Daredevil Season 3, Episode 7 "Aftermath" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F849401%2Fe8b0a60b-672f-4480-bf20-079faf336ac1.jpg

Discuss Episode 7 "Aftermath" here.

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

Last edited:
Well I definitely wasn't expecting that.
That little fight between Matt and Melvin was actually kind of awesome too.
Didn't know that guy had skills, but it's nice seeing them be so creative with these hand to hand fights. Kudos to these creators for stepping their game up with these action sequences man.

Melvin is strong as ****. :funny:

Melvin fought Daredevil in the first season as well so we've seen that he's incredibly strong. It was a good fight though and the show is not only producing great action scenes but they also have plenty of their own identity.

Only spoilers after this episode need to be tagged. Using spoiler code makes me afraid to click on your posts ;)

When Wilson Fisk asked Melvin Potter to make a Daredevil costume in the comics, the Matt Murdock who was around told him to do it. This was because we were at a later point in the story after Matt had hit rock bottom and come back. And we started to see the more protective, forgiving Matt that this show so rarely has. In that story, Matt was saying that it was OK, do what he had to do because Matt would make it alright. Ultimately, one of the most powerful messages of Born Again is forgiveness. Matt forgives everyone and makes it better.

We're not at that point in this show. I'm always worried we'll never be. However, as a character moment, the sense of shame that Matt felt when Melvin got arrested is a great one. It was great seeing Melvin fighting for him there. It was also cool seeing him fighting with a buzzsaw blade while wearing that distinctive shirt (even if the fan in me wants to see a full Gladiator costume). He's trying to be a harsher Daredevil that leaves that behind (I really do think there are a lot of Fall From Grace comparisons to this story). But there are moments where you get the sense of the better, nobler person underneath. It's also worth pointing out that he went to turn himself in wearing that gold cross Sister Maggie left for him.

The FBI have to know they're in too deep right now. To their credit, they used the word "hearsay" correctly. None of Evans's statements would be admissible unless the FBI can first prove that Fisk had him murdered to prevent him from testifying. But I don't think going as planned with Fisk helps his cause.

I have to wonder if Fisk anticipated Matt going to Nadeem. It feels the next obvious choice (and, frankly, one likely to backfire). If Fisk planned for every other contingency, this one seems on the list. I feel bad for Nadeem and his family.

Four and a Half Stars.

Ah, I always feel sorry for Melvin. :csad:

The problem with this being after Defenders is, since Matt thinks he can't take Bullseye on why won't he just go to Luke Cage or Danny?

I know, we want to have the showdown between them but that would be the most logical step.

I felt sorry for Melvin. But that fight was cool.

I was kinda “Eh...” on Karen losing her job because it’s not like her knowing who Daredevil would help anyone. All they would know is who wasn’t the person that attacked the office and that’s all of NYC except one person.

Very interested in what Foggy found.

He knows he can't reach them because they are cancelled. ;)

He could sense Thanos’ snap coming.

Really Karen? Fisk is after you and you have no one to turn to? Someone you might have gotten really close to? Someone who also hates Fisk and also happens to be the Grim Reaper of organized crime?

How did Fisk get that lair with secret door in the hotel? That didn't happen just from negotiating with the FBI.

If I remember correctly, I think Fisk's bank owned the building. Karen Page mentioned it to her boss earlier in the series.

NGL, for a sec or so, I thought Ray would laugh at Matt’s face when he said that the faux Daredevil is with the FBI. :funny:

Really Karen? Fisk is after you and you have no one to turn to? Someone you might have gotten really close to? Someone who also hates Fisk and also happens to be the Grim Reaper of organized crime?

I suppose she doesn’t want a bigger bloodbath because let’s face it, Frank’s way of handling that would’ve been to rain bullets on everyone. But yeah, it’s weird that there was no mention of him making contact considering everything that’s happening.

If I remember correctly, I think Fisk's bank owned the building. Karen Page mentioned it to her boss earlier in the series.

Right. I suppose he had that built or he knew it had that and that’s why he bought it in the first place. What I’m wondering is why the FBI picked that of all the hotels. Was that part of his deal? Also, why was his location even made public? Shouldn’t the location of informants/house arrests be in secret?

Last edited:
I felt sorry for Melvin. But that fight was cool.

I hope we'll get the Gladiator in Season 4. I want Melvin to be sick and tired of being taken advantage of and Fisk constantly threatening Betsy, that he finally suits up.

Assuming he's still doing that (I wouldn't guarantee it after the end of his show), does she know where he is right now?

And even if he's wearing the skull vest again, who knows where he is. He could have been busy trying not to get killed.

Melvin! Always good to see him.

Things are really progressing and I enjoyed the conversation between Nadeem and Fisk about "Jiggy" and his conversation with Daredevil.

Onto episode 8

I had strong Feelings Nadeems Family will be killed here but the Show surprises me again.
Great Episode again, my highlight of every day after work.

I mean, if we were treating this as the real world, yeah it makes no sense. But honestly, this complaint about comic book properties is, to put it plainly, immensely silly.

We know exactly why Punisher didn't show up in this. It's not his story. It's the same reason that we don't see the Avengers, Spider-man, the Defenders, Fantastic Four, and every other freakin' superhero in NYC show up in every X-men comic when the X-men respond to a threat in the city. The story isn't about all those heroes, and including all of them would muddle the story people want to tell. What's more, it would also increase the budget to have the stars of all the other respective series always showing up in the other series to play large roles.

It's just part of the storytelling medium. Because, honestly, I don't want them to try to approach it logically, because I don't want to see all the other leads butting in to the other series' constantly. They should only be there if the story calls for it, and this was Daredevil's story, not Daredevil and Punisher's. It's a necesary suspension of disbelief because otherwise the dramatic tension would be drastically undercut.

I mean, if we were treating this as the real world, yeah it makes no sense. But honestly, this complaint about comic book properties is, to put it plainly, immensely silly.

We know exactly why Punisher didn't show up in this. It's not his story. It's the same reason that we don't see the Avengers, Spider-man, the Defenders, Fantastic Four, and every other freakin' superhero in NYC show up in every X-men comic when the X-men respond to a threat in the city. The story isn't about all those heroes, and including all of them would muddle the story people want to tell. What's more, it would also increase the budget to have the stars of all the other respective series always showing up in the other series to play large roles.

It's just part of the storytelling medium. Because, honestly, I don't want them to try to approach it logically, because I don't want to see all the other leads butting in to the other series' constantly. They should only be there if the story calls for it, and this was Daredevil's story, not Daredevil and Punisher's. It's a necesary suspension of disbelief because otherwise the dramatic tension would be drastically undercut.

It would be undercut because Frank would just go into that hotel and shoot Fisk. And yeah, the Punisher may be a recurring character in the Daredevil comics, but he's not in every Daredevil comic. His appearances there should be treated like an event.

It would be undercut because Frank would just go into that hotel and shoot Fisk. And yeah, the Punisher may be a recurring character in the Daredevil comics, but he's not in every Daredevil comic. His appearances there should be treated like an event.
Well, he'd try, and likely fail, because they ain't killing Kingpin anytime soon.

See, this is the problem with trying to apply some real world logic to these worlds, when that real world logic clearly will hamper the story. Sure, we can go, "why don't they bring Punisher in," but a further exploration of this logic would be, "how the frick are Frank Castle or Matt Murdock still alive when they clearly should be dead by now?"

The answer to both these questions is the same: because there would be no story. Adding Frank to this season would have muddled the story, that's why he wasn't included. Not having characters show up when they clearly would is a convention comics have been using for years. And it's a necessary one if we want decent stories to be told. And you're right, we want the crossover moments to feel special, and this convention helps maintain that.

The FBI have to know they're in too deep right now. To their credit, they used the word "hearsay" correctly. None of Evans's statements would be admissible unless the FBI can first prove that Fisk had him murdered to prevent him from testifying. But I don't think going as planned with Fisk helps his cause.

Four and a Half Stars.

Makes you wonder why Matt and Karen didn't stop to have Evans make a preliminary recording of his testimony in a place they knew Fisk wouldn't think to look (like the church), before taking him to the Bulletin?

I do really feel that Matt should have been Karen's lawyer for when she was questioned by the FBI, instead of Foggy. In fact, they should've had it where Foggy was in the hospital with a concussion from when Dex knocked him out.

I was kinda “Eh...” on Karen losing her job because it’s not like her knowing who Daredevil would help anyone. All they would know is who wasn’t the person that attacked the office and that’s all of NYC except one person.

I kinda wish Matt had been with her for that scene. I would've loved to see Matt maybe decide to out himself to Ellison and swear him to secrecy if it means Karen keeps her job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"