The Walking Dead Season 7, Episode 1 "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" Discussion Thread

Just seen it, and Wow.
The big death was so gruesome I couldn't even look at the screen tbh.

I couldn't either. I thought my tolerance for on screen violence was high but I couldn't watch either death.

Curious to see what happens next

Ezekiel looks amazing. I'll be relieved to get away from the survivors of Negan for a bit and see what Morgan and Carol are up to.

This was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I felt very bad about Abe, but Glenn's death came very unexpected and showing his bashed skull with the eye popping out was just next level stuff.... And that family dinner vision was a very sad and depressing moment.

JDM as Negan is perfection, though. I am truly frightened by Negan and what he did.

That's how you make a season premiere!

Last edited:
:funny:

I really don't think The Walking Dead is a "great" show or anything. It's entertaining though ... And it's especially fun to watch with other people. Even the stupid stuff is fun to react to when you're watching it with other people.

I went to the season 6 premiere at Madison Square Garden last year, and watching it with 10,000+ people was awesome. I just watched that episode again on Netflix recently and it wasn’t nearly as good as I remember it being on the big screens at MSG...but I will go another TWD event like that in a heartbeat. :up:

Omg, this show has so many problems. But I love it. My family loves it. My friends love it. I’ve even made a couple of new friends through this whole fandom madness. I’m very happy to spend 16 Sundays a year obsessing with them over all things Walking Dead, as dopey as this show can get sometimes.

Just watched the premiere. Holy ****. That was the most stressed I've ever been watching an episode of TV. The nonlinear structure was a nice touch; I was worried about how they were going to handle this episode but i think splitting up the finale and premiere was the right way to go.

Darkest episode of television I've seen in a looooong time, if ever. I'm really interested in how this affects the rest of the season.

You know I'm pretty desensitized to onscreen violence, but that shot of the body still twitching gets me every time.

You know I'm pretty desensitized to onscreen violence, but that shot of the body still twitching gets me every time.

I was just saying that in another thread. That disturbed the bad place out of me and up until then I thought myself completely desensitized. The eye hanging out was bad enough but I'm surprised they got away with showing the aftermath. That's the kind of stuff that they usually need to cut out of movies to avoid an NC-17 rating and yet AMC won't air censored f-bombs. :o

It just shows how out of whack censors and FCC regulations are with what TV can get away with. Excessive violence on TV has become more acceptable, but we can't show more sexuality or have F-bombs. It's such a weird puritanical thing.

The actual killing scene and the later scene with Carl are the most horrifying and tense scenes the show has ever done. I was physically writhing during it and I had to get up and look away when [BLACKOUT]Glenn[/BLACKOUT] was dying. Even the sound design was revolting. The actors and filmmakers did an extremely effective job with those moments.

That being said, the episode as a whole wasn't that great. The framing device with Rick was clumsy and it's almost funny how long they waited to get to the reveal. That's kind of TWD in a nutshell; clunky and repetitive storytelling interspersed with occasional moments of brilliance. And this episode was so forcefully bleak that it made me reconsider, again, why I'm still watching this damn show. I don't really have an answer. It's a very frustrating experience.

HOLEE S***! That was a gruesome episode

It just shows how out of whack censors and FCC regulations are with what TV can get away with. Excessive violence on TV has become more acceptable, but we can't show more sexuality or have F-bombs. It's such a weird puritanical thing.

It's not weird as much as it is the censors asking shows to make choices. There are plenty of shows that feature pervasive strong language or sexuality, but they venture into NC-17 territory with all three aspects. Shows have to choose which area will be the most prominent for their storytelling.

I have to say that the violence did get to me. The initial shock of seeing Glenn after the first bash was brutal, but the more they lingered on his face and his popped-out eye, the more I had to cover my eyes. It was effectively unsettling the way they dragged out his death.

Steven Yuen's acting was chillingly good here too (as most of the actors are in this show, really; the cast is the best part of the show, btw). I totally believed he was physically struggling to get the words out and that he was in so much pain that he couldn't fully process what was happening to him.

And the twitching at the end. Damn. I've read the comics, so I THOUGHT I was prepared for the violence that would ensue in this episode, but I was so wrong. Didn't think AMC would allow THAT level of grisly violence, honestly.

Agreed 150%

There has been some footage leaked online of an alternate scene where Negan chooses a different victim. It's about 35 seconds long and not great quality, but in it, Negan clearly kills...

Maggie

Last edited:
There has been some footage leaked online of an alternate scene where Negan chooses a different victim. It's about 35 seconds long and not great quality, but in it, Negan clearly kills...

Maggie

That would have been a really ballsy move if this had happened.

(But I'm fine with who they picked in the long run, as it followed the comics with an interesting twist.)

It was definitely a hard episode for me to stomach. It was pretty gruesome and sad.

I've read the comics, so I THOUGHT I was prepared for the violence that would ensue in this episode, but I was so wrong. Didn't think AMC would allow THAT level of grisly violence, honestly.

I've actually gotten misty-eyed twice reading the comics: Lori's death and Glenn's death. While there have been many gruesome deaths in TWD comics, those were nearly unbearable because they were done in such emotional ways.

The show did an outstanding job of translating Glenn's last desperate thoughts from the comics. I wasn't sure that would come across effectively on TV, but my fears were obviously unfounded.

Last edited:

Maggie

Yeah I just saw the leaked footage. Nicotero said that they filmed everybody in the lineup being Lucille'd. So I wonder if they'll leak more footage of the rest (aside from Abe and Glenn of course) being Lucille'd as well. Or include 'em all on the dvd/blu ray special features at least.

Yeah I just saw the leaked footage. Nicotero said that they filmed everybody in the lineup being Lucille'd. So I wonder if they'll leak more footage of the rest (aside from Abe and Glenn of course) being Lucille'd as well. Or include 'em all on the dvd/blu ray special features at least.

I hope that footage makes the DVDs/Blurays as well. That would be a must-buy for me.

I've actually gotten misty-eyed twice reading the comics: Lori's death and Glenn's death. While there have been many gruesome deaths in TWD comics, those were nearly unbearable because they were done in such emotional ways.

What about, going into later comic territory...

The end of issue 144 with the 11 heads on spikes, including Rosita and Ezekiel?

Wait, they stuck with the whole funeral motif throughout Talking Dead. Lord, it's like some AMC exec thought "Talking Dead is already tacky and self-important but how can we make it MORE tacky and self-important while also upping the dukeebaggery of Chris Hardwick?"
I think it's just that they did this big event in the open, on a big screen watching the premiere, and oddly for LA, it started raining, hence, the umbrellas and the "movie funeral" look.

Hardwick said it started raining right when [BLACKOUT]Abraham was killed[/BLACKOUT]

Maggie

Didnt we read somewhere that they filmed scenes of all 11 actors getting the bat to help keep secrecy, and of course to later use in Rick's visions?

EDIT: Nvm someone confirmed it already above

Wait, they stuck with the whole funeral motif throughout Talking Dead. Lord, it's like some AMC exec thought "Talking Dead is already tacky and self-important but how can we make it MORE tacky and self-important while also upping the dukeebaggery of Chris Hardwick?"

See I dont get the dukee vibe from Hardwick at all. He's really, truly into geek/sci-fi/comic culture and really seems to enjoy this stuff. If you follow him on Instagram he's a huge pop culture nerd. His wedding cake was the Tardis!

bad place, I wouldnt be surprised if he had an account here at one time. ;)

See I dont get the dukee vibe from Hardwick at all. He's really, truly into geek/sci-fi/comic culture and really seems to enjoy this stuff. If you follow him on Instagram he's a huge pop culture nerd. His wedding cake was the Tardis!

bad place, I wouldnt be surprised if he had an account here at one time. ;)

I think he can be really annoying at times, and his nerd cred is definitely played up for the cameras, but I don't mind him. AMC hired him to hype the show, and that's what he does. It is what it is.

I'd love to see Yvette Nicole Brown host Talking Dead from time to time, though. She stepped in for Chris Hardwick to host the MSG show last year and she was hilarious.

I'm a fan of Hardwick, say what you want about him being annoying, but he knows how to host a show or event. Just look at @Midnight and Talking Dead vs the people that hosted the talk shows for Mr. Robot and Game of Thrones.

I'm a fan of Hardwick, say what you want about him being annoying, but he knows how to host a show or event. Just look at @Midnight and Talking Dead vs the people that hosted the talk shows for Mr. Robot and Game of Thrones.

I love @midnight. The Walking Dead one they did was hilarious.

His Star Was Christmas song with James Corden last December was pretty funny too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"