Supergirl Season 4, Episode 1: "The American Alien" (SEASON PREMIERE; SPOILERS)

I can't tell if Kara is just bad at her job today or being incredibly naive and stubborn not to realize the trend in anti-alien attacks. She's smart enough to put two and two together, so this just feels like a slight step backwards. Though by episode's end, she'll have learned a lesson and change her tune, I'm sure.

Yeah, she and J'onn have had this conversation back in S1, when talking about him coming out as a Martian being different from how it is for her. So she's just regressing for the sake of the writers getting their soapbox.

Guess we'll be meeting Bruno Mannheim this season.

Yeah this whole anti-Alien thing already bores me. These writers just arent talented enough to tackle this kind of storyline in an interesting or meaningful manor.

It is something he doesnt seem to happy about either given some of his interviews last year about being bored,
I thought they had him leave the DEO for this very reason, so I have to wonder if he was consulted on their new plans for him, lol.

Britney-Haynes-Cringe-Big-Brother.gif

Now J'onn is a pacifist who wont help protect the very people he's been concerned about this entire episode? Why do the writers hate J'onn??

Annnnd they just had to make Mercy less interesting.

Cadmus whole storyline was their hate for Aliens, why are we going back to this motive for the big bad?

Brainie is single white male-ing Winn.

This scene I am just sitting here and wondering how many different glasses Melissa had to try on before they settled on the right ones.

Que break up drama in....

Last edited:
Weird how James finds out his fate on the news. Wouldn't someone notify him?

Perhaps James should ask Oliver for advice on being a vigilante after the city learns your identity.

Perhaps James should ask Oliver for advice on being a vigilante after the city learns your identity.

What? Lie lie lie, send your friends to pretend to be you, then get off only to turn yourself in and go to jail for a year? lol

It'd give James more to do than whatever he's doing now, so yeah.

So...not my favorite season premiere, that's for sure. My concerns about the overall direction of this season taking on "real world issues" so far seem well-founded. Because that's one thing these writers have always sucked at, and if we're in for a whole season of that...yikes.

The entire anti-alien storyline, and J'onn's part in it pretty much sucked. However, the other parts I did enjoy:

-As I said, Nia's doing a bit much at the moment, but overall she's alright and I feel like she'll mellow out as the season goes on.
-It was great seeing Kara so upbeat, and I love her getting a proper mentor role. She's come a long way...so I'll ignore how naive and obtuse she was being in the other storyline for the moment and focus on that, lol.
-Glad they finally decided to send Superman off-world for a while to account for his perpetual absence in the bigger events AND the dealt with the fact that he was left out of the Argo plot. Way to kill two birds with one stone, show!
-I still pretty much love all things Brainy, especially his new dynamic with Alex.
-Lena being shady while trying to do something good - at least she's consistent. Hopefully this lie is the beginning of the end of her relationship with James because that has never worked. I was just glad to see her still playing games (literally and figuratively) with mommy dearest, lol. Lillian is always a welcome sight for me.
-So maybe it's just wishful thinking, but the way Mitra delivered the line "I love...my country" makes me think Mercy doesn't give a crap about Agent Liberty's crusade and has her own agenda. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of Mercy. Her fight with Alex was good and Mitra is perfect for the role.
-Connecting Kara's train save in Kaznia to the Russian Doppelganger was a nice touch.

New writers and director next week. Hoping for the best.

Last edited:
I want to know if there will be a variation of 'Make America Great Again' uttered on Supergirl. This feels exactly the kind of show that would go for that right now, especially with what these new villains have in store. Sure, Black Lightning already did it, but again, Supergirl likes to stay relevant with current political affairs, so I wouldn't be surprised if this show had its own take on that.

Oh, I forgot to mention another positive: They seem to have written themselves an out for Guardian. Huzzah! May we never waste time with that storyline again.

Premiere feels different. Kara has been on Earth for a long time to see that there are anti-alien sentiments happening.

Kara’s double connected with the train is a nice one.

Mercy learned a lot from Lex. Great to see both President Marsden and Lillian in this one.

Brainiac 5 and Nia Nal have integrated well in the cast. J’onn’s new passive viewpoint is at odds with Kara here.

Agent Liberty is on the verge of being as scary as Michael Myers.

No more Guardian. They addressed Superman, Sam, and Ruby.

Nia's a bit much...but I remember thinking the exact same about Kara in early eps of S1, so intended effect achieved, I guess.
I don't remember Kara being so fidgety like that. More nerdy and awkward. I don't think Kara acted like Cat later either.
I kind of wish that Aliens werent already soooo integrated into this world when the show began so they could tackle that storyline better.
In the Pilot Winn was trying to convince Kara that aliens were real, like they weren't public knowledge.

Last edited:
I don't remember Kara being so fidgety like that. More nerdy and awkward. I don't think Kara acted like Cat later either.In the Pilot Winn was trying to convince Kara that aliens were real, like they weren't public knowledge.
We just have to kind of disregard the pilot in terms of worldbuilding canon - which is common for a lot of shows as changes usually get made there once a pilot gets ordered to series, sometimes major changes, sometimes small. Because obviously we find out a couple episodes after the pilot that everyone knows that Superman is an alien and all about Krypton's story, so that comment from Kara didn't make any sense.

He was upset about the Cyborg Superman storyline....do t remember him being upset inside Season 3.

I really liked this episode. I may be alone in this, but I thought they dealt with the anti-alien thing more delicately than they do usually (example, the episode where Kara hits a bodyguard last season or the guns one?) and connecting Kara's fight with J'onn to Kara's fear that she would go through what she went through back in S3 seems more reasonable than making her blind just for the sake of it. I could actually see her side.

Anyways, I always like it when Kara has scenes with J'onn where they connect or debate based on their shared outlook as outsiders. Besides, people's development doesn't happen in a one and done fashion. So, it is natural, Kara might not totally relate to other aliens with different phenotype.. and may need to reminded every once in a while of that. (Also, she didn't mention it later in the episode or with Alex, but it'd be difficult for anyone to her that they are cheered because of how they look rather than what they do no matter how true it is.. or if they have been told that before).

I am actually happy that they are bringing this different side to J'onn. And, I liked his scenes as well. Apparently, he is going to be the window to man on the street (or alien on the street).

I liked seeing the growth of Danvers' relationship over the seasons. They are more equal now with Alex not being always the supportive big sister; but Kara being the one to point out certain things to Alex too.

And.. Kara is great as a mentor. Not like Cat Grant at all.

I liked Lena and Lillian; I really like Lillian. It does appear that SG and Lena are still at odds (and, I like that too).

And it is interesting how they showcased Lena's lack of faith in the system. That seemed very natural to her. And, I don't know if that could lead to complete break up with James. It could just lead to conflict.

I really liked this episode. I may be alone in this, but I thought they dealt with the anti-alien thing more delicately than they do usually
Nah, you're not alone. The consensus I'm getting elsewhere online is that my opinion is the minority one on this ep. Most reactions I've seen seem much more in line with yours and pretty positive in general about this premiere.

As an immigrant, the real world politics is my favorite part. Especially since we’re dealing with a real life Lex Luthor right now (a xenophobic billionaire who demonizes aliens).

Superman comics came out at a time when immigrants needed a beacon to look up to. Immigrants need the Super family again, especially today. Shows like Supergirl and the upcoming take on Roswell are needed.

Another little touch I liked: Kara speaking multiple languages in the opening montage of her saves around the world. One of the often overlooked traits of Kryptonians is their knack for languages, so I love it when they remember little things like that.

Last edited:
This airs on Sunday now? I was shocked when I saw updates about it last night.

I completely forgot what happened at the nd of last season but what happened to Winn?

How about the Legion, incuding Mon-El? Why is Braniac still around? I have to say Braniac >>> Winn

This airs on Sunday now? I was shocked when I saw updates about it last night.

I completely forgot what happened at the nd of last season but what happened to Winn?

How about the Legion, incuding Mon-El? Why is Braniac still around? I have to say Braniac >>> Winn

Winn returned with the Legion to the future (so the actor could quit the show). Brainy stayed in the present to sort of take his place.

Winn returned with the Legion to the future (so the actor could quit the show). Brainy stayed in the present to sort of take his place.
I didn't think he quit, but rather opted for a lesser role. Isn't he due to appear this season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"