Season 6, Episode 5 "The Door" Discussion Thread

There'll be just one direwolf and one Stark family member left at the end of this.

Jon-Snow-on-the-Iron-Throne.jpg

Oh nice! I swear that wasn't there before lol.

I didn't see it earlier either... must have edited it lol

Theres no way to talk about Nymeria or Benjen without spoilers so :sly:

so question about direwolves:

are they an endangered species or rare breed? i remember them finding the pups in the first episode, but i dont remember much other than that. like, they seem a lot bigger than regular dogs, bigger than regular wolves, so if they're rare and not many people have them, wouldn't one stick out? like wouldn't people notice nymeria if she was out in public

Direwolves aren't creatures native to the lands South of the Wall, in fact the ones belonging to the Stark children are the only ones in the Seven Kingdoms.

Wonder how common they are North of the Wall.

I really don't get people's fascination with Hodor's character or their sadness over his death. For me, the two most interesting and impactful things about the Bran storyline last night were the revelation that the Children of the Forest essentially doomed themselves and everyone else in the world of GoT by creating the White Walkers and the Night King (no 's') and the revelation that Bran can somehow affect the past.

He's one of the only innocent characters in the whole show. I felt nothing when other major noon-Stark characters die but this one was pretty sad.

....except he didn't change the past.

I really don't get people's fascination with Hodor's character or their sadness over his death. For me, the two most interesting and impactful things about the Bran storyline last night were the revelation that the Children of the Forest essentially doomed themselves and everyone else in the world of GoT by creating the White Walkers and the Night King (no 's') and the revelation that Bran can somehow affect the past.

He can't affect the past because it already happened.

When young Ned turned his head when Bran called him wasn't that affecting the past? I don't think he'd be distracted by 'a gust of wind' with the urgency of what was going on in the Tower and hearing the screams.

If Bran hadn't been visiting Winterfell in the past via greenseeing, Wylis would never have become Hodor, so, yes, Bran's actions DID affect (I didn't say change) the past.

He can affect the past but he can't change it. All of his actions are predetermined. Whatever happened, happened.

and this is why time looping ******** is stupid lol

Wonder how common they are North of the Wall.

Not really sure. I don't recall the books ever saying if they encountered other Direwolves Beyond the Wall, just that its home to all sorts of prehistoric type creatures such as mammoths, Shadow Cats, and big apes (Giants).

Not really sure. I don't recall the books ever saying if they encountered other Direwolves Beyond the Wall, just that its home to all sorts of prehistoric type creatures such as mammoths, Shadow Cats, and big apes (Giants).

Brienne. :hehe:

Oh would have loved to see some of those. The giant surely deserves a pet mammoth to play with at least.

To each his own. I think stuff like time travel and causality loops can be used for great storytelling when done properly. And I think they pulled it off here, against the odds. For me, it was the most tragic scene of the show.

I'd also point out that the circumstances of how Wylis became Hodor aren't something that David and Dan concocted, but something that came straight from GRMM.

To each his own. I think stuff like time travel and causality loops can be used for great storytelling when done properly. And I think they pulled it off here, against the odds. For me, it was the most tragic scene of the show.

I wasn't really saying it didn't work or anything.. im just saying its stupid because it brings up debates that really don't matter like 'change the past or not blah blah' if you see where I am going... it just brings up debate that isn't really necessary to talk about lol

it's not like hes going to prevent the Red Wedding or anything. (saying that completely hypothetically as to where this time travel stuff could lead)
I'd also point out that the circumstances of how Wylis became Hodor aren't something that David and Dan concocted, but something that came straight from GRMM.

yes yes we know. no one said anything about that.

I kind of like how it's been used here. But hopefully it stays without future consequences.

Reek: You're arguing that time travel and casualty loops make for stupid storytelling, but the ultimate rebuttal to that is that both of these ideas came straight from GRRM.

Reek: You're arguing that time travel and casualty loops make for stupid storytelling, but the ultimate rebuttal to that is that both of these ideas came straight from GRRM.

Once again... Who said it didn't come straight from GRRM? Read what I have been saying. I'm trying to make it apparent that Bran isn't changing the past so people don't start the whole "The Flash" type thing where he can fix **** that has happened.

And no one is arguing.

....except he didn't change the past.

He can't affect the past because it already happened.

He can affect the past but he can't change it. All of his actions are predetermined. Whatever happened, happened.

I should have reworded these post... simply saying 'he can't change anything' I was more so making it a public statement than debating anything. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"