Supergirl SEASON 6, EPISODES 19-20: "The Last Gauntlet" / "Kara" - SERIES FINALE (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
"The Last Gauntlet" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV- PG, V) (HDTV)

THE PENULTIMATE EPISODE KICKS OFF THE TWO-HOUR FINALE FOR "SUPERGIRL" - In the penultimate buildup to the season finale, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and the super friends take drastic action after a loved one is kidnapped by Nyxly (Peta Sergeant) and Lex (guest star Jon Cryer). An unlikely ally steps in to help the team. The episode was directed by Glen Winter with story by J. Holtham and teleplay by Derek Simon & Jay Faerber (#619). Original airdate 11/9/2021.

"Kara" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV- PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE EPIC SERIES FINALE BRINGS BACK FAMILIAR FACES AND FEATURES A BEAUTIFUL WEDDING - In the epic series finale, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is joined by familiar faces from the past to help her stop Lex (guest star Jon Cryer) and Nyxly (Peta Sergeant) for good. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Kelly (Azie Tesfai) prepare to walk down the aisle. Mehcad Brooks, Jeremy Jordan and Chris Wood return for the series finale. The episode was directed by Jesse Warn with story by Robert Rovner & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Rob Wright & Derek Simon (#620). Original airdate 11/9/2021.

New trailer:

No Samantha returning for the finale? It's as if they have forgotten she existed. And I guess Clark won't show up or Cat.

It's going to feel like a Supergirl movie.

Thought I would tune in for the finale. Haven’t seen the show in years. Forgot how hokey it was. Melissa deserves better.

It was such a laughably bad series finale writing wise....fanfics are more well written BUT it was pretty on par with the season so I guess in that sense it was good?

Loved how the totems are taking away everyones love, will, etc....and turning them grey but Supergirls powerful speech (very popular in the Arrowverse) is able to save everyone and bring back the color to their life. The alien with the dark mascara eyes made me laugh. Karas speech was SO POWERFUL that it made the history books and summoned the Legion lol.

It was nice to see all the familiar faces again so there's that. Wasnt expecting Cat so she was a great surprise, RPDR S1 filter and all. I really hope that was a Calista requirement and not someone in post lol.

The best parts were all of the civilian moments with everyone, that is where Supergirl has always excelled.

Cat just so conveniently buys CatCo back and Kara conveniently gets promoted to editor in chief, and they all get to take over the DEO and do whatever they want with it. They really wanted to put the sappiest happy ending on everything they could.

Kara reveals herself at the end so now that she/Oliver both have public identities...figuring out everyone else should be a breeze! But you know they gave zero Fs about the impact on the Arrowverse which is fine since I want this pretty much ignored if Kara ever shows up on Superman and Lois but I love that all these random tv screens just popped up around National City buildings.

Supergirl turned into an Adam West Batman type show which will appeal to some, sadly not to me so the shows rewatch value is at like a 4/10 for me but it was nice that Supergirl got a 6 season series.

Wrapping up the Lex/Nyxly battle that easily and so soon into the episode reminded me of how quickly Titans dispatched Deathstroke in the Season 2 finale.

Felt a bit...rushed, honestly, and it was interesting to see the wedding take up so much of the episode, while Kara herself felt a bit sidelined until she got the pep talk from Cat Grant...and later Lena. Even though we know that Alex will be in the Armageddon special, it's unfortunate that we probably won't see any of these characters. Would be interesting to see how the world reacts to Supergirl's identity being made public.

I think the better series finale title should Kara Zor-El, Superwoman as a nod to the Future State comics earlier this year.

They had to bring back things from the past seasons, especially the first season with Red Tornado, Overgirl, and past alumni. Glad to see Esme survived.

The one character I never thought to see again is Callista Flockheart's Cat Grant. You can't end it without her. Callista still refuses to relocate to Vancouver as they had to accommodate her. About time they addressed Cat knowing Kara's identity. Also didn't expect to see Lillian Luthor.

That line involving Elisa Danvers was a wink nod to the Supergirl 1984 movie.

In a way this feels parallel with Smallville's series finale - wedding and the clash of the Luthors. Wheras in Smallville Clark's journey ended when he became Superman, while Kara's journey was about merging her two sides as one.

My prediction of Sasha Calle appearing as Supergirl didn't come true as that would have been a passing of the torch moment.

Since Kara outed herself in public, it'd be interesting if this is going to be acknowledged or ignored in Superman & Lois. If it's the former Superman & Lois is in Earth-Prime. If not, then Superman & Lois has to be in a parallel universe.

We want to thank the cast and crew for 6 years and 6 seasons worth of super adventures. It's been a great ride.

My enjoyment and the quality of the show wavered the past couple of years but pretty good finale all things considered, it did feel a little bit rushed though. The final confrontation was weak and made Mon-El returning pointless. At least with Winn and James they attended the wedding and had the nice moment between the OG Superfam. The Kara is Supergirl reveal felt really rushed to, like it just ends there? Felt odd.

Was pleasantly surprised to see Cat return and just everyone in general.

I got a nice cackle out of the exchange between Helen Slater and Chyler "You would think in a past life I was a Kryptonian" "Only in the movies"

Ranking wise, I'd say
  1. Season 4
  2. Season 3
  3. Season 2
  4. Season 1
  5. Season 6
  6. Season 5
Still, a fairly enjoyable 6 season ride. I don't know how much I'll rewatch the series. Maybe seasons 2-4.

So Superman & Supergirl's family are expanding:

House of El - Kal-El, Kara Zor-El, Zor-El, Allura, and Tal-Rho
Kents - Clark, Lois, Jonathan, and Jordan
Lanes - Lois, Lucy, and General Sam
Danvers - Kara, Alex, and Elisa
Irons - John Henry & Natalie
Olsens - James & Kelly

My prediction of Sasha Calle appearing as Supergirl didn't come true as that would have been a passing of the torch moment.

Why would they have done a passing of the torch? The movies have next to nothing to do with the Arrowerse. It'd be like Batfleck showing up in Pattersons film to pass the torch for no reason.

Just finished it over here in California and I thought this was overall a satisfying finale and I’m going to miss this show. I mean it ended with what the show and character represented…Hope imo. So I’m pretty happy.

Why would they have done a passing of the torch? The movies have next to nothing to do with the Arrowerse. It'd be like Batfleck showing up in Pattersons film to pass the torch for no reason.

Ezra Miller Flash says hi. Also we don't know if Melissa may play Supergirl again or not.

They totally ignored Clark/Superman. They made it seem like Kara was the first and only superhero who protected Earth. Seems only fair S&L do the same and not mention Kara/Supergirl.

Gotta say, everyone spontaneously showing up at the battle just got more and more comical as it went on. I lost it when Eliza and her shotgun popped in. :funny: Using the Pleasantville aesthetic to show the effects of the totems was certainly a choice too, lol.

But all in all, I was mostly satisfied. It was definitely cheesy even by this show's standards, but I expected nothing less, tbh. You can tell they made an effort to give each character an ending they deserved, and as schmaltzy as that was, I tend to appreciate that more than finales that care more about subverting expectations than anything else.

Y'all know I've never been James' biggest fan, but him passing on that camera to Esme was a lovely moment that totally got me choked up. Cat coming back was a a really nice surprise. Still using that fuzzy filter on her too. :hehe: That kinda made the episode for me, ngl. As for the season rankings, I'd go:

1.) Season 4
2.) Season 3
3.) Season 2
4.) Season 6
5.) Season 5
6.) Season 1

This season was easily their silliest and didn't have any of what I'd consider their "best" episodes (which reminds me, guess I gotta finish my favorite episode rankings now...), but it was enjoyable more often than not, so that alone puts it above S1 and S5 for me. All in all, this show was a hella messy and uneven ride, but it made for nice comfort viewing and I really will miss the characters. Would love to see some of them show up on Superman & Lois sometime.

I guess I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. If I saw Supergirl blocking a Deadly-Looking Space Ray :wow: with her body, I’d assume she was doing a good thing. Because, you know, she’s Supergirl! So kudos to all those folks who uncannily understood she was depleting the Sun — a bad thing. :toth

Lex and Nyxly had kind of a sudden and anticlimactic exit. Indeed, not even enough time for melodramatic exposition about how their happily-ever-after future had been thwarted.

Also… What was the deal with “Exchange” on the bridge? Lex made a point of explaining (reiterated by Brainy) that this area (due to phlebotinum) rendered both superpowers and tech inert. Therefore, neutral ground. Yet later, for the big battle, everyone seemed to have their full compliment of abilities and toys. :ebr:

I guess I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. If I saw Supergirl blocking a Deadly-Looking Space Ray :wow: with her body, I’d assume she was doing a good thing. Because, you know, she’s Supergirl! So kudos to all those folks who uncannily understood she was depleting the Sun — a bad thing. :toth

Lex and Nyxly had kind of a sudden and anticlimactic exit. Indeed, not even enough time for melodramatic exposition about how their happily-ever-after future had been thwarted.

Also… What was the deal with “Exchange” on the bridge? Lex made a point of explaining (reiterated by Brainy) that this area (due to phlebotinum) rendered both superpowers and tech inert. Therefore, neutral ground. Yet later, for the big battle, everyone seemed to have their full compliment of abilities and toys. :ebr:
Right? I was wondering why everyone just knew Supergirl was doing something "bad"

It was specifically the bridge that made things inert, at least that was my takeaway

Ezra Miller Flash says hi. Also we don't know if Melissa may play Supergirl again or not.

Ezra Miller said hi on Crisis on Infinite Earths- a crossover that, by definition, spans multiple universes. Not comparable at all. Also, that wasn't a passing of the torch- that was just a quick surprise cameo in the midst of Gustin's Barry traveling through the multiverse.

This is just Supergirl ending. Not a 'You're Supergirl now' occasion.

That's not a passing of a touch. Was last minute. And they had COIE to thank. He didn't just show up to show up.

They totally ignored Clark/Superman. They made it seem like Kara was the first and only superhero who protected Earth. Seems only fair S&L do the same and not mention Kara/Supergirl.

Oh please. You seem to forget that Supergirl spent 3 seasons w/Superman as a character while Superman has spent 0 w acknowledging Kara. Don't try to justify it w their final season ignoring everyone.

Oh please. You seem to forget that Supergirl spent 3 seasons w/Superman as a character while Superman has spent 0 w acknowledging Kara. Don't try to justify it w their final season ignoring everyone.
Hardly. Superman showed up, personally in season 2, and 4 and 5, and those last 2 were in crossovers. Superman is entirely doing it's own thing. Kara could've had a mention, but it doesn't effect the show, as it's not what the show's about. Kara's journey started in a world with Superman, not the other way around. I like to think I'd think it'd be odd if S&L also did a final season and didn't have Kara have something.

Hardly. Superman showed up, personally in season 2, and 4 and 5, and those last 2 were in crossovers. Superman is entirely doing it's own thing. Kara could've had a mention, but it doesn't effect the show, as it's not what the show's about. Kara's journey started in a world with Superman, not the other way around. I like to think I'd think it'd be odd if S&L also did a final season and didn't have Kara have something.

S1 had Superman talked about plenty but lets not get it twisted. The comment was trying to justify "SG ignored SM this season so its only fair that SM ignores SG" which it doesn't justify SM ignoring SG in s1.

S1 had Superman talked about plenty but lets not get it twisted. The comment was trying to justify "SG ignored SM this season so its only fair that SM ignores SG" which it doesn't justify SM ignoring SG in s1.
I said personally showed up, not mentioned. I wasn't into him being talked about so much, in the way they did it, myself. So I don't think a show like S&L needs that, as well.

And I don't think that's much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"