Supergirl Season 4, Episode 15: "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
Heeeee...is a maaaan...of constant sorrow...

JON CRYER GUEST STARS AS ICONIC DC COMICS’ VILLAIN LEX LUTHOR —Secretly furloughed from prison due to failing health, Lex Luthor (guest star Jon Cryer) visits his sister, Lena (Katie McGrath), to seek her help finding a cure. Savvy as ever, Lena is suspicious of Lex’s motives but when she’s faced with a life and death situation, she must decide how she truly feels about her brother. Meanwhile, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and J’onn (David Harewood) face off against Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala). James’ sister Kelly (guest star Azie Tesfai) comes to town. Tawnia Mckiernan directed the episode written by Derek Simon & Nicki Holcomb (#415). Original airdate 3/17/2019.

So James has mentioned having a sister before, right?

Cryer makes a good Lex.

Yeah, Cryer's pretty decent here.

Also, wow J'onn did a quick 180º on his whole pacifist thing, lol.

Aw man, I was afraid of this with Eve. I really liked her.

So she's Teschmaker.

The end made it all possible. Eve Tessmacher revealing to work for Lex didn’t surprise me after last week.

Imagine a new Superman movie or TV series with Tyler Hoechlin, Bitsie Tulloch, and Jon Cryer.

Lex is going to show the the villains of other DCU shows how it’s done and why he is Superman’s arch-enemy.

Jon’s Lex reminds me of former pro wrestler Justin Credible.

How it's done? Let's not suddenly act like none of the other Arrowverse/DCCW shows haven't had compelling or good performances from the antagonists.

Mercy better be secretly alive somewhere too, dammit. :argh:

How it's done? Let's not suddenly act like none of the other Arrowverse/DCCW shows haven't had compelling or good performances from the antagonists.

Too bad as some of the other show’s antagonist have worn out their welcome and become predictable. They will never outdo Lex!!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Lex has only had one episode, lol.

Right? I mean, you can like the performance, but you're acting like Cryer gave a Heath Ledger Joker-esque performance. But sounds more like you're just on a high with the episode and can't really talk objectively about the Arrowverse villains, so I'm pretty much talking to a wall right now, vanth.

Whatever Notnickfury.

Yes Lex has one episode and already he is generating buzz.

Buzz yeah. look Cryer was better than I thought he was going to be but give it a couple episode.

I really liked his Lex. It was consistent with other versions we've seen before yet they've given us a new unique Lex at the same time.

That's usually a sign of a good update to a Legacy character like Lex Luthor. You respect the other versions without copying them, and bringing some new without it being totally removed from the character.

He has an arrogance snarkiness , and sharp tongue , yet at the same time, you could see why and how Lena could care about him, and perhaps, how Clark could have been friends with him.

He's certainly much more effective at emotional manipulation than the other Lex's that have come before.

Rosenbum and Shay are my favorites so far , but I'm really liking Cryer's first crack at Lex.

I thought Cryer was pretty good up until the end with the big reveal. Then I felt he stepped into cringe territory when he started to act like Gene Hackman/Kevin Spacey Lex Luthor. Hope he dials it back in the following episodes. Still prefer Rosenbaum’s Lex.

I thought Cryer was pretty good up until the end with the big reveal. Then I felt he stepped into cringe territory...

Yeah. At the moment of the reveal, there was a “good” impression that Lex was a master manipulator - and that his ensuing escape would be equally brilliant. Instead, what with the surprise resurrection and secret lasers and pyrotechnics, it felt like cheap deus ex machina stuff. Now to be fair, this was less about Cryer’s performance and more about the writing.

Also - what was the point of cloaking Lena’s mansion?

yeah, we have to see how it plays out. This is a Lex that has been butting heads with Superman for years and is only just now meeting Supergirl face to face. He's not a slouch.

Cryer's Lex was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't huge on the reveal at the end though and I think a lot of us knew Eve was involved somehow.

This episode felt a little off to me and didn't feel like a Supergirl episode. Seems like all she did was use freeze breath and float in the sky too.

Not a fan of James' sister either.

Still looking forward to more Lex next week

Yeah. At the moment of the reveal, there was a “good” impression that Lex was a master manipulator - and that his ensuing escape would be equally brilliant. Instead, what with the surprise resurrection and secret lasers and pyrotechnics, it felt like cheap deus ex machina stuff. Now to be fair, this was less about Cryer’s performance and more about the writing.

Also - what was the point of cloaking Lena’s mansion?

Let us not forget when Reign visited. I do not doubt that it was full of even more booby traps that he could activate. I figure that the cloak was just to remind us that the mansion could cloak.

Fantastic episode. Would have been perfect if I had not felt that the Manchester Black was a distraction of what should have been the main focus of the episode.

I am personally fine with the Eve reveal. I remember when we first met her, thinking "why would an MIT graduate apply for a secretary job for Cat Grant?".

Cryer was excellent. Here's hoping he and Hoechlin can have a scene together eventually.

I liked Cryer as Lex. But, then when they showed the pic of Lilian, I was reminded that the age differences between the actors is funny.

Only surprise for me was Otis being alive (Mercy better be too but I fear she isn't :().

Also that Manchester was killed off (please let it be some trick he did :argh:). At least J'onn Martianed up.

Oh, another surprise is that Brainy and Nia kissed (at least in this episode). Just assumed it wouldn't happen or if it did, it'd be like in the season finale.

I figured Eve was the one who shot Lex since it'd be a nice surprise that she actually was working for him the whole time. Lex pulling strings and playing the long game is something that always fits the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WolverineHunt01
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"