Jessica has been annoying me more and more since season 1 and defenders. I only watch because it's marvel at this point.

Do you think you'll watch future seasons?

I'm not arguing that Trish is a good guy. When you add this season all up, she was a bad guy who put the mass murdering cop killer down. Both of the lead characters of this show are pretty unlikable at this point.

Yeah...I get that Jessica's mom was brain damaged...but she was making decisions that she KNEW would lead to moments of rage...and I think it was clear that Jessica was not taking her somewhere that could cure her (like, maybe Wakanda). And how long before Jessica would decide that hanging with her mom all day, every day wasn't as fun as getting drunk and hooking up with random people? Then her mom wouldn't have an ineffective babysitter anymore. Plus...the idea that someone can kill a bunch of people, including a cop...and then just go on with their life because...you know...the star of the show is her daughter...is absurd. None of you would actually support that kind of thing outside of your fandom.

Last edited:
This show asked hard questions intentionally. We see characters we like doing very morally questionable things and asks us if this was ok. I personally am not okay with Jessica's actions. I am inclined to think she participated in criminal behavior and should be punished for it. But, I absolutely can see why. At the end of the day, this was her mother. People will go out of their way to keep their family safe, even if said family has done awful things. Mothers of mass murderers cry when the guilty verdict is rendered, etc. The bond of family is strong, particularly if you spent 17 years without your mother and now suddenly she is there. This is the mother Jessica thought she no longer had, despite all the negative baggage she was bringing on Jessica (which mirrors Patsy's relationship and loyalty she has to Dorothy when she really shouldn't).

I love that the ending didn't come down to simple fisticuffs or normal hero vs villain power dynamics. I mean, I love superheroes and that is what happens in superhero stories largely, but I do appreciate when something deviates from the norm and does it well.

I can see a lot of people unhappy with where the story went, and that it made them uncomfortable. That was exactly the intent: make us question our own moral code.

Now that I am a day removed from finishing the season, I find it growing on me more in my mind. We'll see how it does on rewatches.

I'm glad we had a season like that, but season 3 can be time for JJ to do some simpler more straightforward stuff rather than being taken to Hell and back every season.

I'm glad we had a season like that, but season 3 can be time for JJ to do some simpler more straightforward stuff rather than being taken to Hell and back every season.

I think season 3 no doubt has to be more "superhero"ish. The ending set it up for us to move on from Jessica's past and her baggage as she builds a new life. I think with Jessica no longer being hamstrung by her past, and the emergence of Patsy as Hellcat, Season 3 will probably be about what it means to be a superhero (as Patsy and Jessica seem to have differing moral codes, and that will put them at odds).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"