Supergirl Season 3 NEWS & DISCUSSION Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ok....I think I've done a pretty good job of muting most that needed muting. But there are some stragglers.

Yes, Floriana has posted about it, and in many of the replies there is a lot of support for her decision. In others it is alot of support for her decision but they know for sure that it was not her doing....lol, those horrible people at the CW just do not like gay people.

Isn't Berlanti (or whoever oversees the whole Arrowverse) gay?

Maybe Floriana didn't like a part that often amounted to little more than a love interest for someone who isn't even the main character, with not too much to do.

Isn't Berlanti (or whoever oversees the whole Arrowverse) gay?

Maybe Floriana didn't like a part that often amounted to little more than a love interest for someone who isn't even the main character, with not too much to do.

Ali Adler is also Gay. She and Sara Gilbert have two children together, one by each.

Just for the love of all thing's sacred, don't kill Maggie off. Make her recurring, have her move to another town, etc.

And no, I don't think that the writers hate gay people. Heck the Alex/Maggie thing was one of the most consistently well-written (not perfectly so, but good overall) storylines last season.

Also if Floriana is dissatisfied with her role on the show, that's kind of on the writers anyway. With how her character is set up, there's no reason why she cannot be doing other things besides just being Alex's GF. The writers just don't seem to know how to give these supporting characters other stuff to do most of the time it would seem.

Isn’t the concern based on the “bury your gays” trope? Now, Maggie probably isn’t going to be killed off. But breaking up a happy gay couple is the next worse thing.

Of course, this being a more-or-less typical CW/Berlanti soap opera, romances are like musical chairs: everyone - eventually - suffers a breakup. :o But (somewhat understandably) there’s extra scrutiny on gay characters and how their relationships are depicted.

It is impossible to make every fanbase happy....but IMO, you should at the least do your best to keep your core fanbase, that fanbase that has been here since the pilot somewhat happy for the most part. This is a story about Kara Zor-el from Krypton and her adopted family Alex. That is the base from which every thing should happen. The base "places" where all of this happens is Catco, the DEO and Kara's apartment. Whomever comes into Kara's life should and will get the majority of the screen time, those people that are closest to her. That being Alex, Cat, Jonn, Winn, James (not Guardian) JAMES, Mon-el and Lena. Not necessarily in that order all the time, whatever the story line needs. HOWEVER, KARA/SUPERGIRL should be at the center of each of those. Now we know that Calista will not be a main cast member again this next season, and that is ok with me,and I'm a huge Cat fan...Now, IMO, if they do those episodes like that did last year where it focuses on 1 of the characters back stories yet still keeps Kara at the center, then cool....I wasn't a huge fan of "Child's Play" but the dynamics of the story were fantastic, I loved "Stranger from another planet" I thought it was beautifully written, beautifully acted and one of the best of both seasons. In both we learned so much about Winn and Jonn, and yet in both Kara was front and center. This season we have not had that, anytime it was another character centered episode that character took front and center and we barely had Kara in the episode. The episodes themselves were not bad at all, "City Of Lost Children" was not a bad episode at all, it simply didn't have Kara in it....(now I know that part of that I'm sure was Melissa not being on set possibly), but it is her show, and therefore all 22-23 episodes she should be front and center. We got that in "Luthors", we got it (I didn't think so at first, but with more viewings) in "Darkest Places" with the big introduction of Guardian. So, next season I hope they don't try to continue 4 to 5 different story lines in every single episode. It got really tiring to watch and keep up with, and it seemed like some of the plots were just thrown in so that we could see this couple or that couple. ie: Lyra and Winn....don't like it, it needs to go.

Bottom line is this, there is going to be a "shipping" group that is pissed off, plain and simple. I think they are realizing this. But for #Sanvers shippers to think that Maggie is going to garner more screen time, and that Floriana is happy to hang out in Vancouver for a scene here or there is "floating down the river of de"Nile"..." To me I would much rather have a few episodes maybe 3 that follow the line of "Alex". With Guardian, it IMO would be very hard to give Maggie much in the way of the "street wise crime fighter". I actually think that is sad, I would much rather have that scenario, but alas that isn't one of the big changes. I think the #Sanvers bunch needs to be happy with what they will receive, because it is a bad place of a lot more than the #Supercorp shippers are going to get.
They will never get the big change of a Kara/Lena lovefest, and unfortunately for this series they are extremely loud and extremely rude. And unfortunately we will probably have to weather that hurricane. The next BIG CHANGE I hope we get is that Mon-el is a full fledged superhero, he and Kara can have a happy reunion, and even a couple of Legion centered episodes, but may they have their lovey times together few and far between. :) I actually think the #Karamel shippers would be ok with that. Though there are a few that won't, for the most part I think they will be fine.

Isn’t the concern based on the “bury your gays” trope? Now, Maggie probably isn’t going to be killed off. But breaking up a happy gay couple is the next worse thing.

Of course, this being a more-or-less typical CW/Berlanti soap opera, romances are like musical chairs: everyone - eventually - suffers a breakup. :o But (somewhat understandably) there’s extra scrutiny on gay characters and how their relationships are depicted.

Totally understand that, but Alex can break up as a Lesbian, still being a happy single Lesbian for awhile, and maybe even finding love elsewhere or a bad place of alot of fun as a single woman. If they were killing Alex off, I could see their side, but they aren't.

Just for the love of all thing's sacred, don't kill Maggie off. Make her recurring, have her move to another town, etc.

And no, I don't think that the writers hate gay people. Heck the Alex/Maggie thing was one of the most consistently well-written (not perfectly so, but good overall) storylines last season.

Also if Floriana is dissatisfied with her role on the show, that's kind of on the writers anyway. With how her character is set up, there's no reason why she cannot be doing other things besides just being Alex's GF. The writers just don't seem to know how to give these supporting characters other stuff to do most of the time it would seem.

Why does she need to move to another town at all? Lyla doesn't do that with Diggle. She is recurring. She isn't just Diggle's wife either, or staying at home looking after the baby. She has her own life and no-one complains that she doesn't appear in every episode. She probably appeared in far fewer episodes than Maggie did, and yet she feels like she has just as much of a presence.

Why does she need to move to another town at all? Lyla doesn't do that with Diggle. She is recurring. She isn't just Diggle's wife either, or staying at home looking after the baby. She has her own life and no-one complains that she doesn't appear in every episode. She probably appeared in far fewer episodes than Maggie did, and yet she feels like she has just as much of a presence.

IF Maggie turns into a Lyla type character, you will have bad place to pay from the #Sanvers shippers. They do not want that kind of relationship. Comparing these relationships at this point is like comparing apples and car parts.

You either move Maggie away, and allow Alex to find love with someone else that will hopefully be much more involved, and an actor that doesn't mind less screen time and say to the fans, this "is what it is..." or you talk Floriana into being ok with the above scenario and staying on. A "Diggle" relationship will not make that fanbase happy in the slightest.

IF Maggie turns into a Lyla type character, you will have bad place to pay from the #Sanvers shippers. They do not want that kind of relationship. Comparing these relationships at this point is like comparing apples and car parts.

You either move Maggie away, and allow Alex to find love with someone else that will hopefully be much more involved, and an actor that doesn't mind less screen time and say to the fans, this "is what it is..." or you talk Floriana into being ok with the above scenario and staying on. A "Diggle" relationship will not make that fanbase happy in the slightest.

But the shippers want a Sanvers and SuperCorp relationship to take over the whole show. They probably would like the show to be about nothing else but the lesbian relationships, turning this into a superhero version of the L Word.

Why do they have to appease the shippers anyway? That's how we got Olicity in Arrow.

Lyla is not any less empowered or her own person than Maggie. We don't need to catch up with the lesbians in every episode.

They really moved at lightning speed with Alex/Maggie. If anything I would be ok if they had the two eventually end the relationship in S3 and let Alex actually date around.

The problem with Flarrowgirl-verse is that they have that OTP and they mainly stick to it to a T. They dont even bother trying to allow the characters grow with someone else before getting back with their OTP.

I love Maggie and they did a decent job with the character but I'm not opposed to having Alex date around and bringing Maggie back later to finally reunite them.

It's interesting how these micro-fandoms develop.

I used to think of 'shipping as mostly something fans did on their own, but I guess with the prominence of social media, lobbying creators to focus on certain relationships has become increasingly common.

I hope they don't try too hard to satisfy fans with very specific expectations, but focus on larger issues, such as the lead character having a stronger arc in season 3.

My own experiences don't really allow me to relate directly to something like Alex coming out, but it felt genuine to me, and it fits thematically with Kara's experiences of alienation, desire for acceptance, and so on.

So I think there is room for this material to be a positive part of the show moving forward, just not as a center-piece, or as something that needs to be touched on in every episode.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why Alex should marry the first and only girl she dated? I'm not a Sanvers shipper but I think even for couples that I do ship, I prefer to see them with someone else at least once even if it's to reinforce that the person is wrong for them.

And if Floriana is looking for other opportunities and finds a great one in Los Angeles, they might have to end the relationship permanently. So it might be better to prepare for that. I think there's a difference between someone that's always been hired as recurring like Lyla, than one who purposely downgrades to seek other opportunities.

The problem is, I doubt that any future LI of Alex's would get much more to do than Maggie does. I mean if they couldn't find more stuff for a character who's a FREAKING COP to do outside of the romantic stuff, then I doubt that any other GF of Alex's will fare any better.

So you have essentially the same problem all over again. Also I don't see anyone really complaining about Lyla's role on Arrow much, so Dark Raven suggestion could potentially work.

I wouldn't object if neither Alex nor Kara had no romantic relationships in season 3. Arrow seemed a lot better this season because they for the most part ditched the romance drama. Flash was worse because it was all about Iris.

The problem is, I doubt that any future LI of Alex's would get much more to do than Maggie does. I mean if they couldn't find more stuff for a character who's a FREAKING COP to do outside of the romantic stuff, then I doubt that any other GF of Alex's will fare any better.

So you have essentially the same problem all over again. Also I don't see anyone really complaining about Lyla's role on Arrow much, so Dark Raven suggestion could potentially work.

This is it. What are these shippers expecting? It's as if they want it to entirely dominate the show. And on top of that they want Kara and Lena to get together as well. It's as if these shippers would be entirely content if there's no super heroics going on, but it's completely a show focused on the romantic side of things with them going on dates, having relationship dramas, etc. How does that then become any different to the L-Word?

If that's the case, then they might as well ship Cat and the President, Miss Martian and Winn's girlfriend, Chyler's mother/ Jeremiah's wife with Lena Luthor etc. Depower Kara and everyone can just be in their little shipping bubble.

Arrow was much better this year when it didn't focus on relationships. They could really do with toning that down in Supergirl. If they still want Chyler to be in a relationship, just go the Diggle/Lyla route with Maggie.

And Floriana was in a recurring role in Lethal Weapon this year. I'm pretty sure that films in Los Angeles. Yet she was also still able to do Supergirl as part of the regular cast. Unless she gets a main role in another series, she could still go back and forth as she has done this year between the two cities. I still see her appearing in Lethal Weapon's flashbacks next year. Heck in Lethal Weapon she's had almost as much of a presence as Lyla in Arrow even if she didn't appear in every episode.

The only way for a lesbian relationship to take centre stage each week is for the main character to be the one in that kind of relationship. Chyler is just a side character, and her love interest is even more minor. The only way to do it is to forget about Chyler, and turn Kara and Lena into the lesbian couple. But only the shippers want that.

Last edited:

Which might satisfy another actress who might see it as a side gig. I just don't think the production needs to hold on to an actress who wants to leave.

Which might satisfy another actress who might see it as a side gig. I just don't think the production needs to hold on to an actress who wants to leave.

But Lethal Weapon was just a side gig for Floriana. She could just treat Supergirl as the side gig next year and do the same with that. And of course, it all depends on whether she actually gets any other work. If she doesn't, then she can't really afford to be too choosy.

It's not anti gay or sexist to break up a lesbian couple (Alex and Maggie), Jesus I've heard it all now.

It's ok....I think I've done a pretty good job of muting most that needed muting. But there are some stragglers.
Well, maybe Alex will hook up with Lena causing all the shippers' heads to explode and they'd no longer be a problem. :sly:

Well, maybe Alex will hook up with Lena causing all the shippers' heads to explode and they'd no longer be a problem. :sly:

You are the smartest bestest person there has ever been FC.

Totally understand that, but Alex can break up as a Lesbian, still being a happy single Lesbian for awhile, and maybe even finding love elsewhere or a bad place of alot of fun as a single woman. If they were killing Alex off, I could see their side, but they aren't.
This is the problem with having the one gay character as a main cast member imo. Because this usually means the only other gay character on the show is the one they are dating. So once they break up, suddenly you have cut your gay character count in half, because they never stick around.

:hmm runs to come up with a shipper name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"