Supergirl Season 4, Episode 11: "Blood Memory" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
Official description released:

KATE BURTON GUEST STARS; NIA AND KARA VISIT NIA’S HOMETOWN — Kara (Melissa Benoist) joins Nia (Nicole Maines) on a trip to Nia’s hometown to visit her family during the town’s annual Harvest Festival. While home, Nia’s mother (guest star Kate Burton) encourages her daughter to embrace her destiny. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) deals with a street drug that is turning people violent and giving them temporary superpowers. Shannon Kohli directed the episode written by Jessica Queller & Dana Horgan (#411).

I'm guessing Lena's gonna be accidentally responsible for this street drug in some way. Maybe this is what leads to Manchester getting his powers.

I figured she would try it on herself first....

Kara's favorite movie would be The Wizard of Oz.

Terminator 2 would be more up Cisco's alley. Or just about any of the Legends.

Yeah, they established that as her favorite movie a while back. Also seems appropriate that Terminator 2 is Alex's favorite, lol.

I mean, I knew this would obviously backfire on them but still, this is hurting my heart. :(

Yeah...let's leave the invalidation of trans people out of this thread, guys. That's a can o' worms we're not opening here.

Damn, the wipe has clearly done a quite a bit of damage to our girl Alex. I'm actually surprised that she is so cold to Supergirl, considering that she still has the memories of them working together. She may not know anymore that she is her sister, but they've basically been partners for three years at the DEO. But I guess there's no telling what can happen when you mess with someone's mental make-up.

Anyway, I was hoping for a little more Kara/Alex time. I like Nia but I would much prefer they focused for on the sisterly-dynamic between Kara and Alex rather than using Nia and her sister as a metaphore. And has Nia displayed any super-strength before and I missed it? The preview for next week has her throwing a guy while dressed in her new super-duds.

As to her getting the Dreaming powers even though she did not start out as a woman, I'm assuming now that it is not something physical but instead mental or even spiritual. Her spirit/soul is feminine and that is what actually matters in this instance, not the form her body started out in.

And we got to see more of Red Daughter, though I wonder what's going on with her now? And who that general was talking about in America. Hmmm?

And we got to see more of Red Daughter, though I wonder what's going on with her now? And who that general was talking about in America. Hmmm?
Yeah, this was the most intriguing part of the episode for me. Very curious about both those questions.

Red Daughter sending shockwaves half way across the world infecting various things such as pills is so Smallville lol.

Would this new DEO really let J'onn just waltz in? Arent they all anti alien now?

I can see that they are gearing up for an Alex vs. Supergirl showdown soon.

I love Karas reveal *takes off glasses and flys* Nia pieces it together. To this day I dont know why they just never go with enchanted glasses.

As to her getting the Dreaming powers even though she did not start out as a woman, I'm assuming now that it is not something physical but instead mental or even spiritual. Her spirit/soul is feminine and that is what actually matters in this instance, not the form her body started out in.

I really hope that they have explore it on a deeper level. This would also be an interesting to explore about their people in general because I dont see her being the only one to have ever gone through this.

Last edited:
I loved this episode. They played on both Alex's and Kara's vulnerabilities with respect to eachother, showed how subtle is the line that divides them and used Nia and May to show the differences as well as the strengths.

I can understand Alex being unemotional towards Supergirl. Any memory Alex may have of Supergirl showing vulnerabilities to her would have been wiped off because Alex's mind would have been filled with Kara (rather than Supergirl) all those times. So, the remaining memories would all be of Supergirl being invulnerable. That probably closed Alex's mind off--for the moment--to the possibilities and an internal understanding of who Supergirl is.

Kasnian Kara may be the key to Alex regaining some of her sense of Supergirl. But, I hope that Kara decides to try and build a new relationship with Alex as Supergirl anyways.. and don't just give up on her and Alex because Alex doesn't know her any more.

Melissa was wonderful throughout the episode. As was Chyler (showing her self-doubt) and David.

Yep, that seems to be what they were going for; and I thought it was handled quite well. I.e., in past seasons, a social or political issue like this would have been nakedly preachy and heavy-handed. But here, it was nicely integrated in the standard superhero origin. I also thought that Maeve’s reaction was interesting. Initially, she was the liberal, open-mined and accepting sister. But when her relationship with Nia was stressed by personal disappointment, she regressed to an uglier (but more honest?) sentiment - the “you’re not even a real woman” line.

Another well done episode that perfectly highlights how well a lot of this cast can act.

My only gripe was the heavy handed, "lets go visit sissy sister town celebration of all things sisters and family" right after Kara get her heart kicked with the Alex memory thing. Over the top.

Yep, that seems to be what they were going for; and I thought it was handled quite well. I.e., in past seasons, a social or political issue like this would have been nakedly preachy and heavy-handed. But here, it was nicely integrated in the standard superhero origin. I also thought that Maeve’s reaction was interesting. Initially, she was the liberal, open-mined and accepting sister. But when her relationship with Nia was stressed by personal disappointment, she regressed to an uglier (but more honest?) sentiment - the “you’re not even a real woman” line.

There are may time that we say things while 'distressed' that we either don't mean, or know is not right or true and we suppress it. In this instance, Maeve lost her mother and her dream of being a Dreamer at nearly the same time. She's now left with the question, 'what am I now?' and that can be very scary. It made her lash out.
I think they will have the character, when shown again, regaining her equilibrium, but not without a bit of struggle.

I was surprised that Kara revealed her identity to Nia, even as I can understand why. Still though, you just had a problem with too many people knowing that secret and now just reveal it all over again at the drop of a hat?

Last edited:
From Entertainment Weekly's recap:
This goes down during Kara’s game night, where the Danvers sisters have just cleaned up in Exploding Kittens. The thought of James and Lena having an unfair advantage if they were teamed up makes everybody laugh because they have the chemistry of soggy cardboard, and even Red Daughter in her coma knows it.
EW gets me.

Well, the Red Daughter portions are getting more and more interesting. Guess the Harun-el created something more than just a duplicate. I guess we have another path to the Elite. Also betting that the colonel is calling for Lex.

Chyler Leigh is doing a great job at the subtle shifts in Alex. And I love the conflict now between her and Kara as Supergirl.

The Nia stuff was also good. Rough scene with her sister, and I can totally understand where that came from. It did look like there was some regret on her sister's face, but still pretty angry and disappointed.

Red Daughter sending shockwaves half way across the world infecting various things such as pills is so Smallville lol.

Would this new DEO really let J'onn just waltz in? Arent they all anti alien now?

I can see that they are gearing up for an Alex vs. Supergirl showdown soon.

I love Karas reveal *takes off glasses and flys* Nia pieces it together. To this day I dont know why they just never go with enchanted glasses.

I really hope that they have explore it on a deeper level. This would also be an interesting to explore about their people in general because I dont see her being the only one to have ever gone through this.

This episode did remind me a bit of Smallville.

Maybe Red Daughter will be seen by the DEO or Colonel Hailey at the same time as Kara and they'll assume they're two different people. But then why couldn't J'onn have masqueraded as Supergirl while next to Kara?

Couldn't J'onn have just put a block right than wiping Chyler's memory. In Superman, didn't Lois eventually remember after Clark mind wiped her with that kiss? Or am I imagining that? I thought I watched that though.

There are may time that we say things while under duress that we either don't mean, or know is not right or true and we suppress it. In this instance, Maeve lost her mother and her dream of being a Dreamer at nearly the same time. She's now left with the question, 'what am I now?' and that can be very scary. It made her lash out.
I think they will have the character, when shown again, regaining her equilibrium, but not without a bit of struggle.

I was surprised that Kara revealed her identity to Nia, even as I can understand why. Still though, you just had a problem with too many people knowing that secret and now just reveal it all over again at the drop of a hat?

In fact, I think Maeve ran away because she was horrified by what she said. So, I think it is not just that she has rejected Nia (although that is what Nia took away from it) even if it was for a moment, she has to rethink her entire identity. And, she found that all things she despised also came out in her at that one moment. It just exposed the problematic areas she still had within herself that she needs to deal with before she can face her sister again.

Interesting parallel (intentionally) with Alex where she denies Kara her truth by saying she is not vulnerable.

I think that is why Kara came out to Nia. Other than Winn, she is the only person Kara intentionally came out to. And, with Winn as well, it was when she was having a fight with Alex (the initial one). Besides, Nia is an alien herself, so she is targeted anyways. I suppose DEO cannot just go out and get random people in for questioning; so she is safe enough. And even if not, it is not like Alex is going to show the truth to her right now and she needed that relief and support.

The fact that Kara ran away to Parthas also makes sense because Kara does have a tendency to do that when something hurts her in her life.

There are may time that we say things while under duress that we either don't mean, or know is not right or true and we suppress it. In this instance, Maeve lost her mother and her dream of being a Dreamer at nearly the same time. She's now left with the question, 'what am I now?' and that can be very scary. It made her lash out.

When was Maeve ever under duress? No-one was threatening or coercing her to do or say anything if she didn't say those things. She was totally free and said everything she did to Nia under her own free will whether she really meant it or not.

She was merely hurt and upset because her hopes and expectations were shattered. But no-one was holding a gun to her head or threatening her family or blackmailing her to say any of that.

Tough episode for the Danvers sisters. I was heartbroken for Kara when Alex couldn't remember simple things about her and their history. I was actually pretty surprised at Alex's animosity towards Supergirl considering she's still close friends with John and Brainy, but I suppose we have to have some drama.

One thing that is hard for me to believe is that Alex wouldn't recognize Kara in her Supergirl outfit. I mean she's a trained DEO agent and she can't spot that? I really wish the series in general would make something like this more realistic, give a reason as to why people do not recognize her. I mean my brother and I are not even that close, but if he were to put on a cape and tights and even a mask, I'd still recognize him. The age old complaint I suppose.

The stuff with Nia was interesting and I felt so bad for her when her sister reacted the way she did, but I saw that coming from a mile away. Again, drama for the sake of drama.

I'm guessing Lena's gonna be accidentally responsible for this street drug in some way. Maybe this is what leads to Manchester getting his powers.
I don't see how; it was Soviet Kara who's outburst created the street drug.

Damn, the wipe has clearly done a quite a bit of damage to our girl Alex. I'm actually surprised that she is so cold to Supergirl, considering that she still has the memories of them working together. She may not know anymore that she is her sister, but they've basically been partners for three years at the DEO. But I guess there's no telling what can happen when you mess with someone's mental make-up.
I must confess, I'd have thought this too, at least initially, but after hearing what Jonn had to say, it made sense; everything about Alex's relationship with Supergirl originated because of her relationship with Kara (and them being the same person). Take that equation away, and suddenly, you've got a completely different relationship.

This would be the only theme that made sense, unless (from her biological perspective) it's easier for her species to transition between male and female than it would be for a human, so for all her purposes, she's just as female as she wants to be, if that makes sense. Depends whether any alien technology may have been used to change her gender/sex.

The DEO still know who Jonn is, and that military woman wasn't in the building. His identity isn't hidden from Alex, or anyone else that works there, so it's not without reason that he's able to pop by; many of the DEO agents know about Brainy. It's only that military woman who doesn't seem to know about his true identity just yet. No doubt she'll want him gone if he's ever revealed.

The Nia stuff was also good. Rough scene with her sister, and I can totally understand where that came from. It did look like there was some regret on her sister's face, but still pretty angry and disappointed.
In fact, I think Maeve ran away because she was horrified by what she said. So, I think it is not just that she has rejected Nia (although that is what Nia took away from it) even if it was for a moment, she has to rethink her entire identity. And, she found that all things she despised also came out in her at that one moment. It just exposed the problematic areas she still had within herself that she needs to deal with before she can face her sister again.
The stuff with Nia was interesting and I felt so bad for her when her sister reacted the way she did, but I saw that coming from a mile away. Again, drama for the sake of drama.
I did initially think that maybe Maeve was the reason their mother died, and that she had caused it in an attempt to get her powers. Guess I got that wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"