Season 2, Episode 5: "Girl...You'll Be a Woman, Soon" (SPOILERS)

So... X-K is the opposite of Green K? I'm not sure I get that one, but I'd love to hear others thoughts...

Back in the day (Silver Age?), “blue kryptonite” was Bizarro’s weakness. I.e., blue affected Bizarro the same way as green affected Supes. In this iteration, it seems X-kryptonite is doing double-duty.

This ep didn't do it for me, sadly-- it just all felt pretty... CW'ish.

- Ally's story is promising, and that actor (not to mention, her hair/makeup/wardrobe team) are doing a great job.
- I like Jon's story so far, it's only natural that he'd start to feel at least a little envious.
- They've fallen into the Smallville thing of having Clark superspeed appear in and disappear from scenes as the standard (and I'm sure L&C probably did it too), which I find... grating when it's done too much per ep.
- Ah, an abandoned warehouse, the old staple... second half of that fight was cool though, from flame breath onwards.
- Man, in broad terms, this season's plotlines are very... S1'ish.
- I usually end up invested in the Cushing story by the end of each ep, but for most of the runtime, it just feels way too disconnected from everything else.
- Bit contrived/convenient that Lana would invite Mayor Dean to Sarah's party, and why the hell was Chrissy there? Just after her transformative experience, bopping along to music at her at a strangers party, delivers some earth shattering news only when prompted, goes back to bopping?

Back in the day (Silver Age?), “blue kryptonite” was Bizarro’s weakness. I.e., blue affected Bizarro the same way as green affected Supes. In this iteration, it seems X-kryptonite is doing double-duty.

Yeah exactly, that's why it was a head scratcher. I'm just not sure why Clark's brain would go straight to X-K... but I guess at that point anything would be worth a go :funny:

I'm so curious about Allys Parasite connection. Like is she so powerful in the other world cause what she's doing on this earth is somehow draining energy from people? The pendant clearly has some kind of power draining ability or Clarks hands wouldn't have been turning black in the fight on the farm.

And I get the impression maybe bizzaro looks the way he does because of Ally.

This ep didn't do it for me, sadly-- it just all felt pretty... CW'ish.

- Ally's story is promising, and that actor (not to mention, her hair/makeup/wardrobe team) are doing a great job.
- I like Jon's story so far, it's only natural that he'd start to feel at least a little envious.
- They've fallen into the Smallville thing of having Clark superspeed appear in and disappear from scenes as the standard (and I'm sure L&C probably did it too), which I find... grating when it's done too much per ep.
- Ah, an abandoned warehouse, the old staple... second half of that fight was cool though, from flame breath onwards.
- Man, in broad terms, this season's plotlines are very... S1'ish.
- I usually end up invested in the Cushing story by the end of each ep, but for most of the runtime, it just feels way too disconnected from everything else.
- Bit contrived/convenient that Lana would invite Mayor Dean to Sarah's party, and why the hell was Chrissy there? Just after her transformative experience, bopping along to music at her at a strangers party, delivers some earth shattering news only when prompted, goes back to bopping?

Those are very good points, especially with Candice not being invited because their wasn't enough room :funny: unless the secret truth is Sarah dislikes her?

I mean I can kind of get Chrissy being there as it is Lois barn so she might have been able to invite her business partner to a party happening there,

But the Dean? Invited to Sarah's event? After there was threat he was sniffing around Sarah's past?

:loco:

We all know that Lana did not mean to imply "and Sophie isn't" when she described Sarah as her best friend, but I can imagine how that would go over with the younger daughter who is trying so hard to be stoic and flawless.

We all know that Lana did not mean to imply "and Sophie isn't" when she described Sarah as her best friend, but I can imagine how that would go over with the younger daughter who is trying so hard to be stoic and flawless.

:funny::funny::funny:

Is there an acceptable way to write her off the show? Like could she get a place in some fabulous school and go stay with an aunt or something?

The moments where she is there feel so awkward and then those big moments when she's noticeably not are tainted by 'wheres the other one in all this?'

Is there an acceptable way to write her off the show? Like could she get a place in some fabulous school and go stay with an aunt or something?

The moments where she is there feel so awkward and then those big moments when she's noticeably not are tainted by 'wheres the other one in all this?'
I wonder if Sophie's lack of a storyline so far is an ominous sign that something bad is going to happen to her. I think she's been trying to be strong, for the sake of the family, in the way that she believes her sister was not. Now that the family looks like it's about to fall apart anyway, that could break a person.

When a superhero has to urgently or dramatically exit a scene, I suppose there’s an expectation that “superpowers” will be used. Use ‘em if you got ‘em. :cwink: Batman, for example, often just “mysteriously vanishes” (Ninja style). And with Superman (or Supergirl or the Flash), superspeed seems to be the preferred mode. Otherwise, the hero has to just walk out of the room like any ordinary joe — an underwhelming (and perhaps even goofy) visual. That said, I agree that the “superspeed exit” is a tad overused in these shows and comes across as cheap and (too?) convenient. Though… that’s probably why the trope is so often employed, VFX-wise: cheapness and convenience.

I wonder if Sophie's lack of a storyline so far is an ominous sign that something bad is going to happen to her. I think she's been trying to be strong, for the sake of the family, in the way that she believes her sister was not. Now that the family looks like it's about to fall apart anyway, that could break a person.

How has she been trying to be strong?

I can't imagine they'd kill her off. Seems too brutal... but I could be wrong!

How has she been trying to be strong?

I can't imagine they'd kill her off. Seems too brutal... but I could be wrong!

Everyone in the family would have been in a lot of pain after Sarah’s suicide attempt. Even if Sophie didn’t know the details, she would have known that Mom and Dad were very distressed about something Sarah had done. That could lead to Sophie becoming stoic the way she is, out of desperation to avoid causing the family more pain.

Sophie might even blame Sarah if their parents split up, if Kyle started going to that bar when things were tense at home.

When a superhero has to urgently or dramatically exit a scene, I suppose there’s an expectation that “superpowers” will be used. Use ‘em if you got ‘em. :cwink: Batman, for example, often just “mysteriously vanishes” (Ninja style). And with Superman (or Supergirl or the Flash), superspeed seems to be the preferred mode. Otherwise, the hero has to just walk out of the room like any ordinary joe — an underwhelming (and perhaps even goofy) visual. That said, I agree that the “superspeed exit” is a tad overused in these shows and comes across as cheap and (too?) convenient. Though… that’s probably why the trope is so often employed, VFX-wise: cheapness and convenience.
I don’t mind Clark leaving the barn that way, but sonic booms and hurricane-force wind inside hospitals and military installations could cause a lot of damage.

Everyone in the family would have been in a lot of pain after Sarah’s suicide attempt. Even if Sophie didn’t know the details, she would have known that Mom and Dad were very distressed about something Sarah had done. That could lead to Sophie becoming stoic the way she is, out of desperation to avoid causing the family more pain.

Sophie might even blame Sarah if their parents split up, if Kyle started going to that bar when things were tense at home.

I just don't see her as stoic. All she does is complain.

But I think its fair to say Sarah's suicide attempt would have effected her.

I just don't see her as stoic. All she does is complain.

But I think its fair to say Sarah's suicide attempt would have effected her.

Yeah, "withdrawn" or "reserved" is probably closer to what I was thinking when I wrote "stoic". She seems to be clamping down (with limited success) on her emotions, and that's probably easier to do with the happy emotions if she's really stressed out about something.

Anyway, I'm just agreeing that it seems strange to have a character with a speaking role who hasn't yet had a plot role, and for whom the other characters have to make excuses for the audience's benefit when she's not around.

Well, finally able to catch up after the emotional wringer of binging Jessica Jones.

First, just because they are avoiding the hassles involved with using a younger actress does not mean they are planning on killing the character. jfc

Good episode. Like where they are going with Bizarro and Allston. Though, not gonna lie, my first thought when I saw the pendant was "Eclipso again?". The pendant is way, way too similar to Stargirl's Black Diamond.

Enjoyed the fight, and seeing the fire breath and ice beams. And good lord, I do adore the Bizarro theme. Just wonderfully upsetting.

Forgot to mention one thing about the Ally plot this episode that did bug me a little: if Chrissy had the same experience as Lucy and Ally's other followers, why was her reaction so different? She's not suddenly under her thrall like the rest of the cult. On the contrary, she finds her even more dangerous now. Hopefully they'll clarify this in a future ep.

I suspect that Lois showing up and then Bizarro interruption may have interrupted the wash cycle. Allston may be able to convert people into followers, or even just convince them to be believers, when they are still confused from the trip.

1. Kyle is the dumbest man to ever live.

2. Dorky Clark at the party is my new spirit animal.

3. I really like their Bizarro.

4. I'm pulling for the roid freak over Jordan. :o

5. Kyle is so ****ing stupid.

Also it's pretty crazy that I recently watched a cult flick about out of body experiences with Emmanuelle, that is strikingly similar to the cult plot on the show.

FNCpERNXMAAzEh4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"