Season 5: Episode 4 "News Flash"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by Speed Force, Oct 28, 2018.

?

Rate the episode

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Speed Force Goober

2. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

How many times does Ralph have to feel defeated and need a boost of confidence? I try to like him and they just make it soooooo hard.

Flash525 likes this.
  3. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Iris cant cook lol. Bless her heart for trying.

One thing I consistently enjoy about The FLash is that we see the chill moments of their lives.

I swear having Nora around is like having a teenager.

Ugh Boring Wells.

Yikes...Nora you are harsh, ya need to calm down on your Iris tude! Iris you need to get that website of yours togetha!

We have
    Iris - Investigative report
    Barry - CSI
    Joe - Detective
    Nora - CSI
    Ralph - Investigator
    Annoying Wells - Investigator.

How many people do we need with similar skill sets? Though they only put like 2 of them to use at a time.

So is Nora bi? lesbian?

GUess its a good thing that Barry is faster then XS.

I really hate this whole "duplicating of powers" into a little gadget thing.

Of course Iris gets to do her job offscreen.

Meta tech....very newagy but I guess Cisco was ahead of the times.

Do you think Iris took your powers away because she was afraid of losing you like she did Barry?

#3 Primal Slayer, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. Speed Force Goober

Have to say, it has been a really solid start to this season. Best season since season 2 so far.

A little weird without Cisco. Is this the first episode he wasn't in?

Sherloque Wells is still...meh. Love what they did with Ralph this episode though.

I like that even in a "filler" episode, very villain of the week type, they moved the plot forward. We found out more about what the deal with Iris and Nora is and slowly we're learning about Cicada.

I like that they've slowly been giving us more info about him but at the same time, I'm intrigued and want more.

A couple week break but man, the Rag Doll episode looks intense.

5. herolee10 No More Miracles

Really? So i guess impulse (Bart Allen) does not exist in this version.

I am surprised thay they made both Oliver's and Barry's kids gay though. Just doesn't feel natural about it.

6. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Bart could still exist, Nora can still have children.

I do have to laugh that both shows have their future kids in the show and both are gay with parent issues. I wonder if they communicated with one another on this.

7. herolee10 No More Miracles

I do not want to come off as ignorant but how can Bart exist if Nora is not into having kids with a guy?

Just to clarify people on this, the only reasons why I am not a fan of this is because:

1. Feels like a rehash of what Arrow is currently doing with Future William.

2. I am a big fan of Bart/Impulse, so the idea that he may not exist in this version kind of sucks.

8. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

artificial insemination.

9. Slick Yup

They could mix it up and have Wally be Bart’s dad. I mean they made Wally and Iris brother and sister so we know their not afraid of mixing up the canon.

10. herolee10 No More Miracles

Then that would make Impulse Bart West as opposed to being Bart Allen and one of the character's defining traits has always been that he is Barry Allen's Grandson.

That is almost as bad as when B&R made Barbara into Alfred's niece as opposed to being the daughter of James Gordon.

Ah, I had almost forgotten about that.

I mean if they go down that way then it is what it is (after all, this show started with the premise that Barry and Iris are foster siblings).

Still, I never thought that I would see the day where Bart could be the product of artificial insemination. Lol

And of course this could all be proven moot if the timeline changes again after this season and it is revealed that Barry and Iris managed to have another kid as well or that Nora is bi like Sara.

11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I mean hey...for Bart Allen is originally the son of Don Allen right? And if he were Dawns kid then that means that she likely never married her or stayed with her baby daddy so its practically the same thing. Just more expensive.

12. Pennywise Registered

Ralph doing detective work on Cicada and the twist regarding the enlightenment were the best parts of the episode!

The promo for the episode with Rag Doll! :wow: Wish we didn’t have to wait two weeks!!! :argh:

13. Thome216 Registered

Really liked this ep! Ralph doing some good detective work on something other than a cheating spouse was cool.
    I think the reveal that Nora is bi/gay was actually pretty sweet. She was really crushing on that girl, it was cute!
    But damn, Iris, putting a meta-inhibitor in your own kid?! I have to think that she must have been traumatized when Barry disappeared, but damn I feel that is cold!
    Good scene too between Barry and Nora in the arena, but...
    What was that sequence when he started running backwards!?!?!?!?!?!?
    At first I thought he was doing that on purpose, but then his streak was going the wrong way and he seemed surprised by the impact...
    What happened there?!

14. fan4stic Registered

I don’t approve of keeping it in for so long and not telling her is wrong, but I think it’s easy to see why a a single human parent wouldn’t want their child to have superspeed, running around. With a supervillain whose never been caught that apparently kills metas.
    I thought the same. How do all the superheroes have a gay kid? Will this happen with Kara too?

On another note: This was the 1st episode of the season that I thought didn't surpass or match at least the majority of previous seasons episodes that were of that season's number. I thought Going Rogue, Family Of Rogues and Elongated Journey Into Night were basically constructed better.
    They showed apparently Nora do that in the s4 finale and had her about say that she can rewind time a little in the premiere. I guess it was her.

#14 fan4stic, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Flash525 and Thome216 like this.
  15. Frodo Registered

I don't quite know how I feel about future Iris's choice. I guess I still have to see the full context of what lead her to it. She clearly thought she was doing the right thing , but at the same time , it was bound to blow up in her face eventually. Maybe we'll get a better indication of what leads to Iris's choices throughout the season.

16. legendkillin Registered

That may have been the worst opening scene in the history of the show. That acting was so bad from the camcorder girl, I am hoping she gets better after that but damn.

17. Ninjablade Not as bad as it looks

I thought the episode was okay, Nora trying to kill Barry was a cool sequence, I liked that she only managed to pin him because she has a power he doesn't. I hope they go into what this ability is, because it being a being a byproduct of her running seems a little odd.

I liked seeing more of just the character's daily lives. Something as simple as a company softball game or the West-Allen family having breakfast was nice.

Ralph doing detective work was great. Moving really quickly on this Cicada thing. I wonder when they'll wrap up this arc, because it seems like they're committing to the 3 different arc structure. Speaking of Cicada, his origin still doesn't make any sense based on the timeframe we're looking at for all these events, but I'll let it slide. We need something that'll create this years meta problem. The idea that dark matter is infecting technology is really stupid.

First episode without Cisco. Was weird not seeing him around. I guess that leaves Barry, Caitlin, and Iris as the only characters to appear in every episode of the show so far.

This whole Iris thing is interesting. I actually like the idea, but I fear they're going to drag it out and then the eventual resolution will not be fulfilling. Not sure yet, the final scene between the three of them felt off. The way it was handled in this episode just put me off it. Wonder if they'll turn it around.

Passable episode, my least favorite of what we've got so far. I'm not feeling this season, something still feels off. The premier was really good, but everything else has been eh for me. I hope I can turn around, but the show needs some more life. Next week's episode looks like it should be interesting, Rag Doll looks super cool.

#17 Ninjablade, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Flash525 likes this.
  18. legendkillin Registered

They really recycle a tech power from last season or did that one guy do something drastically different?

19. legendkillin Registered

Well she lost Barry, she is basically forced into a lead role on the team when she shouldn't be.

20. legendkillin Registered

uhh he was standing in the interrogation scene of the guy with the bomb.

21. Ninjablade Not as bad as it looks

Haha yeah I was about to edit my post. I must've missed that scene when I first watched it.

22. legendkillin Registered

No problem haha I wouldn't have noticed it unless I saw your post at the same time.

23. legendkillin Registered

Cait can punch a dude in the chest as hard as possible without even feeling some pain in her hand? haha

24. legendkillin Registered

So Cicada just got shrapnel from the satellite in him? Since the debris did not create new metas but meta tech what if he just got hit with fragments. He would gain an ability but have pain from it.

25. Frodo Registered

Well we know Barry is gone, but then again, we don't really know what role Team Flash has , if any, if Iris's decision in the future. We also don't know what Joe's position will be on it . At the same time, unless I've missed something, I'm not sure how far in the future Nora is born . I forgot if Barry's even around for the birth of Nora of if he disappeared when she was young. Did he have a part in the decision in the future to begin with? etc.

While I can infer what the exact circumstances of Iris's choice will be from these first few episodes, I'd really have to see the context and the details which lead to future Iris's choice before I could really come down on either side of whether I agree with her choice or not.

In other words, I have to wait and see how the writers will elaborate on how her future Iris's decision is made.

I'd be stunned if they didn't , so I have a feeling we'll probably see future Iris ,and see how she comes to that choice through flash forwards.