Season 6, Episode 5 "The Door" Discussion Thread

Ugh, the ending had me at the edge of my seat. And then Summer and Hodor, man.

I forget who they were supposed to be, but who were the kids hugging in the flashback and why were they hugging? Ned and someone else?

And am I the only one who laughed when it looked like Theon's uncle wasn't going to wake up?

Last edited:
Lencho, for about two seconds I thought he was actually dead and that would've been hilarious.

Some random things I loved:

- Sansa raking Baelish over the coals was delicious and yet he still manages a parting shot. Sansa's and Jon's relationship will be ruined by season's end, I'll bet. :csad:

- Kinvara was spectacular, just her whole aura. I want her and Melisandre to have a smug *****-off.

- PlayCersei is sleeping with her "brother" just like her real-life counterpart.

- Torienne is still a thing.

- The goodbye between Dan and Jorah was really sweet.

Some random things I hated:

- Melisandre has gone at least two episodes without any lines. She better start speaking soon.

- That play ran for a trifle too long.

- What was up with the actor showing off his warty penis? Just odd.

- Yara and Theon were able to make off with the boats too easily. I guess that's kind of in keeping with the Greyjoys being hopeless idiots, though. :funny:

Fz1LcvC.jpg

LUb8CtP.png

TKVPlRN.jpg

I forget who they were supposed to be, but who were the kids hugging in the flashback and why were they hugging? Ned and someone else?

Ned and Benjen. Right before Ned leaving for the Vale to be fostered by Jon Arryn.
I wonder if all this bond between Ned and Benjen they are showing us is maybe to make us not forget about Benjen. He may show up....

Also, loved Lord Rickard's look. At first I thought it was Sean Bean 😁😁

Hold the door.

What? Crying? Me?

I was cutting onions. **** you.

You missed one. That symbol appeared in the first 10 minutesof season 1. When the rangers are ranging beyond the wall and come across the slaughtered wildlings.

I didn't miss it. While it's more of their "art", it's just not a matching spiral pattern like the others.

main-qimg-699c58145ea97a705ba9dc8189b2d323

We don't know what that correlates to yet.

I didn't miss it. While it's more of their "art", it's just not a matching spiral pattern like the others.

main-qimg-699c58145ea97a705ba9dc8189b2d323

We don't know what that correlates to yet.

It correlates to the Children:

"Nothing in George R.R. Martin's world is black and white, which is why many fans speculated for years that there was more to the White Walkers and the Children of the Forest than meets the eye. According to Benioff and Weiss, this payoff was something they were building toward since the beginning of the series.

"There are certain symbols and patterns that recur throughout the show," said Benioff. "The first time we saw that was one of the very first scenes in the pilot, when Will the ranger sees the Wildling body parts in an odd pattern displayed by the White Walkers. We see it again north of the Wall with the dead horses displayed in a spiral pattern, and then you see it again here and see where these patterns come from, they they're ancient symbols of the Children of the Forest used in their rituals, and the Children of the Forest created the White Walkers."

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/2...ners-break-down-major-white-walker-revelation

Last edited:
It correlates to the Children:

Yes, I saw/heard that in the 'Inside Of' vid to which I linked here last night. It was referenced as the first time a symbol was depicted in the show but we still don't know to which specific site it correlates. Not the one we saw evidently; that one is a match to the spiral of dead horses left near the Fist of the First Men.

Yeah, they like to connect them, which is fine, but that ain't the same symbol, so it doesn't really go with the pattern.

Yes, I saw/heard that in the 'Inside Of' vid to which I linked here last night. It was referenced as the first time a symbol was depicted in the show but we still don't know to which specific site it correlates. Not the one we saw evidently; that one is a match to the spiral of dead horses left near the Fist of the First Men.

It doesnt correlate to a site. Its a symbol the children used just like the spiral. Just like Weiss said. They are ritual symbols that were used in rituals. Like when they made the night's king at that tree with the symbol made of stones around it. They dont corelate to a site. They corelateto the Children and their rituals.

The Nights King and his Walkers seem to put them at places that they have slaughtered people. Its a ritualistic thing.

Both those symbols are ritual symbols that The Children used and the White Walkers use. So they are related regardless of where they are placed.

If I had to make a guess they are most likely pictograms. Pictogram alphabets tend to predate letter alphabets like the ones men use. My guess is these pictograms each mean something in the "Old Language" whatever it is. Magic is obviously connected to them too. The children use them in their rituals and made the symbols with things like stones. The Night's King uses them at the sites of his slaughters using body parts. Hes basically taking something "pure" the Children used and turning it into something grotesque.

It doesnt correlate to a site. Its a symbol the children used just like the spiral. Just like Weiss said. They are ritual symbols that were used in rituals. Like when they made the night's king at that tree with the symbol made of stones around it. They dont corelate to a site. They corelateto the Children and their rituals.

The Nights King and his Walkers seem to put them at places that they have slaughtered people. Its a ritualistic thing.

Both those symbols are ritual symbols that The Children used and the White Walkers use. So they are related regardless of where they are placed.

:funny: They do correlate to sites -that's why they were shown on them in aerial views.

I don't disagree that they are ritualistic symbols, but the symbols were obviously 'inscribed' onto the sites in large form.

If I had to make a guess they are most likely pictograms. Pictogram alphabets tend to predate letter alphabets like the ones men use. My guess is these pictograms each mean something in the "Old Language" whatever it is. Magic is obviously connected to them too. The children use them in their rituals and made the symbols with things like stones. The Night's King uses them at the sites of his slaughters using body parts. Hes basically taking something "pure" the Children used and turning it into something grotesque.

Yes, they are probably arcane glyphs.

:funny: They do correlate to sites -that's why they were shown on them in aerial views.

I don't disagree that they are ritualistic symbols, but the symbols were obviously 'inscribed' onto the sites in large form.
Which is exactly why they used the shot so many different times in this episode. :funny:

Lencho, for about two seconds I thought he was actually dead and that would've been hilarious.

I was hoping he would die since he was so ready to start some stuff.

Ned and Benjen. Right before Ned leaving for the Vale to be fostered by Jon Arryn.
I wonder if all this bond between Ned and Benjen they are showing us is maybe to make us not forget about Benjen. He may show up....

Also, loved Lord Rickard's look. At first I thought it was Sean Bean 😁😁

Oh, ok. I had to Google the dude because I completely forgot who that was. Cool that it's tying back to Season 1 and Ned becoming the Hand of the King.

Another damn good episode, this season has been ****ing amazing! HOLD THE DOOR!

Did they change actors for the night's king?

Richard Brake played him in season 4 and 5 but they got Vladimir Furdik for season 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"